Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

23 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

We have 20+ games in the final stages of testing as both I mentioned and once again by John Alvarado during his interview last night.  Please go check it out, I think you'll find it very interesting.

Also make sure to watch some of the videos from the dozens of folks who played Amico for hours and hours over a 2 day period in PA a few weeks ago.  I brought 19 games with me and as many people mentioned... they all felt like they were completed for the most part and only needed some final testing.

Final stage of TESTING is where we're at.  Every game ever made goes through this.

There were a number of "creative" or "production" questions that John Alvarado was commenting on and giving more info about during Nick's live chat.  Nick mentioning he didn't think we had disc sensitivity on our mobile app was also corrected by John in the chat and was talked about during John's interview last night. I highly recommend checking it out and let me know if you have any further questions about it.

Folks would like to know as many things as possible and everyone on our team tries to give the answers to the best of their ability.  But at some point I hope people can understand that not every question can be answered by every person in the company... especially when they are in different departments.  There have been many times on this board where I have said "I'm not sure, not my area of expertise or division, let me ask our hardware folks", etc.  I thought John Alvarado also did a fantastic job at saying that as well last night for things he wasn't sure of.  Nick did the same thing.  10? teens?  That was his response to how many games are complete.  He also specifically mentioned that he sometimes only hears about design things from being in the office and seeing people working on things like Cornhole, etc.

My point being is that we've all been very polite in trying to answer as many questions as we possibly can and when we aren't sure about something we typically try to communicate it.  And sometimes (because we can't know everything about everything) we may get things not perfect.

If folks are interested in knowing how many games we are almost done with... ask the team designing, producing and technically directing them (or our QA department).

The answer is at least 20.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to

me. The truth is , I’m so looking forward to this console that I get concerned and disappointed with delays. It’s very personal and emotional to me. It’s my childhood memories brought back one more time. I know it won’t be the same but this is the closest  it will ever get ! Please get some units out before Christmas 🎄 

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Cranker said:

Thanks for taking the time to respond to

me. The truth is , I’m so looking forward to this console that I get concerned and disappointed with delays. It’s very personal and emotional to me. It’s my childhood memories brought back one more time. I know it won’t be the same but this is the closest  it will ever get ! Please get some units out before Christmas 🎄 

Yep!  I totally understand.

Please make sure to check out the John Alvarado interview from last night.  I think you'll really enjoy it.

Let me know your thoughts after you had a chance to see it.

Thanks!

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Yep!  I totally understand.

Please make sure to check out the John Alvarado interview from last night.  I think you'll really enjoy it.

Let me know your thoughts after you had a chance to see it.

Thanks!

Ok 👍 I watched bits and pieces last night but I’ll watch the whole thing tonight. In the meantime, I am waiting for my Atari pub pong table , just got my arcade one up Pac-Man cab and the Atari legacy cab on its way ! My daughter just moved out so time for a mini arcade ! No modding for me and I’m  tired of cabs with 5000 games etc …it’s just too much and overwhelming with more time spent looking through all the games than playing them . Just some simple fun cabs for me ! Focus on a few games at a time 😎

Edited by Cranker
  • Like 3

Off topic but does anyone have some experience with the AT Legends pinball unit ? It looks great to me since I like the older tables but I hear the UI and navigation of menus is poor. Plus the 1up tables are 849 vs 999 for the  legends in Canada And the AT looks way better . I wish they had the Bally tables but it still looks good . Anyone ? 

Edited by Cranker

2 minutes ago, martianman2012 said:

Hey guys where is this interview with John Alvarez?

Here ! Alvarez or Alvarado ?

Edited by Cranker
  • Like 3

Our first 50,000 run of physical products for our games has been completed, manufactured and shipped to our warehouse! Here is a first look at our packaging. Proudly created in the United States and manufactured across Europe. We'll be sharing a lot more details as to how our physical products work (and what surprises are inside!) closer to launch.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, martianman2012 said:

Gonna look nice on the shelf!

What’s inside the boxes ? Not just a code I hope !

• Like 4

Just now, Tommy Tallarico said:

Our first 50,000 run of physical products for our games has been completed, manufactured and shipped to our warehouse! Here is a first look at our packaging. Proudly created in the United States and manufactured across Europe. We'll be sharing a lot more details as to how our physical products work (and what surprises are inside!) closer to launch.

Then it must be releasing before Christmas 🎅 I hope !

• Like 4

STUFF IS HAPPENING!!!!!
  • Like 8

59 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Nice! Good job team!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

The box looks like a interesting design being rebated in on three sides like a hard cover book. 

Well, that's the way it looks to me on the video. How about a closer in picture please.

• Like 8

Well at least they are calling them "physical products" since they are now finally admitting these are not actual physical games.  Problem is that people will be buying these expecting a physical game and then will soon find out they need to download the game when they get home.  How many of these will be returned back to the store after people cluelessly find out that they just paid double for a downloaded game?

I would have expected an honest consumer warning easily noticed on the front of the box kindly informing consumers that they will need to download the game when they get home.  These boxes do not appear to have this on the front.  Maybe it is in the very small fine print on the back where nobody will notice it. 

Sure you may fool some collector fanboys that they need all of these "physical products" on their shelves but that does not help the soccer moms who will throw the box in the garbage after they download the game.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

35 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

Well at least they are calling them "physical products" since they are now finally admitting these are not actual physical games.  Problem is that people will be buying these expecting a physical game and then will soon find out they need to download the game when they get home.  How many of these will be returned back to the store after people cluelessly find out that they just paid double for a downloaded game?

I would have expected an honest consumer warning easily noticed on the front of the box kindly informing consumers that they will need to download the game when they get home.  These boxes do not appear to have this on the front.  Maybe it is in the very small fine print on the back where nobody will notice it. 

Sure you may fool some collector fanboys that they need all of these "physical products" on their shelves but that does not help the soccer moms who will throw the box in the garbage after they download the game.

Soccer moms can download the games from online since they are not likely to be nostalgic for carts or discs, anyway. They’re not brainless. In addition, it’s not just a box. It has memorabilia inside with the download device that remain even if the box is tossed. 

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Swami said:

Soccer moms can download the games from online since they are not likely to be nostalgic for carts or discs, anyway. They’re not brainless. In addition, it’s not just a box. It has memorabilia inside with the download device that remain even if the box is tossed. 

I don't know why they cant put the game data on the actual cart like the DS/3DS/Switch it's just a more expensive way of redeeming a code. So when they servers go offline you basically have a cute paper weight. No wonder they were able to pump out 50k of these things.

9 minutes ago, Q_BertZ said:

I don't know why they cant put the game data on the actual cart like the DS/3DS/Switch it's just a more expensive way of redeeming a code. So when they servers go offline you basically have a cute paper weight. No wonder they were able to pump out 50k of these things.

Flash memory has a lifetime of about twelve years, unless you buy bargain media like Nintendo may have done. Then those will all be paper weights, too. People are seeing bit rot in a lot of the Sega CDs from the late 90s. Discs dying after 20 years. Intellivision has said they'll have us covered if the severs go permanently down. It will probably be hackable like Atgames leaked for the Flashback 9 and X or they will have the unlocked collection on SD.

Edit: That basic caqrt design from the 80s was something of a miracle considering it being more primitive than later media.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cranker said:

Off topic but does anyone have some experience with the AT Legends pinball unit ? It looks great to me since I like the older tables but I hear the UI and navigation of menus is poor. Plus the 1up tables are 849 vs 999 for the  legends in Canada And the AT looks way better . I wish they had the Bally tables but it still looks good . Anyone ? 

Try asking here.

https://atariage.com/forums/forum/19-dedicated-systems/

11 minutes ago, Q_BertZ said:

The ideal solution would be to allow people to back-up the game to sd-card, i.e. make your own physical media.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 9:18 AM, Tommy Tallarico said:

Exactly.

I would kindly ask that folks judge the controls after they had a chance to play it. 

Folks may not remember that the first thing you do in Wii Bowling is position the player where you want to stand.

The controls for Cornhole were never "broken"... they just weren't in a place where we wanted them to be from a FUN factor.  I guess if you wanted to say they were broken from a fun standpoint... you could make that argument. 

At some point I think people need to realize that we are making the games as fun as possible and that we know what we're doing. 

There have been dozens of people who have played Amico and reported on how fun it was and how great the games were. 

Zero reason for us to want to sabotage a pack-in game.  

:)

I admit, I have not played the games.  You state "At some point I think people need to realize that we are making the games as fun as possible and that we know what we're doing". True, but that does not mean you are perfect or free from group think.  As an outsider looking in, Cornhole does not look fun or simple. This game should be a simulation of throwing a beanbag, not a three step process. My advice, find a way to make it work without turning it into golf game mechanics. I have stated my case, and am only trying to help. I admit that I could be wrong.  I ask you to consider the possibility that I am not.

4 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Ah, I really like the box design! As Utopia pointed out, this does appear to use a three-sided design, great for someone who struggles to open cardboard boxes without denting the flap...like me...

I wonder what kind of goodies you folks are gonna put in these, though. These boxes are skinnier than I was expecting, I got to admit!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, GrudgeQ said:

Just another sign of the times: the PlayDate is only managing to squeeze out 20,000 units this year (a proverbial drop in the manufacturing bucket), other pre-orders will ship in 2022 *sigh*.

image.thumb.png.efa049ebd3a416c17400ea15958bd0ad.png

Hey, at least they managed to get some out this year. That shows credibility. Good for them and those 20,000 who pre-ordered them.

• Like 2