Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

18 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

The Amico Crayola event was an absolute huge success!!  Hundreds of people got the chance to play Amico and overwhelmingly loved it.  

Even people who went in skeptical or with no opinion walked away saying how much it exceeded their expectations, how great the controller felt, how much better the graphics and gameplay looked in person, how fun the games were and that families enjoyed it!  There are so many incredible videos and footage that will be coming out and I look forward to everyone checking them out and seeing the real reactions from real people (and not just Amico fans).

Here are a few Facebook posts of folks who played it as well... a few of which were skeptical going in.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/intellivisioninvasion/posts/4192056090847950/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/intellivisioninvasion/posts/4192361727484053

https://www.facebook.com/groups/intellivisioninvasion/posts/4191334717586754/

I can't wait for everyone to see the epic videos that our team and others will be putting together. 

Absolutely home run for Amico at Crayola!

Thank you to everyone who attended.

Congrats Tommy!  I had no doubt it would be a huge success once people got this thing in their hands.  Fun is fun.   You don't need the prettiest graphics of the fastest processor.  If a game is fun to play for all, it comes across as such.  

• Like 7

I’ve been reading comments from people on Facebook or videos saying only two or three games were shown at the Crayola event. I’m sure I saw at least four

1. Astrosmash 

2. Shark, Shark

3. Flying Tigers

4. Emoji Charades

5. Biplanes 

Then there was Biplanes either both that day or at the Friday pre-party. Can anyone confirm or is there a list I missed?

Then, Friday, there was Skiing, Evel Knievel, Finnigan Fox, Space Strikers, and probably Biplanes and I also heard about Dynablaster and Moon Patrol. Any others? EDIT: also Rigid Force Redux Enhanced

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zee said:

Congrats Tommy!  I had no doubt it would be a huge success once people got this thing in their hands.  Fun is fun.   You don't need the prettiest graphics of the fastest processor.  If a game is fun to play for all, it comes across as such.  

I agree and stay positive, even when others go negative.  If you do that, I think this thing will fly.  Don't let negative people change who you are.

• Like 6

On 7/7/2021 at 2:08 PM, Tommy Tallarico said:

It's on our list!!!

And Tampa Bay maybe? 

Please not orlando! They get too much cool crap and are snooty self entitled!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bigdaddygamestudio said:

I still think their niche is the grandparent market. Its the niche that has 1) nostalgia for the intellivision as this is what we grandparents played back 40 years ago. 2) At 50 and 60 years old this demographic has the most disposable income  3) this product is simple pick up and play which is great for older people who may have liked games but hasnt kept on them throughout the years 4) grandparents are always looking for things they can do with the grandkids. 5) Grandparents like to spend money and spoil grandkids.   

I simply dont see young families doing any of these things. People with young kids in their 20 /30s have no idea what an intellivision is/was. Young families dont have disposable income. Im pretty sure Mom doesnt and isnt wanting to introduce video games to their young ones and get their kids "hooked" on video games, kids peers will do that soon enough. Plus lets be honest , at the current price points, Amico whether it likes it or not is competing with the switch, and with younger families, Switch is going to win due to many facts but mainly that it doubles as a mobile babysitter.

Grand parents are the demo that is perfect for this, its a totally open and underserved market demographic. We were the original video Game OGs, but the market totally seem to have forgotten this. When you have a good product you dont have to find the demographic, it finds you. IE just has to notice all the bald heads and grey hair, your demographic is staring you in the face.

I completely agree with the grandparents angle. That's not to say young moms with kids won't see the value in this, but I know my parents would love Amico. It's funny because there are certain games that my parents will play with my daughter, and they just happen to also be on Amico (Farkle and Blank Space). Throw in some cornhole and you have something for everyone when the whole family gets together. 

Will my parents sit and play Astrosmash? Probably not. But I can see them playing Shark Shark or BurgerTime. And that's the whole point. Not every game is going to appeal to every player, but it's looking more and more like there is something for everyone. Throw in multi-player Solitaire and Minesweeper, and you've won over the 60+ crowd.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, bigdaddygamestudio said:

I still think their niche is the grandparent market. Its the niche that has 1) nostalgia for the intellivision as this is what we grandparents played back 40 years ago. 2) At 50 and 60 years old this demographic has the most disposable income  3) this product is simple pick up and play which is great for older people who may have liked games but hasnt kept on them throughout the years 4) grandparents are always looking for things they can do with the grandkids. 5) Grandparents like to spend money and spoil grandkids.   

I simply dont see young families doing any of these things. People with young kids in their 20 /30s have no idea what an intellivision is/was. Young families dont have disposable income. Im pretty sure Mom doesnt and isnt wanting to introduce video games to their young ones and get their kids "hooked" on video games, kids peers will do that soon enough. Plus lets be honest , at the current price points, Amico whether it likes it or not is competing with the switch, and with younger families, Switch is going to win due to many facts but mainly that it doubles as a mobile babysitter.

Grand parents are the demo that is perfect for this, its a totally open and underserved market demographic. We were the original video Game OGs, but the market totally seem to have forgotten this. When you have a good product you dont have to find the demographic, it finds you. IE just has to notice all the bald heads and grey hair, your demographic is staring you in the face.

I disagree, although I fit the 'old guy, retro gamer' demographic *now* I know what it is like to have kids, I wish I had the Amico alternative when my kids where younger, I am getting an Amico for a relative with young kids and will be getting an Amico for my grand kids. Sure no young parents know Intellivision, but they do know Facebook & Facebook ads, they do know Parents Magazine and/or Whats Up Moms YouTube channel - and that is where the Amico will be advertised. Parent don't *want* their kids to be 'hooked on games' so what is the perfect solution for their clamoring for games? Well how about you put an Amico in the living room so it can be monitored, it is designed for everyone to play together and even the parents can play with their kids (*gasp*) turning gaming time into family time.

It is better (and more cost effective if you have more than one kid) so it is the perfect system for people on a tight budget. Games are the cost of McDonalds drive through, not a steak dinner for two, one reason I don't feel bad about giving it to a relative without a lot of disposable income. Sorry but if my kids are on the younger side, they aren't getting a Switch - too expensive, too advanced, too much lone screen time, one kid only (which means I really got to buy two, or three or whatever). That is with me being game savvy enough to monitor their game purchases, which a lot of people aren't.

I think a lot of people are going to make the Amico choice for their first console. I wouldn't doubt a Switch then an XBox may come later for a lot of them too. The Amico will be their foundation of gaming & a good foundation of local coop & family friendly values it is.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Blarneo said:

And Tampa Bay maybe? 

Please not orlando! They get too much cool crap and are snooty self entitled!

Tampa has 2 Stanley Cups and 1 Lombardi over the last 10 months. How much further do your entitlements go? I guess maybe that winning mojo can rub off on Amico if it stops by. 

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, woobman said:

I know what game I won't be playing at launch: The Day One 40GB patch game!!!!!

I do expect to do a system update. And would not be surprised that games get a quick patch here and there.

My first pack in game: Skiing.

My first Physical game: Evel Knievel 

My first digital game downloaded... Don't know that yet.

Going from your comment, your first digital download game will be Evil Knievel since Amico has no physical games. You will be buying a digital game in a physical package.

7 hours ago, Zee said:

You've hit the nail on the head buddy.  I harken back to my days as a kid playing the original Intellivision and just being able to pick up a game and understand how to play in a few minutes.  I never became a hard-core gamer, and when I try to play some of the current games on Xbox (which I own for the kids) my head hurts.  Games are way too involved and complicated, i'm not one to invest an entire day to figuring out a game, I want something that is easy to pickup and play and that's what the Amico will offer. Even my wife, who never ever games at all will be able to play with me and the kids once we get our system.  Will be great for parties and casual gamers.  This is what most of the negative people are missing. (I say most because some of them are just true haters who are dumping on Intellivision Amico out of spite and anger or some vendetta against Tommy)

You have also hit the nail on the head. You describe my view on this perfectly. We are in the same boat.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GrudgeQ said:

I disagree, although I fit the 'old guy, retro gamer' demographic *now* I know what it is like to have kids, I wish I had the Amico alternative when my kids where younger, I am getting an Amico for a relative with young kids and will be getting an Amico for my grand kids

you disagree but your doing exactly what I predict will happen, grandparents with disposable income will buy this to spoil the kids in their lives.  I just think you go to the path of least resistance, the grandparent demo is wide open and perfect for this product.  Young parents demo however is FULL of obstacles and competition.

2 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

This is an amazing interview from a different perspective as this focus is on indie development definitely a fun unique watch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigdaddygamestudio said:

*edit*  I can't figure out how to delete this accidental quote on my phone

5 hours ago, GrudgeQ said:

I disagree, although I fit the 'old guy, retro gamer' demographic *now* I know what it is like to have kids, I wish I had the Amico alternative when my kids where younger, I am getting an Amico for a relative with young kids and will be getting an Amico for my grand kids. Sure no young parents know Intellivision, but they do know Facebook & Facebook ads, they do know Parents Magazine and/or Whats Up Moms YouTube channel - and that is where the Amico will be advertised. Parent don't *want* their kids to be 'hooked on games' so what is the perfect solution for their clamoring for games? Well how about you put an Amico in the living room so it can be monitored, it is designed for everyone to play together and even the parents can play with their kids (*gasp*) turning gaming time into family time.

It is better (and more cost effective if you have more than one kid) so it is the perfect system for people on a tight budget. Games are the cost of McDonalds drive through, not a steak dinner for two, one reason I don't feel bad about giving it to a relative without a lot of disposable income. Sorry but if my kids are on the younger side, they aren't getting a Switch - too expensive, too advanced, too much lone screen time, one kid only (which means I really got to buy two, or three or whatever). That is with me being game savvy enough to monitor their game purchases, which a lot of people aren't.

I think a lot of people are going to make the Amico choice for their first console. I wouldn't doubt a Switch then an XBox may come later for a lot of them too. The Amico will be their foundation of gaming & a good foundation of local coop & family friendly values it is.

I'm a young parent (34) and I'm buying it.  Most parents my age who I talk to are also interested in it, but not enough to pre-order.  I really think my demographic (millennial parents) will buy this once they see it in stores.  My co-workers will sometimes ask me about what to buy for their children who are too young for their Xbox.  The only thing stopping them from buying Amico is that it's not yet in stores.  They want to buy it in person because they want to see it and try it at a store kiosk before they buy it.

Edited by LinemanDoc
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, bigdaddygamestudio said:

I think there are a lot of people in their 50s who are not grandparents who will also buy this because they had an Atari, Intellivision, etc. I mean, if your 25 when you start to have kids, your kids may not have kids yet.

• Like 2

I have a question for Tommy. Is Cornhole completed ? Assuming it’s complete (which I assume it is since it’s a lack in game) or very close , why would you not have this at the Crayola event  ? 

Edited by Cranker

1 hour ago, Cranker said:

I have a question for Tommy. Is Cornhole completed ? Assuming it’s complete (which I assume it is since it’s a pack in game) or very close , why would you not have this at the Crayola event  ? 

18 hours ago, GrudgeQ said:

I still see people online who just can't seem to wrap their heads around this concept, and relegate it to a Switch wannabe (just with worst specs) or think it is just a matter of time before they release a fight stick or XBox style controller for it. However when you see it played by the people who it will most appeal to (causal gaming adults & kids) they invariably have a blast with the system.

Yes, and those are the people that when Minecraft or Roblox was first launched said ”no kids would ever want to play those crappy looking mobile games over Mario or Zelda” 😆

• Like 3

I also wish they would show more "special" games like Cornhole or Bomb Squad and less "normal" games like Finnigan Fox or Flying Tigers, but I also wanted to make a comparison with launch titles of famous consoles so we can understand that sometimes only 2/8 launch titles are interesting and good:

- Among the Playstation launch titles in the USA, there were games like Power Serve 3D Tennis, Kileak: The DNA Imperative, ESPN Extreme Games, Street Fighter: The Movie and Total Eclipse Turbo. This was worse in Japan, with basically Ridge Racer and 7 obscure games (including 2 mahjong ones and a strategy game about trains)

- Similarly (or even worse), the N64 American launch only included Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. Some months before, the Japanese only included those 2 games along with a third one: Saikyō Habu Shōgi, a shogi (the "Japanese chess") game.

- The PS2 had many more launch titles (28 instead of 8), but some of them were not exactly stellar: FantaVision, Wild Wild Racing,  Q-Ball: Billiards Master, Swing Away Golf, Summoner, Surfing H30...

Now that I think about it, the PS1 Japanese launch titles and both the American and Japanese N46 launch titles would have generated lots of backlash if the Internet had been common back in 1994/1996.

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 2

You forgot, one major PS1 launch title, I played that in London at the PS1 conference before the PS1 came out. 

Battle Arena Toshinden - Sony's answer to Virtua Fighter

latest?cb=20100312015758

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

You forgot, one major PS1 launch title, I played that in London at the PS1 conference before the PS1 came out. 

Battle Arena Toshinden - Sony's answer to Virtua Fighter

latest?cb=20100312015758

Takara's Wikipedia Page looks woefully inadequate. They made a ton of "unique" Japan/Asia only plug and play games with Xavix company SSD in the 2000's. Mostly 16-bit quality, but they must have sold well because there were at least a few dozen. Just one example.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Oldfool said:

Tampa has 2 Stanley Cups and 1 Lombardi over the last 10 months. How much further do your entitlements go? I guess maybe that winning mojo can rub off on Amico if it stops by. 

Hurricanes and Northern beachgoers not social distancing! We're victims!😭

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

- The PS2 had many more launch titles (28 instead of 8), but some of them were not exactly stellar: FantaVision, Wild Wild Racing,  Q-Ball: Billiards Master, Swing Away Golf, Summoner, Surfing H30...

I liked Swing Away Golf!  It's sitting at a 78 on Metacritic which is pretty good!  88 from Daily Radar, 87 from GameSpot.  Haha, the 0 from Games Radar is a bit harsh.

• Haha 1