Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

12 hours ago, LinemanDoc said:

I really think my demographic (millennial parents) will buy this once they see it in stores. 

huh? what millennials shop in stores any more? hell who shops in stores anymore. Brick and mortar is dying, retail is more and more online every single day.   Plus at $250 amico is hardly an impulse buy product. 

Edited by bigdaddygamestudio

16 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

This guy is exactly the reason why I don't do YouTube videos... great info, good video and probably a nice guy in person as well... but our crass, mafioso NY accent is just hard on the ears... LOL.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bigdaddygamestudio said:

huh? what millennials shop in stores any more? hell who shops in stores anymore. Brick and mortar is dying, retail is more and more online every single day.   Plus at $250 amico is hardly an impulse buy product. 

Although brick and mortar are fading, they are still well ahead. Amazon's revenue was $386 billion (pure e-tailer), while Walmart was $559 billion (mixed but mostly in store). Also millennials still like stores:

"Females makes that list first because the most notable trait among Target shoppers when compared to their counterparts is that Target draws women, particularly younger ones. While Walmart, Kohl's and Kmart all have a majority of female shoppers (>50 percent), Target's base shoppers are 60–63 percent female, on average.

Target shoppers are also a bit younger: 58–62 percent of Target's shoppers are between the age of 18 and 44, as opposed to Walmart, where that age demographic represents about 48 percent of shoppers; Kohl's, where younger consumers make up about 44 percent of the customer base; and Kmart, which only draws 34 percent of its shoppers from the millennials/young Generation Xers. Conversely, Target has the smallest proportion of consumers age 65 or older, as that only represents about 12 percent of its customer base. "

https://www.pymnts.com/news/retail/2016/average-target-shopper-customer-demographics/

I agree that the Amico at it's current pricing isn't an impulse buy, but it is *well* within the range of a Christmas gift, especially considering out of the box it can cover two people/kids so it can be roughly half of the retail price:

"According to a Retail Me Not survey from 2017, parents planned to spend an average of $330 for their children. A Gallup study from 2018 says American adults expected to pay about $885 on gifts last year"

https://www.pymnts.com/news/retail/2016/average-target-shopper-customer-demographics/

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Bonkey Kong said:

Going from your comment, your first digital download game will be Evil Knievel since Amico has no physical games. You will be buying a digital game in a physical package.

Are you the WakeUp Time user? It is *a* physical media, code on a physical medium, but not the kind one would normally associate with it, so I get you. I am guessing you are the Wakeup Time guy since you have two posts, both about the physical media terminology, which you were posting about a couple days ago. What happened to all your Classic Replay content?

6 minutes ago, Swami said:

Are you the WakeUp Time user? It is *a* physical media, code on a physical medium, but not the kind one would normally associate with it, so I get you. I am guessing you are the Wakeup Time guy since you have two posts, both about the physical media terminology, which you were posting about a couple days ago. What happened to all your Classic Replay content?

I agree that you will be getting a "code" which by definition means digital media.

29 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

I agree that you will be getting a "code" which by definition means digital media.

The term is probably confusing still.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bonkey Kong said:

Going from your comment, your first digital download game will be Evil Knievel since Amico has no physical games. You will be buying a digital game in a physical package.

Hi,

No disrespect, but I was just curious if you consider all of the PS, XBOX & Switch games that you buy "digital media"?

Almost every physical game I've purchased over the past 10 years has to connect to the internet to get updates.  I can't remember the last time I just put in a physical copy of a game on a modern system and just have it work immediately.  Especially if it's a game I purchase a year or so after it comes out.

By your definition of physical games, it seems that would only mean pre-internet carts & CD's/DVD's/Blu-Ray's correct?  Or basically... anything before the turn of the century.

Again, just curious as to how you would classify all of the modern physical games.

Thanks!

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Hi,

No disrespect, but I was just curious if you consider all of the PS, XBOX & Switch games that you buy "digital media"?

Almost every physical game I've purchased over the past 10 years has to connect to the internet to get updates.  I can't remember the last time I just put in a physical copy of a game on a modern system and just have it work immediately.  Especially if it's a game I purchase a year or so after it comes out.

By your definition of physical games, it seems that would only mean pre-internet carts & CD's/DVD's/Blu-Ray's correct?  Or basically... anything before the turn of the century.

Again, just curious as to how you would classify all of the modern physical games.

Thanks!

I would say that I hate having to do that, but I am old cringe I guess. LOL! I also realize Evercade went the with carts and had an SD card hack done a couple months after release. Evercade made it resistant with the next update (if you got it), but then the hacker worked around that - although you would have to spend another $50 for the updated SD card adapter, so hacking the Evercade could get a bit expensive.

44 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Hi,

Thanks!

I consider anything that requires internet to play out of the box a digital game so yes the big 3 do sell digital games in retail boxes.  Nothing wrong with that as long as it is clear to the consumer which it is not always that clear unfortunately.

>If a game is playable out of the box without internet connection then it is physical game. 

>If a game is completely playable out of the box, then has optional updates, patches, additional digital content etc, then the initial release is still a physical game.

>If a game can't be played right out of the box without a mandatory internet connection for any reason, then it is not a physical game.

Nothing wrong with digital games by the way.  There are going to be many people that will love your retail versions of your digital games for sure since I know there will be some cool collectible items included.  Heck, I might even buy a couple of them myself if I like what I see when you finally reveal them...but again... it if it requires internet to play out of the box, it is not a physical game.  Also, nothing wrong with being a digital only console since if I had to guess, there are probably way more digital sales of games these days than physical purchases.  Physical games/movies/music are rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

***If the game data was actually stored in the physical item in a less traditional way, like say a Nintendo E-reader which allowed you to swipe a cool trading card with the actual game data stored in the card itself and playable right out of the box, without internet, then we are still talking a physical game***   (Would be very cool indeed to see Amico do something like this even if it meant the physical releases costed $30 instead of $20 or a separate piece of hardware was needed for an additional cost)

Edited by Bonkey Kong
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Sounds awful!  If you happen to know anyone who works for Intellivision, you should reach out to them and help ensure that Amico owners don’t have to put up with that "connect to the internet just to play the game I bought" type of nonsense.  😉

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Sounds awful!  If you happen to know anyone who works for Intellivision, you should reach out to them and help ensure that Amico owners don’t have to put up with that "connect to the internet just to play the game I bought" type of nonsense.  😉

Its only to doenliad it.once its on your  console you dont have to connect to the internet. Unless you want to sell the physical media then you will prob have to unlink.it.online first. 

Edited by Nolagamer

15 minutes ago, Nolagamer said:

Its only to doenliad it.once its on your  console you dont have to connect to the internet. Unless you want to sell the physical media then you will prob have to unlink.it.online first. 

so you are saying you have to download the physical media?  sorry but that makes no sense to me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Hi,

Thanks!

I fully embrace digital media.  Having moved all around the world, lugging boxes of CDs, Books, games, etc . . . I'm well past that.  Gimme my Kindle, some fully stocked SD cards, and digital video games and I'm a happy camper.  I appreciate the lack of clutter in my life these days, haha :)  All my switch/PS4 titles are digital, and I am looking forward to Playdate's seasonal digital delivery system.  I agree with Tommy's take here.  One of the reasons I went full digital is because I ended up having to DL stuff anyways, so to me it didn't make sense to take up space and still be inconvenienced.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

I fully embrace digital media.  Having moved all around the world, lugging boxes of CDs, Books, games, etc . . . I'm well past that.  Gimme my Kindle, some fully stocked SD cards, and digital video games and I'm a happy camper.  I appreciate the lack of clutter in my life these days, haha :)  All my switch/PS4 titles are digital, and I am looking forward to Playdate's seasonal digital delivery system.  I agree with Tommy's take here.  One of the reasons I went full digital is because I ended up having to DL stuff anyways, so to me it didn't make sense to take up space and still be inconvenienced.  

This was not about whether digital media is better than physical media although I think the majority probably prefer digital these days.  

I know Tommy prefers old school physical games, he has a huge collection.  With all due respect, he knows what physical games are.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigdaddygamestudio said:

I buy almost everything online and I am under 40 so I would agree that there are other options besides brick and mortar but when I bought the Switch I had to drive around to find one (which was a huge pain in the ass) and we had to wait for Stadia because it sold out. I think it depends on the situation. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, PeterPepper said:

I buy almost everything online and I am under 40 so I would agree that there are other options besides brick and mortar but when I bought the Switch I had to drive around to find one (which was a huge pain in the ass) and we had to wait for Stadia because it sold out. I think it depends on the situation. 

I think it really depends on the person.  I buy most things online simply because retail stores don't stock them in store.  I am always frustrated and think "I wish I could just go to a store and have it today" or "I wish I could see it in real life before I ordered it."

The older half of millennials grew up without the internet.  When we finally got it, we did not use it for buying things.  We grew up as "Toys R Us kids."  Window shopping at toy stores and the mall were some of our ways of having fun after school or while running errands with Mom.  I did not come home and browse Amazon.com as a kid because it did not exist yet.

As a millennial, I still prefer to do my toy shopping (and games) in person at a store, but I also accept online shopping as a way of life.  Seeing an Amico in store would definitely trigger a millennial to go home, research it more online, and perhaps purchase it online too.  The purchase doesn't have to be in store because $250 is not an impulse buy.  But seeing it in the store triggers us to Google search it and maybe plan to buy it for Christmas or the next birthday in the family.

I wouldn't count us out of Amico's target audience.  Amico is a re-creation of our NES/SNES/Genesis childhood as much as it is a re-creation of an Intellivision childhood.  In store shopping is how we found out about and bought new video games in the 90's.  I never purchased a video game online until PS3.  I still walk through the video game section at Walmart everytime I visit, but am disappointed most of the time.  The $19.99 physical Amico games will be impulse buys for millennials.

• Like 6

For my perspective physical game is a game which code, assets, graphics, sounds, texts and so on are written on a physical support (cartridge, floppy disk, tape, CD-ROM, DVD. Blu Ray, RFID chip and so on) that allow the first transmission of the game (and/or his assets) to the console.

Modern time accustomed us to the patches and additional contents (DLC) downloaded from Internet related to the game that we first loaded/installed into the console from the physical media I mentioned above. So PS4, XBOX, Switch games on Blu Ray and cartridges are physical games.

Digital game is a game present only on Internet and to make his first load into the console I have to download it from the Internet using a digital code. It doesn't matter if the digital code is on a physical support, that game is still a digital game. 

A game that comes only in the form of digital code written on a physical support (even a sheet of paper is a physical support) is not a physical game but a game with a physical key code, just a little tiny difference from the "pure" digital codes you can buy on Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo stores.

Of course we can make beautiful packaging for this digital code (even written on an RFID chip or SD for example) but if it is the code only and not the whole game we can't name it physical game.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bonkey Kong said:

so you are saying you have to download the physical media?  sorry but that makes no sense to me

Majority.of video game physical media you have to download from ps4 on

The difference with amico id its apparently more of a collectible.  

Edited by Nolagamer

When people talk about the body Vs. the mind, they don't realize the mind is part of the body.

Same about the physical Vs. digital media: everything digital is also part of the physical world in the form of tiny magnetized sectors in a disk. Debate closed.