Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

Or that the reason it’s being delayed so often is because the software is incomplete and the plan is to include the system with all of these games already on it and you use an RFID token to just unlock the game?

I don't think that's it cause they'll continue to release physical games in the future they can't all be already on the console. Also i don't think they'd change how they handle physical media in the future from the current implementation
  • Like 1

Why shouldn't a company be secretive before they announce their product.  They would like their reveal to have the best impact at the best time.

Intellivision said it requires internet to download the physical game? I missed that news.

1 hour ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Not trying to pick a fight, but would like to understand your explanation a little more (so please don't take my question the wrong way).

What if noone else was online playing any of those games at the time you logged on?  Does that automatically dismiss it from being a physical product?

So if a game needs an internet connection at all times... as long as it's a multiplayer game it's okay?  But if a game doesn't need a connection all the time it's not okay?  What if there is an online leaderboard for a game where score competitions are held against other players from around the world on a monthly basis?  Is that not considered a multiplayer game/challenge against someone else?

Again, I'm not trying to say folks are right or wrong.  I'm just giving examples and saying that physical products/games/media have changed a lot over the past 20 years.  What we are doing, hasn't been done before in the way we are doing it.  As I've mentioned, it's not a "code in a box" in the traditional sense.  Some may say that folks just calling it a "code in a box"... is being disingenuous (when they aren't even sure what it is and what it does yet).

When I think of all my old games I think of them and refer to them as "carts" or "cartridges".  Don't we all?  When I think of my Sega-CD collection I refer to them as CD's or CD-Roms.  Also important to note that there were no other options back then so although the carts were shaped differently, they were all still a cart.

But what if there was a BIG and important distinction and advantage between the games that you buy digitally and the same game when you buy it as a physical product?  And if that was the case, what wording or phrase would be used to distinguish between the two?  Calling our boxed versions "digital" wouldn't make sense.

I guess what I'm ultimately saying (and someone here explained it well before) is that over the past 20 years gaming hardware and technology has been changing so much and some would say mostly for the better (others would say for the worse).  Moving forward we will not refer to what we're doing as physical media or even physical games.  Physical product is the closest thing to what it is without causing controversy (or so we thought).  😀

I think when people start ordering, owning and collecting they"ll probably refer to them as the "physical version" of (say) Finnigan Fox.  

I would think that retro folks may have appreciated the fact that we took the extra time to make something physical (especially when you find out what's all inside and how it works).  I would have thought that retro folks would appreciate the fact that we DON'T charge the same price for digital as we do physical... unlike every other company.

But I feel the bottom line is this... As long as our target market and average person knows and understands what it is... then that's all that matters.  The fact that hardcore retro folks are talking about it and discussing it is totally fine and some of those folks may agree or disagree.  And that's okay too.

Thanks again for the discussion everyone. I have no issues with folks discussing it here.  I just think it's a bit unfair to judge us when it hasn't even been revealed yet and noone is aware how we will be marketing and advertising it.

🙂

I think that a question can be how each thinks of physical or digital media. I also played WOW and had that box, but I never thought to own a game. Also it had those monthly payments. Physical product? Yes. Physical game? No. Same thing for example with PS Store games. I paid for them but still think I just bought a permit or license to play. Thats how I also think about Amico games but it's ok to me. I bought FE and I'll buy games for it (digital). As a collector, I'm not going to buy any boxes with higher price IF there is no physical game inside. Hope this made any sense.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, duderino81 said:

It’s hard not to judge when a company launching a $250 product in 3 months has to be so darn secretive with what’s in the box of what they are selling.

No disrespect, but a question for you...

If you had the potential chance to reveal it to millions of people as an exclusive... would you take it?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, MinerWilly said:

I think that a question can be how each thinks of physical or digital media. I also played WOW and had that box, but I never thought to own a game. Also it had those monthly payments. Physical product? Yes. Physical game? No. Same thing for example with PS Store games. I paid for them but still think I just bought a permit or license to play. Thats how I also think about Amico games but it's ok to me. I bought FE and I'll buy games for it (digital). As a collector, I'm not going to buy any boxes with higher price IF there is no physical game inside. Hope this made any sense.

For sure!

Folks are going to feel differently about our physical products.  And that's totally fine.  Hopefully folks can appreciate and think it's kinda cool that there are multiple options (especially for collectors).

If people don't like or want the physical product then they can just get the digital version and save some money & shelf space.  

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, duderino81 said:

Or that the reason it’s being delayed so often is because the software is incomplete and the plan is to include the system with all of these games already on it and you use an RFID token to just unlock the game?

With all due respect and in the spirit of clarification and proper information... this statement is incorrect.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

For sure!

Folks are going to feel differently about our physical products.  And that's totally fine.  Hopefully folks can appreciate and think it's kinda cool that there are multiple options (especially for collectors).

If people don't like or want the physical product then they can just get the digital version and save some money & shelf space.  

I'm not a collector and I would mostly get the digital games to play but I would buy the physical media for some titles I'm particularly nostalgic about. Maybe if there was a physical cloudy mountain, microsurgeon or lock n' chase I might pick up those boxes
  • Like 5

People need to wait and see what is in the box.  If it is just a code written on a piece of paper, then yeah, that would suck.  I doubt that is it. At this point, it could be almost anything, so who knows!

I have a more serious question, is it true that the console is going to be limited to 4 controllers due to Bluetooth bandwidth? Is it true that the only way to get 8 players is to have 4 on controllers and 4 on phones?

• Like 3

I think at the end of the day for me, as long as the game is mine forever, that's all I care about. 

With other forms of streaming media, I tend to buy physical copies of something I really like because I know on streaming services it can just disappear one day. 

On Switch sometimes I buy the physical game, other times I buy it digitally. Some games are just not available in physical copy. I love Cozy Grove, initially I bought it digitally when it was on sale to see if I liked it. Some day I thought I would buy a physical copy of I liked it enough. However, the creators said the possibility of a physical game would be dependent on sales so who knows if there will ever be one available. I get it, there are a lot of costs associated with making a physical copy and it has to make sense for them. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Zee said:

Intellivision said it requires internet to download the physical game? I missed that news.

How else would you play the games that dont come preloaded on the system?   

The physical products games have now been manufactured, and its common knowledge that the games were still being fine tuned. 

Just now, Intellivision Master said:

Pin on CTL Youth Group

Hopefully not this….

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Zee said:

Maybe if there was a physical cloudy mountain, microsurgeon or lock n' chase I might pick up those boxes

Count on it!  😀

• Like 8

If you had the potential chance to reveal it to millions of people as an exclusive... would you take it?

Not on a console 3 months from launch and delayed a year from release already, no. You’re asking people to pre-order it without all the info. What is so ground breaking about it to keep it secret? Care to share another videogame console release that has used this “hype building” strategy?

It’s bizarre. 

Edited by Ex_Mosquito
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I'm looking forward to the possible goodies in the boxes - they look great by the way. I'm a collector of all things Intellivision and Atari. In regards to the exclusive, I believe Nick Richards may have disclosed this already with a simple description (in regards to the game portion of the package). The product contacts a RFID tag which would be associated with your account and console upon bringing it into contact with the RFID reader - which results in a download of the game. Basically a day-one patch kind of experience before first playing. This was already visually demonstrated in a PR video showing how gift cards work. Obviously there are some other trinkets in the box that are unknown and open to be an exclusive for unboxing influencers, etc. I think most people here though were just looking for a solid answer on how the game actually works. I think that's really clear and wouldn't be any kind of exclusive info.

Regarding the reveal to millions of people as an exclusive. Wouldn’t everyone have access to these physical products at launch coming up in a couple months? Since the launch will be a smaller deployment based on rolling inventory (as Nick Richards outlined), wouldn’t this fall into the discussion about holding real marketing back until you’re able to product the product at a large scale? The exclusive reveal to millions would be to millions of people unable to purchase the system until much later. This kind of exclusive reveal only works in scale when there is a product of scale available.

Regardless of all that. I just wanted to chime in with my thoughts because I thought that some of the responses to curious folks sounded a little abrasive. I’m late to the discussion and have not read the previous 1278 pages. Apologies if any of this was already mentioned. I’ll keep up going forward.

Now, back to the games! :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Quick intermission from the boxing match. 

Any updates on getting Disney to let you make Tron Deadly Discs?

Edited by Matt-H06
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, MinerWilly said:

Those are online multiplayer games that requires internet connection. Amico games are not.

Shall we say that physical product for Amico is a box containing a cd-key on a card and somekind of toy or overlay for controller. Close enough?

My money is on that you are missing some important aspects of what they have planned for their physical products.

I’d recommend waiting until they’ve revealed what and how they are doing things before anyone goes off and claims shady practices.  

Just my opinion, but it may save a few egg yolks on some folks faces. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Matt-H06 said:

Quick intermission from the boxing match. 

Any updates on getting Disney to let you make Tron Deadly Discs?

Good question!

Or any updates on the Founders shipping by October with that wood grain tease from the other day?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Rev said:

I have more than this two bit collector. 😱

He collects quarters too?

Man,C-mart will collect anything! 

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, MarioMan88 said:

Good question!

Or any updates on the Founders shipping by October with that wood grain tease from the other day?

The answer is yes, the wood grain is available on 10/10/2021.   But you would have to of preordered.  If you didnt, you are SOL. 

Here is latest shipping date from the official website. 

A1911A01-96CA-4125-8A7F-6431340D90D9.thumb.jpeg.ac6a556b1389424b8eb225de5d381a59.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

He collects quarters too?

Man,C-mart will collect anything! 

Dont go there….

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Rev said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68The answer is yes, the wood grain is available on 10/10/2021.   But you would have to of preordered.  If you didnt, you are SOL. 

Here is latest shipping date from the official website. 

A1911A01-96CA-4125-8A7F-6431340D90D9.thumb.jpeg.ac6a556b1389424b8eb225de5d381a59.jpeg

I’m down for 2…let’s hope they ship!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PeterPepper said:

Piggybacking on the Disney question....when will there be an update on Burger Time? Asking for a friend.....😁

Piggybacking off the Piggybacking and in an effort to shift to more positive conversation...Tommy early on in this thread you hinted at discussions with Coleco (they approached you you said but that Intv may not end up licensing their stuff for Amico), Sony (specifically they approached you about Qbert for Amico I believe?), and Konami (for Frogger), is there anything you can say further about these talks? Are these companies awaiting Amico to release/seeing sales numbers before committing I'm guessing?

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Pac in Blac said:

Tommy early on in this thread you hinted at discussions with Coleco (they approached you you said but that Intv may not end up licensing their stuff for Amico)

I hope he can get some Coleco games on Amico.  I know he mentioned bringing Gateway to Apshai to the Amico.

• Like 4