Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

41 minutes ago, Zee said:

I'm still not understanding how multiplayer skiing will work though. Like wouldn't 1 player potentially be far ahead and cause another player to go off screen? I'm interested to see how they've done that aspect of the game.

For 1, I’d be surprised if they didn’t employ dynamic zoom to address a large part of this.  Guessing once thats been maxed, the lagging (there’s that word again) player would fall off and be placed back on the course closer to the rest of the pack, along with an accompanying time penalty.   

Edited by Starpaddler
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 5:48 AM, Intellivision Master said:

Only 3 months to go.

Did Tommy confirm the October launch is still on?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Starpaddler said:

For 1, I’d be surprised if they didn’t employ dynamic zoom to address a large part of this.  Guessing once thats been maxed, the lagging (there’s that word again) player would fall off and be placed back on the course closer to the rest of the pack, along with an accompanying time penalty.   

On AAA just a few minutes ago, Rab confirmed that's exactly how it works.
He said in multi-player, if a player crashes or falls behind, they are respawned on-screen, at random.
He suggested this can be hard to see, so perhaps an arrow indicating where, could be an enhancement.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Which Atari games are you thinking of?

Gravitar, Circus Atari, Jungle Hunt (may need Taito's sign-off), Aquaventure and Canyon Bomber were definitely my favorites. As many as they can get really, beyond the 12 already announced, but I'm particularly interested in games that used trackball or paddles re-imagined with the Amico controller.

• Like 2

Gravitar is a great game, they could just merge it under the Lunar Lander title.  They wouldn't need Atari's permission for Jungle Hunt.

• Like 3

The Amico Crayola event was an absolute huge success!!  Hundreds of people got the chance to play Amico and overwhelmingly loved it.  

Even people who went in skeptical or with no opinion walked away saying how much it exceeded their expectations, how great the controller felt, how much better the graphics and gameplay looked in person, how fun the games were and that families enjoyed it!  There are so many incredible videos and footage that will be coming out and I look forward to everyone checking them out and seeing the real reactions from real people (and not just Amico fans).

Here are a few Facebook posts of folks who played it as well... a few of which were skeptical going in.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/intellivisioninvasion/posts/4192056090847950/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/intellivisioninvasion/posts/4192361727484053

https://www.facebook.com/groups/intellivisioninvasion/posts/4191334717586754/

I can't wait for everyone to see the epic videos that our team and others will be putting together. 

Absolutely home run for Amico at Crayola!

Thank you to everyone who attended.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

It looks like Flying Tigers has 2 characters to play as.  I wonder if there are other pilots you can unlock in the game?

Yes.  There are going to be either 6 or 8 different characters you can pick at the beginning (which are already in there) and a few to unlock.

They all have different and unique secondary big bombs as well.

• Like 9

On 7/8/2021 at 8:57 PM, jbrodack said:

Tommy are you keeping the "delay" of the dice in Farkle despite the universal negative reaction to it and perception of the delay as being lag?  The delay seemed so long you could look around the room and then see the dice go on the screen.  I could understand not wanting it to be so quick that you barely move and the dice are on the screen but that amount of delay is nowhere near the reality of how dice travel.  

It has a negative reaction from folks who never played it... yet loved by people who have.  Big difference.

:)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

That was classic!! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’m happy about the success of the Crayola event but The only my thing on my mind Is the launch date. I’m really hoping that if there is a delay, it will be under my Christmas tree this year ! I would actually prefer a December launch because it would be an awesome family Christmas present and as good as I am at keeping presents hidden until Christmas , there is no way I would not open the Amico the day I get it ! 

• Like 4

On 7/10/2021 at 8:25 AM, ashtonm said:

I highly suggest Intellivision and fans of the Amico ignore all the negativety (and not participate in it) and just focus on the system and the game.  Honestly it doesn't look good for either side when things get negative.  However,  listen to constructive criticism and always strive to make things better. 

Yeah, i agree, we should just ignore anything and anyone that isn't positive. 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Swami said:

Yeah, i agree, we should just ignore anything and anyone that isn't positive. 😉

I see what you did there (and I did the same as you probably did).

The Facebook videos require joining the group, by the way. Let's see how long until some mod accepts me. 🙃

Edited by IntelliMission

14 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Best thing I have ever seen on this thread!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I know what game I won't be playing at launch: The Day One 40GB patch game!!!!!

I do expect to do a system update. And would not be surprised that games get a quick patch here and there.

My first pack in game: Skiing.

My first Physical game: Evel Knievel 

My first digital game downloaded... Don't know that yet.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

None of the positive Crayola Event coverage surprises me a bit. The Amico sells itself as soon as you play the games, they are just good & fun. However the system is EXACTLY what Tommy has been describing all along. That is, simple, fun pick up & play games where the challenge is either within the scope of an easy to describe game (not complicated rules or controls) or simply among the interaction with they various other players (something missing from many games today). Think NBA Jam instead of FIFA, very much the experience most of us had with early video games consoles & arcade cabinets.

I still see people online who just can't seem to wrap their heads around this concept, and relegate it to a Switch wannabe (just with worst specs) or think it is just a matter of time before they release a fight stick or XBox style controller for it. However when you see it played by the people who it will most appeal to (causal gaming adults & kids) they invariably have a blast with the system.

Intellivision Entertainment is a startup and as such is having (not really unexpected) challenges with production, funding, marketing & pricing (at $199, the Amico would fly off shelves I believe), however the problem isn't in not having a market/demographic for the machine. One thing you learn quickly as a parent with a house, kids, fence falling over & a million other worries & issues is that you usually don't have as much time for gaming, can't invest hundreds of hours into complex game experiences as much anymore & worry about what your children are exposed to in both content and screen alone time (especially when they are young). Turning questionable solo screen time into family friendly group play time is a powerful driver. The Amico strikes directly at this market and will be the first game system for a lot of these households. The whole retro head & causal gamer markets are just a nice bonus for them. If Intellivision Entertainment can overcome their startup limitations they will sell in the millions, and that would be just reaching a relatively small percentage of US & European families with kids 3 to 8 (much less retro/causal market sales).

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GrudgeQ said:

The Amico strikes directly at this market and will be the first game system for a lot of these households. The whole retro head & causal gamer markets are just a nice bonus for them. If Intellivision Entertainment can overcome their startup limitations they will sell in the millions, and that would be just reaching a relatively small percentage of US & European families with kids 3 to 8 (much less retro/causal market sales).

I still think their niche is the grandparent market. Its the niche that has 1) nostalgia for the intellivision as this is what we grandparents played back 40 years ago. 2) At 50 and 60 years old this demographic has the most disposable income  3) this product is simple pick up and play which is great for older people who may have liked games but hasnt kept on them throughout the years 4) grandparents are always looking for things they can do with the grandkids. 5) Grandparents like to spend money and spoil grandkids.   

I simply dont see young families doing any of these things. People with young kids in their 20 /30s have no idea what an intellivision is/was. Young families dont have disposable income. Im pretty sure Mom doesnt and isnt wanting to introduce video games to their young ones and get their kids "hooked" on video games, kids peers will do that soon enough. Plus lets be honest , at the current price points, Amico whether it likes it or not is competing with the switch, and with younger families, Switch is going to win due to many facts but mainly that it doubles as a mobile babysitter.

Grand parents are the demo that is perfect for this, its a totally open and underserved market demographic. We were the original video Game OGs, but the market totally seem to have forgotten this. When you have a good product you dont have to find the demographic, it finds you. IE just has to notice all the bald heads and grey hair, your demographic is staring you in the face.

Edited by bigdaddygamestudio
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GrudgeQ said:

None of the positive Crayola Event coverage surprises me a bit. The Amico sells itself as soon as you play the games, they are just good & fun. However the system is EXACTLY what Tommy has been describing all along. That is, simple, fun pick up & play games where the challenge is either within the scope of an easy to describe game (not complicated rules or controls) or simply among the interaction with they various other players (something missing from many games today). Think NBA Jam instead of FIFA, very much the experience most of us had with early video games consoles & arcade cabinets.

I still see people online who just can't seem to wrap their heads around this concept, and relegate it to a Switch wannabe (just with worst specs) or think it is just a matter of time before they release a fight stick or XBox style controller for it. However when you see it played by the people who it will most appeal to (causal gaming adults & kids) they invariably have a blast with the system.

Intellivision Entertainment is a startup and as such is having (not really unexpected) challenges with production, funding, marketing & pricing (at $199, the Amico would fly off shelves I believe), however the problem isn't in not having a market/demographic for the machine. One thing you learn quickly as a parent with a house, kids, fence falling over & a million other worries & issues is that you usually don't have as much time for gaming, can't invest hundreds of hours into complex game experiences as much anymore & worry about what your children are exposed to in both content and screen alone time (especially when they are young). Turning questionable solo screen time into family friendly group play time is a powerful driver. The Amico strikes directly at this market and will be the first game system for a lot of these households. The whole retro head & causal gamer markets are just a nice bonus for them. If Intellivision Entertainment can overcome their startup limitations they will sell in the millions, and that would be just reaching a relatively small percentage of US & European families with kids 3 to 8 (much less retro/causal market sales).

You've hit the nail on the head buddy.  I harken back to my days as a kid playing the original Intellivision and just being able to pick up a game and understand how to play in a few minutes.  I never became a hard-core gamer, and when I try to play some of the current games on Xbox (which I own for the kids) my head hurts.  Games are way too involved and complicated, i'm not one to invest an entire day to figuring out a game, I want something that is easy to pickup and play and that's what the Amico will offer. Even my wife, who never ever games at all will be able to play with me and the kids once we get our system.  Will be great for parties and casual gamers.  This is what most of the negative people are missing. (I say most because some of them are just true haters who are dumping on Intellivision Amico out of spite and anger or some vendetta against Tommy)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1