Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

12 minutes ago, Pac in Blac said:

Piggybacking off the Piggybacking and in an effort to shift to more positive conversation...Tommy early on in this thread you hinted at discussions with Coleco (they approached you you said but that Intv may not end up licensing their stuff for Amico), Sony (specifically they approached you about Qbert for Amico I believe?), and Konami (for Frogger), is there anything you can say further about these talks? Are these companies awaiting Amico to release/seeing sales numbers before committing I'm guessing?

5 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I hope he can get some Coleco games on Amico.  I know he mentioned bringing Gateway to Apshai to the Amico.

I remember Tommy said they looked at Cardillo's *supposed* licenses and said they didn't find anything, but were open to something they missed that was popular. Most of the ColecoVision games, of course, are arcade games, so Intellivision would have to get the arcade license instead.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, IntelliMission said:

I really want to participate in the physical media debate, but I don't know what to say, so here's a song:

I like these Neil Yong lyrics:

The lasers are in the lab.

The old man is dressed in white clothes.

Everybody says he's mad.

No one knows the things that he knows.

No one knows.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1stplayertokens said:

my thoughts on "physical media" if you can buy it in a store and it's a physical object, congrats, you bought psychical media. is an amibo physical media?

Everything any other company does is fine but if Intellivision does it then it doesn't count. So no if Nintendo does it then it is Physical media...if Tommy does it then it is not...so guess it depends what company does what to determine that is what by the public...

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, duderino81 said:

It’s hard not to judge when a company launching a $250 product in 3 months has to be so darn secretive with what’s in the box of what they are selling.

Maybe there’s something there worth protecting until closer to release, but in any case I don’t recall any company that has been so forthcoming and approachable as IE or it’s CEO on a product (and system) like this before. As special as I think Amico is, it’s made even more special by all the info that’s been released or teased over the last 3 years and the community involvement by Tommy and others within IE. I think it’s good to keep some things under wraps so that there will still be some surprises when I get the chance to open it up for myself. 

• Like 12

52 minutes ago, Swami said:

I remember Tommy said they looked at Cardillo's *supposed* licenses and said they didn't find anything, but were open to something they missed that was popular. Most of the ColecoVision games, of course, are arcade games, so Intellivision would have to get the arcade license instead.

Very true. Selfishly, I really would love some retro reimagined Antarctic Adventure, Choplifter, and Montezuma's Revenge, but I figure their focus right now is (and should be) largely on the Intellivision back catalog, but for the future perhaps!

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Pac in Blac said:

Very true. Selfishly, I really would love some retro reimagined Antarctic Adventure, Choplifter, and Montezuma's Revenge, but I figure their focus right now is (and should be) largely on the Intellivision back catalog, but for the future perhaps!

Those were all initially released on computer platforms (Apple ][, MSX or Atari 8-bit), so the may fall into the same category as Arcade games, like Konami for Antarctic Adventure and Parker Bros. for Montezuma's Revenge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

I hope he can get some Coleco games on Amico.  I know he mentioned bringing Gateway to Apshai to the Amico.

1 hour ago, Swami said:

1 hour ago, Pac in Blac said:

...Tommy early on in this thread you hinted at discussions with Coleco (they approached you you said but that Intv may not end up licensing their stuff for Amico), ....

I don't think Coleco Holdings owns any Colecovision games, only some trademarks.  Gateway to Apshai was an Epyx game and those assets have been sold off at least once.  It's also an action-adventure dungeon game, which they already have on Amico.

1 hour ago, 1stplayertokens said:

my thoughts on "physical media" if you can buy it in a store and it's a physical object, congrats, you bought psychical media. is an amibo physical media?

Physical media is well defined, it's media that stores the software, e.g. optical media, flash memory storage, or other rom storage.  Internet or activation requirements has nothing to do with it.  You can presume physical game is short for physical game media but it could mean other things.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Swami said:

Those were all initially released on computer platforms (Apple ][, MSX or Atari 8-bit), so the may fall into the same category as Arcade games, like Konami for Antarctic Adventure and Parker Bros. for Montezuma's Revenge.

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

I don't think Coleco Holdings owns any Colecovision games, only some trademarks.  Gateway to Apshai was an Epyx game and those assets have been sold off at least once.  It's also an action-adventure dungeon game, which they already have on Amico.

Fair on both points, so it makes sense then if intv aren't licensing anything directly from Coleco, but rather today's rights holders of the individual games. Thanks both of you for the info!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Physical media is well defined, it's media that stores the software, e.g. optical media, flash memory storage, or other rom storage.  Internet or activation requirements has nothing to do with it.  You can presume physical game is short for physical game media but it could mean other things.

Nostalgia and the feel of engaging a game cart to a system aside, I’d argue that physical (gaming) media is a game you can play and own outright (easily transfer to a new console or sell to a new owner) regardless of the developers server status; unlike digital media, for which you are only purchasing a non-transferable (and revocable) license.

For my purposes, I’ll have to wait to see what IE’s media is about and what designation (for me) it falls under, and what the value proposition is for me specifically; pretty much just like everyone else will be doing. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, duderino81 said:

Was my first post supposed to be praising the decisions to be a secretive as you can be 3 months before launch?

Im a potential buyer of this system, this is the most active forum on it for any type of news. Am I not allowed to be respectfully critical?

What's so secretive.  Tommy and the IE shop have been posting videos, pictures, interviews, updates, etc...for months in regards to the status and what the console is all about.  You just sign on and you're in the middle of a pre-launch lul that maybe it's game-time at IE and everyone is ass and elbow to get it done...and you claim they're being secretive. 

I don't get it.  Maybe stick around for a few weeks and see before assuming something like that.  Tommy is readily accessible here and lately maybe less, but still.posts updates and hints.  

Personally I'm of the thought they they're going to make the release date and thier just focused in on it.  After a successful venture at the Crayola Factory, it looks like it's done.

I expect a ramp-up of merch and hype in the next few weeks right before the release...and I'm damn well looking forward to it.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pac in Blac said:

I'm going to guess that once the Amico is out there and the dust settles, you may see these titles pop-up either from IE or other Independent developers.  If the games can be coded easy like the C64 and other retro/emulator platforms, it will open all those flood doors.

We just have to wait and see 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

No disrespect, but a question for you...

If you had the potential chance to reveal it to millions of people as an exclusive... would you take it?

What are you skirting around the question Tommy?

Informing thousands of patrons what’s inside the box of games you wish to sell to them in 3 months is something anyone should be doing in good faith.

There is nothing you can put in that box that will break the internet once revealed….just be up front with your patrons.

Edited by duderino81
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

What's wrong with telling people one month before they're sold.  They think it benefits them to wait and they are within their rights to do it their way.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Melonz said:

Everything any other company does is fine but if Intellivision does it then it doesn't count. So no if Nintendo does it then it is Physical media...if Tommy does it then it is not...so guess it depends what company does what to determine that is what by the public...

I never thought that the other companies that release codes in a box was fine.    Never thought nintendo was physical media of it had a code in a box, i classified it as a code in a box, not physical media. 

Edited by Rev
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rev said:

I never thought that the other companies that release codes in a box was fine.    Never thought nintendo was physical media of it had a code in a box, i classified it as a code in a box, not physical media. 

True, but even then, I think people are taking this "Code in a Box" category too literally, as it could be a placeholder for however the "physical" media works. I did see that all eight products were listed under "Accessories" instead of "Games", but I don't think anyone would classify them as the former instead of the latter.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 1stplayertokens said:

So you walk in store and buy these physical items, you feel that you've bought a physical copy of the game?

GiftCards.jpg.1b1f3f3052f67c2af64655c1ae1b1024.jpg

6 hours ago, Melonz said:

Not true at all.   Just off the top of my head, Ducktales for PS3 released a "physical" version of the game, but all that was in the case was a download code and a collectible trinket of some sort.  People were upset.  Capcom later apologized and released a "proper" physical version, with the game included.  Cuphead's "physical copy" for XBox was a case and a code.  People were upset.

As for people being ok with Nintendo doing it, lately I've seen I've thousands of upset fans' commenting, and dozens of articles like this one --

https://www.thegamer.com/nintendo-switch-why-sell-a-physical-box-at-all-if-theres-no-game-card/

Hopefully, once it's revealed, Amico's "new thing" will be so amazing we'll all go "ahhh.... that is friggin' awesome!"  Personally, I'm excited to see what it is.  But no, it's not some double standard for many (most?) of us.  We view it as shit, regardless of which company is sitting on the toilet.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Battlefish said:

I think people are taking this "Code in a Box" category too literally, as it could be a placeholder for however the "physical" media works.

Yeah, I could be mistaken, but I think that Tommy may have implied that same thing in one of these trads.

I wonder if the Chuck E. Cheese brand is on Intellivision's licensing radar? Not only could they demo Amico in certain CEC restaurants, but they could also use their characters in certain Amico titles.

From what I've heard, the CEC company is really trying to put more product out there, especially after leaving bankruptcy, so they might be interested.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/chuck-e-cheese-is-plotting-an-animated-tv-show-and-a-live-action-movie-starring-its-mouse-mascot/ar-BB19onzZ

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/chuck-e-cheese-frozen-pizza-stores

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Battlefish said:

I wonder if the Chuck E. Cheese brand is on Intellivision's licensing radar? Not only could they demo Amico in certain CEC restaurants, but they could also use their characters in certain Amico titles.

From what I've heard, the CEC company is really trying to put more product out there, especially after leaving bankruptcy, so they might be interested.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/chuck-e-cheese-is-plotting-an-animated-tv-show-and-a-live-action-movie-starring-its-mouse-mascot/ar-BB19onzZ

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/chuck-e-cheese-frozen-pizza-stores

Great!  And it will be easy to port right on over from the wii!   

BC6BD77A-55B4-4003-8CBC-B6ADEB19ABB7.jpeg

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, atm94404 said:

You are wrong.  Game discs on Xbox and Playstation consoles can play without the internet.  The most recent consoles (ps5, xbox series x) can still play without ever accessing the internet but require installation on the hard drive for performance (so Spiderman can zip through New York without ever having load screens).  The game plays off the hd, but the disc is used as the key to prove ownership.   No reason to address the rest of your post since it's based on a faulty premise.

I know you were responding to the comment about the modern consoles, but I would like point out that from what information we have been given about Amico is it will operate exactly the same way.  Digital or physical products will be downloaded to the internal storage and played from there.  No internet required to play after that.  There will be no online multiplayer so the only other requirement for an internet connection would leaderboards.  I would think if you didn’t care about that then you could still play without a connection.

Edited by Saldo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Battlefish said:

True, but even then, I think people are taking this "Code in a Box" category too literally, as it could be a placeholder for however the "physical" media works. I did see that all eight products were listed under "Accessories" instead of "Games", but I don't think anyone would classify them as the former instead of the latter.

I don't know how this "physical media stuff" is gonna work. Is supposed to work. But..

[-] CROSSPOST [-]

They can and will take the game away at some point. Look at how many online stores have gone away. Compare that against the original VCS cartridges. They're still quite viable & available. Compare that against PC games purchased on floppies, they're still viable too. And if those PC disks are bad? Well, not to worry.. The data can be (or has been) migrated to more modern media like USB HDD or equivalent.

The games I purchased in the 1990's, still have them. The shit I got in the 1980's still have what I choose to have.

And the purchase experience was different back in the day. More drawn-out into an event. It was great going to McDonald's, fattening my ass up, and then getting new game cartridges to play in the evening.

And there was a tiny level of predictable excitement too. Predictable because I sort of knew what to expect at the store. I'd read EGM or some other then contemporary pulp publication to get an inkling of what to expect. We'd read about, say, maybe 10 new games or so. And go to the store (after the fattening session at McD's) and see maybe 4 or 5 of them. And we could only pick maybe 3. That almost assuredly left something for the next outing in case nothing new was available.

The Adventure. The Anticipation. The Acquisition. The Availability. The Awesomeness. Indeed.. Everything we bought home was a AAAAA title.

• Like 2

Le'Rant continued..

I don't know why all these newfangled RFID and NFC and codes-in-boxes are needed for a console to become successful. I'm sure there are reasons. But they're likely above and beyond my comprehension.

Do any of them benefit the consumer more than the traditional cartridge containing a rom? Are any of the technologies compelling enough that a plain low-end consumer like myself will want to spend $100 - $200 to experience them? I'm not sure.

I don't think I'm ready to move up from the traditional ways of purchasing and collecting games. That means ROM in a cartridge. Or even a CD if I'm feeling really edgy. It's not that ROM in a cart is expensive anymore. Serial ROMS sell for pennies. And they hold all the 'Megs a game could ever need. Not enough space? The tech in microSD bumps it to gigs. And CD starts off with a solid 650MB. More for special formats.

Back in the day, the home console bought us a new artform. And new technology to enable that art. And playing those games thoroughly immersed us in the space age. Microchips in the living room! Fantastic! Today's consoles, theoretical or real, seem to rehash yesteryear's material in a more restrictive manner while using new tech for new tech's sake. Not for any tangible benefit. All the while being completely oblivious to the wow factor that actually sells consoles.