Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

7 minutes ago, JasperAK said:

Hey, do you all remember a few years back when Adobe accidentally made Pro 8 available for download because they were taking down their activation servers? Well I have a physical box, disk and legal key. But its useless to me now. Where do Amico games and physical products fit in? Do we need a third term to accurately describe these products?

Yeah.  That's what I keep saying.  They are a cool hybrid.  It's not just some download code.

We are currently referring to them as physical games (as opposed to physical media)... because people understand that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

kids these days always complaining  ;)   Well I say if they give Tommy to much grief he makes them patch or run the game the way we sometimes did back in the day.  This is from the magazine Compute... back when we worked to get our games and liked it.../old man rant off  ;)

BASIC-code.thumb.jpg.ab517ed6e57ea9a0b8ff31d7b28dbc85.jpg

Edited by bigdaddygamestudio
  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

40 minutes ago, bigdaddygamestudio said:

kids these days always complaining  ;)   Well I say if they give Tommy to much grief he makes them patch or run the game the way we sometimes did back in the day.  This is from the magazine Compute... back when we worked to get our games and liked it.../old man rant off  ;)

Would you consider that magazine to be a physical game release?  Or digital since we're viewing it online and it's not playable until we type in the code?  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

17 minutes ago, JasperAK said:

Hey, do you all remember a few years back when Adobe accidentally made Pro 8 available for download because they were taking down their activation servers? Well I have a physical box, disk and legal key. But its useless to me now. Where do Amico games and physical products fit in? Do we need a third term to accurately describe these products?

Keep in mind I'm all about physical media! I prefer it. But the way almost all consoles make you do things, I do not like. Owning a physical or digital  game in 2021 is not as cut and dry as it used to be:

If I have an xbox one that has never been updated or has been sitting on a shelf for 2 years, can I pop a copy of the latest Call of Duty without being connected to the internet? No. The disc checks the version of the OS/Firmware prior to anything booting/installing/updating. It will not play unless the OS or firmware are up to a minimum version.  If you don't update. You don't play. Making that game useless  unless you are connected.  Not most games. ANY new game goes through these checks.  And if you have not updated. They will not play.. Not all require the latest and greatest. But you need to be at least fairly recent to play anything new.

Straight from MS's help site:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-network/settings-updates/system-update-overview

Under Do I have to install the update?

No, but if you want to play or communicate on the Xbox network, you must have the latest console software. New games may also require the update before you can play them.

15 years from now (maybe even 5) when I have to replace my PS4 hard drive and try to play my Physical copy of Rush of blood, I doubt I will be able to. As I have to go through a setup process and the serves will probably offline.

Backward compatibility is hit and miss at best.  Didn't MS say that not to worry XB360 games will all be playable on XBONE? Then it became only certain games. Then they pretty much stopped because nobody cares.

How many games have we all purchased on our phones and they disappear? Remember Star Wars Trench Run?  Falcon Gunner? That fun Death Star Game.I cannot remember the title.

Conversely:

I can, without any modification, start my Dreamcast and play games that I purchased in 1999. Same with the GameCube. Almost any console prior. And a few after as well. Fairly straight forward. 15 years from now, if the electronics still hold out. I'll still be able to.

I'm fairly positive that I will still be able to do the same for the Amico. Maybe not in the traditional sense of Plug cart/disc in.  But will I be able to play my Amico and a physical copy Tempest 4050 by Llamasoft?. I can wish.. Can't I?!?!?!?  I believe so. If I recall correctly, @Tommy Tallarico has us covered on that front too. He has mentioned  many many pages back that we'll be able to play all of our games that we purchased EASILY. Even if the Intellivision servers shut down. How that is? I don't know. But I trust him enough to know that he has us covered. While maybe not the "traditional" physical media/game as some are describing. But if I can play it as easily as some of my older systems. I'm ok with that.  We just have to wait and see.

I think this is a good discussion to have. Even if we disagree. As long as we are all respectful and listen to each other. We're in this for the fun!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JasperAK said:

And that's physical media.  It shows that the concerns people have, have nothing to do with physical or digital distribution.  And those concerns can be addressed even if the games are distributed digitally.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, woobman said:

Keep in mind I'm all about physical media! I prefer it. But the way almost all consoles make you do things, I do not like. Owning a physical or digital  game in 2021 is not as cut and dry as it used to be:

Even if we disagree. As long as we are all respectful and listen to each other. We're in this for the fun!!

I think it's all semantics now as the definition of the phrase "physical games" has evolved over the years. Video games and "physical games" are really oxymorons as a video game by its very definition is not physical. It's digital. The difference that evolved was how that digital code was distributed over the years. 

Pre-internet, it was simple. You had a console. You had a form of media with the code on it. You put the media in the console and played the game.

Post-internet, you had digital distribution, piracy, and firmware updates. Digital distribution made it easy to get the game code. Piracy made it easy to play the games without having to pay. And firmware updates came to make the consoles better, but also to stop consoles from playing pirated games. It all comes together to blur the lines of what was once a simple concept.

A true physical game is a board game. Something you see before you. It's real. It's physical. 

An old physical video game was a cartridge that you plugged in to the console and played your game.

A current physical video game is a disc with code on it that you load on to the hard drive of the console and its only real advantage is that it doesn't require you to download gigabytes of data before being able to play. There are still patches, firmware updates, and online connections that need to be made in order for it to work properly.

Although it hasn't been explicitly stated, I believe what IE is doing is something different. You buy a physical thing. You tap it to your Amico, and it downloads the code to play the game. The physical thing will always exist and you'll always have it. The code, once downloaded is attached to that thing and you can save it, store it however you wish (I think). It's a hybrid of sorts. It's a mix of a physical thing connecting to your console and a download of digital code. I'm interested to see how it all plays out.

• Like 8

What if the Amico physical media connects to the internet (authentication servers, whatever..) and is unlocked to a specific Amico forever?

EDIT: I think I like vongruetz's idea better after further reflection.

Edited by JasperAK
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

at around 50:12  a classic, well-timed "wow... you suck!" reminiscent of the days we played arcade games back in the 80's and just relentlessly dogged on each other while you tried to beat each others high scores.

Looks like everyone had a good time and enjoyed the experience. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This is by an average(*) person, who's become a fan, and was at the Amico event.
This is a new vlog (but it's audio) and I like what the guy has to say - 22 minutes.
(* He explains he's not part of the Amico community, and doesn't do lots of videos.)

I personally like the down-to-earth kind of chat, with ordinary observations made.

Original deleted due to "too much information, too soon".

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bigdaddygamestudio said:

Balloon Crazy! I typed this in to my Atari 800XL and saved it to my 1010 tape drive bitd. Good times. What a shitty keyboard, tho.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

This is a fantastic video that I highly recommend folks watching.

Yet another unbiased person who played it with his kids and really enjoyed it.

Looking forward to thousands of these videos when we launch.

Kinda funny that it has a bunch of dislikes.  Just goes to show you that there is a certain crowd of folks out there who demand an unbiased opinion... but when they get one that doesn't match their own biased views (especially without ever playing it) they will dislike it.  They aren't looking or searching for the truth... they only want to be negative towards something they don't like or understand.

:D

• Like 14

Ah, type-ins... I had quite a few as a child both in written form and in 3'' disks. I never wrote one myself until I bought an Amstrad CPC back in 2013 and the disk drive stopped working. I wanted to play one of my games in the real machine after 20 years, so I decided to finally experience what it is to write a simple game (in my case the typical "bomber plane" game that passes over and over, lower each time, and must destroy the buildings before hitting them). Now THAT was a DIGITAL program. That one never existed outside that CPC's RAM.

As the "new wave" radio DJ in GTA: Vice City Stories put it:

New places with electronics. I was postulating on this song while loading a program I wrote on my Fruit LC Apple Cassette.

After 100 hours of programming, I have created a triangle that flies across the screen and turns into pixels like a hand-glider soul.

By the way, I recommend listening to the radio stations in all GTA games from the 90s, especially GTA2 and GTA: Liberty City Stories. They're really good and the fake DJs and commercials are absolutely hilarious.

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Kinda funny that it has a bunch of dislikes.  Just goes to show you that there is a certain crowd of folks out there who demand an unbiased opinion... but when they get one that doesn't match their own biased views (especially without ever playing it) they will dislike it.  They aren't looking or searching for the truth... they only want to be negative towards something they don't like or understand.

I wouldnt worry too much about dislikes. I've seen some excellent videos out there with top information and they still got dislikes.

Also, dislikes are positive traffic ... 😊

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

I agree. That was a great video... an unbiased, straight talk video of what the console is meant to do... entertain a large group of people, or just have some good old fun with freinds.   I like the video he showed with Shark! Shark! and the level transition to the next board.  Looks like there's a lot more to that game than we think we know.  Good!

That the kind of video I've been waiting for.  It boosted my already confident feeling that this is going to be a blast of a console to play.

Now... about that Bomb Squad demo I've been begging for... that's the one I'm dying to see people playing.  Oh yeah, and Safecracker?  What happened to that one?

Thanks for posting Tommy... any future dates set for any places in Long Island?  I think the Cradle of Aviation in Uniondale still hosts the traveling Video Game Museum (well, if it's still around).  That's a kick-ass venue if there ever was one... or even the American Airpower Museum in Farmingdale that actually has a P-40 Warhawk in service and flying.  How cool would that look showing off Flying Tigers... 

• Like 3

In case folks missed the live stream...

Incredible video from the Amico fans who gathered last Friday & Saturday to play Amico for the first time.

They talk about their hands on impressions of the controllers, the games, etc. 

Towards the end I went on to answer a few questions.

• Like 7

Wow, at around the 1:45 mark Tommy talks about the potential of word of mouth, it looks like GameStop and Walmart managers believe in the Amico as much as Tommy.

The Amico is simple, and sometimes simple things become huge hits. I never touched a Wii because I was not into wiggling those remotes, I was more of a hardcore gamer, etc., but it sold 100M units. Let's see how the Amico does, but a real possibility is the machine doing Dreamcast or Wii U numbers and becoming a huge success for Tommy, but a "failure" to Professional Video Game Historians®. All we need right now is that it finally comes out...

• Like 10

1 hour ago, IntelliMission said:

Wow, at around the 1:45 mark Tommy talks about the potential of word of mouth, it looks like GameStop and Walmart managers believe in the Amico as much as Tommy.

The Amico is simple, and sometimes simple things become huge hits. I never touched a Wii because I was not into wiggling those remotes, I was more of a hardcore gamer, etc., but it sold 100M units. Let's see how the Amico does, but a real possibility is the machine doing Dreamcast or Wii U numbers and becoming a huge success for Tommy, but a "failure" to Professional Video Game Historians®. All we need right now is that it finally comes out...

If Intellivision sells 1M units, it is a huge success!  That is what many critics don't understand.  They don't need to sell multi-millions of units to profit.  A fraction of Wii sales would be a win.

Edited by Stoke
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

This needs to be put in a gold frame. I think it's a sign of the times. Fake news, QAnon, conspiracy theories, denial of science. So sad to witness.

Actually, Tommy, I hope it's okay to ask a question not related to the Amico, but as head of IE, what assets does the company hold from the original Intellivision? Of course you have the ROM images of a number of Intellivision games and could release them with an emulator like with the Intellivision Rocks releases. But does the company have the original source code of any original Intellivision games? What about the Your Friend the EXEC produced by APh? Do you have the original versions of the box art, controller inlays or instruction manuals? Or does Mattel have all that material? Just curious. Thanks.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Bravo to DJC on his song, which I am sure will be a huge summer hit with fans.

I didn't realise that Intellivision was such a system for songs, but I just saw this!

• Like 4

To be fair I dislike Pat&Ians videos without ever watching them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5