Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

7 hours ago, RREDDWARFF said:

I agree, an apology isn't required, but it is highly recommended. To  potential buyers or those who already put a deposit on the console, it shows empathy. It also shows respect, which is important. Unfortunately people have lost sight of this in recent years. 

Intellivision is not alone, the chip shortage is real and others are coming forward and speaking about it as well.  Recently, New Wave Toys apologized and expressed their regrets for having to raise their prices on their upcoming Replicade arcade cabinets. Here's a link to an article I read earlier today. Sony apologized for their inability to make enough PS5 consoles to meet the demand.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/jim-ryan-feels-bad-sony-wont-be-able-meet-ps5-demand-for-some-time-yet/

I also took a screenshot of the section I'm referring to.

Intellivision is not an evil empire, and I am not trying to say they are. They're a family console so I think showing Intellivision is the Good Guys is really important. Especially with the hoards of podcast trolls following alongside them.

Screenshot_20210728-203850.jpg

I do agree with your point, and you're doing a good job of covering a large elephant in the room.  Sure there is some stress involved in making a pre-payment for something that's still out there and we're not 100% sure when it will be released.  But I look at it this way, I gave $100 to IE as a good faith investment.  I invested in the product, but due to all the crap that is swirling around the world right now, I don't need to put any more fuel on the fire.   It gets here when it gets here.  If it bothers me to a point I need my $100... I get a refund and walk away.  

Tommy has done probably the best job I have ever seen by a CEO to be a part of the personal interaction with the company and the people.  What drives him to do this, I don't know... I've never heard of this before.  This would be like Elon Musk coming to your house and having a BBQ with you talking about his Tesla line of cars.  

He has become the face of IE in a way that I don't think anyone expected.  So there is a trust that is built.  I feel my $100 for a Founder's Edition is well spent and just, especially when I see the CEO making such an effort to get into the crowd and push his product personally.  I doubt anyone would be that stupid or insane to put a reputation and a life's work on the line only to pull a scam.   If IE were 3 or 4 people operating out of a room in a rented storage warehouse, I would think that.  But I don't.

So yeah, we all get it... I think many of us feel the same, but have decided it's not worth pushing the issue.  Look at what this new Delta variant is doing... did anyone expect that?  Chip shortages?  Ships getting stuck sideways in the Suez Canal?  

I'm in it for the long-haul and along for the ride, otherwise I wouldn't have bought a ticket.

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RREDDWARFF said:

You're right, how do you answer an unknown? The ethical thing for Intellivision to do is answer the question of "when" by telling the consumer the facts while taking ownership of it this time. They're not ready, and many of us have a feeling they don't know when they will be, even if it's not their fault. They also need to take accountability this time, unlike last year's video telling us of the 1st delay, even if again it's not their fault and it is due to the chip shortage. It doesn't matter, they need to apologize, and it's okay to let people know they share in their frustration. It's important to, if there's going to be a delay, to not set a launch date until they can be certain they can make it happen. Again, it doesn't matter if they can't control the delay. It shows leadership and demonstrates accountability and trustworthiness. There are some people who think it could be they are dealing with more than a chip shortage and rightfully so. For example, if Cornhole, a pack in game, is not ready then Intellivision is not ready. 

For those who constantly stand by the, "Who cares, it comes out whenever it comes out," routine. Consumers, especially those who helped initially fund this project with pre-ordered deposits, merchandise purchases and whatever else, deserve better than that. Frankly, it's ridiculous reading some of the responses whenever someone posts their rightful concerns in here. These concerns are almost always followed up with or prefaced by, "You're just whining," or, "Complaining is not going to make it come out any faster." People have the right to question things that are not looking right to them, and from what I've read considering some of these concerns, they've been justified. The majority of the questions or doubts most recently have come from regular posters in here and they've been worded respectfully, but unfortunately, many of the responses from others have not. If anything, these people's typical go to replies have been belittling and stifling. "Thou shalt not question the great Amico." Seriously, wtf.

This is exactly the reason why I don't pre-order electronics.  That way, I don't really have a horse in the race.  I can still watch and cheer the Amico on, but in the end I don't have any money tied up in it.  When it does get released, I will most definitely be buying one.  I'm waiting anxiously and patiently if that's possible! 😁

• Like 5

13 hours ago, RREDDWARFF said:

Whether the ability to deliver consoles on time is their fault or not, they collected money from people through their website, GameStop and wherever else for a product that was originally promised in October of last year. It's not only good customer service, but it shows leadership, understanding, that you're still in control, and it builds confidence with your original backers that you're still going to deliver a product.

Correction, Intellivision did not collect money through GameStop or any other retailer as those items don't get paid for by the consumer until they ship.  The only way Intellivision collected any kind of money is the $100 deposit on their pre-sales through their website.

Back to our regular programming...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, atarifan88 said:

This is exactly the reason why I don't pre-order electronics.  That way, I don't really have a horse in the race.  I can still watch and cheer the Amico on, but in the end I don't have any money tied up in it.  When it does get released, I will most definitely be buying one.  I'm waiting anxiously and patiently if that's possible! 😁

But that wood finish... the gold trim... the vintage look... I HAD to have it... I HAD TO HAVE IT... lol!!

I agree.   I just liked the idea of being a "Founder" for something that looked like it was going to be really special.  Otherwise I probably would have done the same as you... but I'm ok with the investment. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

But that wood finish... the gold trim... the vintage look... I HAD to have it... I HAD TO HAVE IT... lol!!

I agree.   I just liked the idea of being a "Founder" for something that looked like it was going to be really special.  Otherwise I probably would have done the same as you... but I'm ok with the investment. 

I have respect for those who did pre-order, especially when it's a new product.  I'll be honest, when I first heard Tommy talk about Intellivision, it was on the Intellivisionaries podcast, well before the Amico was a thing.  My first impression is this guy is just like me.  He loves the Intellivision and has fond memories of playing it.  To hear he has taken on this product years later was like getting excited your favorite sports team got this all-star as a free agent and will be helping your team win a championship.  In this case Tommy is working to help those who are fans of the original Intellivision relive their childhood memories of playing the Intellivision on a modern console with their families.  That is a tall order and the reason I have nothing but respect for the guy!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mtamborra said:

Like I said. I been out of the loop for a while and hear there is now no release date

The release date is technically 10/10/2021 but with the world wide parts shortage people are wondering if it will be pushed to later or a soft launch. Progress on things like physical store products seems to be moving ahead so it certainly doesn't seem like that Intellivision is not looking towards retail in the reasonable future even if that is not 10/10.

• Like 6

Especially if you like to get a different perspective from another Intellivision team member or you just like software talk, John Alvarado's appearance on Amico After Dark was great. The panel & chat asked all sorts of great questions and we got insights on games like Cornhole & pool, and a bunch of other stuff.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, CurlyQ said:

intellivision-amico-tab-diet-cola.thumb.png.dce4f4a55d15315fa344088709c4832c.png

Another awesome edition CurlyQ.  I believe with all of the ones you created, if manufactured, would bring us up to the  number of limited XBOX360 Limited Editions.*

Now we need a Diet Coke, Moxie, Jolt! and BAWLS edition of the console!!!

* I did not googlebingaskjeevs to see who exactly had/has the most LE consoles or handhelds. So if there are more of another console/handheld.. Insert that name instead. :)

• Like 3

I think there is something more going on behind the scene with the Amico than a chip shortage. Explain to me how something such as the Nintendo Switch is readily available and easy to find?

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Q_BertZ said:

I think there is something more going on behind the scene with the Amico than a chip shortage. Explain to me how something such as the Nintendo Switch is readily available and easy to find?

Please give specifics on your allegations. Your provocative speculation seems to have no depth to me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Q_BertZ said:

Explain to me how something such as the Nintendo Switch is readily available and easy to find?

Yes, that is very easy, they are not made with the exact same parts, among other reasons, but now you have to explain why there is no toilet paper yet no shortage of paper 🤔

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, theswede said:

Yes, that is very easy, they are not made with the exact same parts, among other reasons, but now you have to explain why there is no toilet paper yet no shortage of paper 🤔

The Switch is made with better parts and the Amico is using a few generations back Android/Cell Phone parts. 

9 minutes ago, Q_BertZ said:

The Switch is made with better parts

Tell that to the joycons I have personally repaired. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Maybe compare the chip shortage to the lumber shortage. Its out there, but how much are you willing to pay for it?    But in both, there truly is scarcity of certain items during this plandemic. 

• Like 1

Just another sign of the times: the PlayDate is only managing to squeeze out 20,000 units this year (a proverbial drop in the manufacturing bucket), other pre-orders will ship in 2022 *sigh*.

image.thumb.png.efa049ebd3a416c17400ea15958bd0ad.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, GrudgeQ said:

Just another sign of the times: the PlayDate is only managing to squeeze out 20,000 units this year (a proverbial drop in the manufacturing bucket), other pre-orders will ship in 2022 *sigh*.

I was going to pre-order this but lost interest in the end. I’m sure won’t play it much if I get it . The screen is too tiny. It looks cool though !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Q_BertZ said:

The Switch is made with better parts and the Amico is using a few generations back Android/Cell Phone parts. 

55 minutes ago, Oldfool said:

Tell that to the joycons I have personally repaired. 

That’s why people are saying the only ones buying the OLED Switch are all the people whose Switches are starting to fall apart after 5 years. 

18 minutes ago, GrudgeQ said:

Any news on if the Analogue Pocket is still going to ship in October 2021. 

5 hours ago, GrudgeQ said:

Especially if you like to get a different perspective from another Intellivision team member or you just like software talk, John Alvarado's appearance on Amico After Dark was great. The panel & chat asked all sorts of great questions and we got insights on games like Cornhole & pool, and a bunch of other stuff.

Agreed!

Absolutely fantastic interview with John last night on Amico After Dark. A lot of great questions answered and a great live chat room.

If you didn't get a chance to catch it live.  I would highly recommend this one.

A lot of silly rumors and misinformation addressed as well.  :)

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Q_BertZ said:

I can give you $95 BILLION reasons.

:)

https://mddailyrecord.com/nintendo-net-worth-2021-2022-2023

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

There is something that bothers me. When the CFO Nick mentioned that there are maybe. 10-20 games entering the final stage of development . No games ready to go yet ? Not one ?  It seems like the missing parts are a secondary problem, the primary problem being the games are not ready yet. Why wait to delay it ? I might be completely off but it makes no sense to me . Something is not going well I am afraid. Im just concerned because I want my Amico so badly . Just ranting ! The truth is I know nothing about this process. Is just seems like this console is 6-12 months away from launch. 

Edited by Cranker

18 minutes ago, Cranker said:

There is something that bothers me. When the CFO Nick mentioned that there are maybe. 10-20 games entering the final stage of development . No games ready to go yet ? Not one ?  It seems like the missing parts are a secondary problem, the primary problem being the games are not ready yet. Why wait to delay it ? I might be completely off but it makes no sense to me . Something is not going well I am afraid . Just ranting ! 

We have 20+ games in the final stages of testing as both I mentioned and once again by John Alvarado during his interview last night.  Please go check it out, I think you'll find it very interesting.

Also make sure to watch some of the videos from the dozens of folks who played Amico for hours and hours over a 2 day period in PA a few weeks ago.  I brought 19 games with me and as many people mentioned... they all felt like they were completed for the most part and only needed some final testing.

Final stage of TESTING is where we're at.  Every game ever made goes through this.

There were a number of "creative" or "production" questions that John Alvarado was commenting on and giving more info about during Nick's live chat.  Nick mentioning he didn't think we had disc sensitivity on our mobile app was also corrected by John in the chat and was talked about during John's interview last night. I highly recommend checking it out and let me know if you have any further questions about it.

Folks would like to know as many things as possible and everyone on our team tries to give the answers to the best of their ability.  But at some point I hope people can understand that not every question can be answered by every person in the company... especially when they are in different departments.  There have been many times on this board where I have said "I'm not sure, not my area of expertise or division, let me ask our hardware folks", etc.  I thought John Alvarado also did a fantastic job at saying that as well last night for things he wasn't sure of.  Nick did the same thing.  10? teens?  That was his response to how many games are complete.  He also specifically mentioned that he sometimes only hears about design things from being in the office and seeing people working on things like Cornhole, etc.

My point being is that we've all been very polite in trying to answer as many questions as we possibly can and when we aren't sure about something we typically try to communicate it.  And sometimes (because we can't know everything about everything) we may get things not perfect.

If folks are interested in knowing how many games we are almost done with... ask the team designing, producing and technically directing them (or our QA department).

The answer is at least 20.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3