Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

Im skipping all modern consoles (Xbox and playstation) for one reason, they are glorified download codes and require internet to play etc etc.  Happy the Switch has game cartridges.    

Only was making an exception for the Amico because it has the Intellivision name attached. 

• Like 3

On 4/21/2021 at 6:14 PM, IMBerzerk said:

I agree... I'm not interested in that either... but I'm certainly wanting to know what it does... and for the love of God.. not yet another forum I have to join... please no...

What does a hybrid PC/console do?  What does that mean "open doors to new experiences"? 

BTW.. I'm not a hater of the VCS... as I'm entering the later stage of human life... I'm finding there is just a lot of stuff out there that give the 5 min euphoric novelty feeling... then gets shelved.  I just don't want that.

The PC gaming experience is vast and wide and appeals to an incredibly huge audience. It doesn't need to be part of a hybrid thing. Or BE a hybrid thing. And that's something I hope Amico doesn't become. Some weak-ass PC hybrid.

My eye is still watching Amico over the VCS. Because the VCS doesn't look like it's getting much support and is in name only, because "atari".

But the issue with Amico is there is so much talk and nothing's shown up in the stores yet. Soon I'll stop paying attention and the console will have to sell itself on the store shelf.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

When I think of all my old games I think of them and refer to them as "carts" or "cartridges".  Don't we all?  When I think of my Sega-CD collection I refer to them as CD's or CD-Roms.  Also important to note that there were no other options back then so although the carts were shaped differently, they were all still a cart.

But what if there was a BIG and important distinction and advantage between the games that you buy digitally and the same game when you buy it as a physical product?  And if that was the case, what wording or phrase would be used to distinguish between the two?  Calling our boxed versions "digital" wouldn't make sense.

I guess what I'm ultimately saying (and someone here explained it well before) is that over the past 20 years gaming hardware and technology has been changing so much and some would say mostly for the better (others would say for the worse).  Moving forward we will not refer to what we're doing as physical media or even physical games.  Physical product is the closest thing to what it is without causing controversy (or so we thought).  😀

You printed 50k physical things and you're asking questions now? 😂

Well, have you even looked at the common meaning of "Product"? First 3 results:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/product

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/product

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/product

Noticed NONE suggest anything remotely to 'digital' product?

I know the industry calls everything 'product', traditionally anyway... obviously they are not your focus demographic.

Digital items, tend to be called something specific to the media it's distributed on, ie: download music, streamed movie, DLC down Loadable Content  etc..

TMK, your content is not distributed 'physically', but you're hanging on to 'physical' like it's your biggest marketing strategy??

To give you a clear analogy about your word play, using printed manuals.

'physical paper' on a USB (the physical media is the USB - it's not paper)

'physical manual' on a USB (the manual is the content - not the physical USB)

The USB in a box is a 'physical product', but your content isn't there, TMK it's DLC, so it's a 'physical key' to DLC.

Also, anything that's in a box is physical, or else the box is empty... so what's the sense in mentioning it?

Comparing real physical media to your (alleged) DLC 'physical products', is a real disappointment TBH.

As CEO you had the opportunity to make something new and also (and more importantly) call it something new... like Nintendo with Amiibo's.... AmiKii's, AmiCarts, IntelliCarts, IntelliKii's, TallaCarts TommyKeys, etc etc etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, gwald said:

Also, anything that's in a box is physical, or else the box is empty... so what's the sense in mentioning it?

Because, if they just called it "the product", then you'd get the druggies confused. Believe me, you don't want that. Oh, no. Way worse.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Ex_Mosquito said:

Care to share another videogame console release that has used this “hype building” strategy?

It’s bizarre. 

I agree, how dare they hype their product like this when a random guy on internet wants to know..😆

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Rev said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68The answer is yes, the wood grain is available on 10/10/2021.   But you would have to of preordered.  If you didnt, you are SOL. 

Here is latest shipping date from the official website. 

A1911A01-96CA-4125-8A7F-6431340D90D9.thumb.jpeg.ac6a556b1389424b8eb225de5d381a59.jpeg

Actually you can still pre-order from Gamestop as their shipping date still says 10/10/2021, unless of course this was changed, but I haven't heard anything otherwise.  I realize he was asking for the woodgrain, but posted this anyways.

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/arcade/products/intellivision-amico-graphite-black/215798.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4JP3t6SS8gIVD52zCh3JDASLEAQYASABEgIinvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by atarifan88
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Stoke said:

People need to wait and see what is in the box.  If it is just a code written on a piece of paper, then yeah, that would suck.  I doubt that is it. At this point, it could be almost anything, so who knows!

I have a more serious question, is it true that the console is going to be limited to 4 controllers due to Bluetooth bandwidth? Is it true that the only way to get 8 players is to have 4 on controllers and 4 on phones?

Amico isn't limited to 4 controllers in you count mobile devices with the ability to be used as controllers.

I think you may be referring to the standard Amico controllers (as they are the only ones that use bluetooth).  Our Amico mobile controller app connects Wi-Fi.

What we found with our style of couch co-op action games is that once you get more than 4 players on screen... it may start to get confusing for some players.  Astrosmash is a perfect example of this.  Even 4 ships at once is pushing it for some folks.  Biplanes, Missile Command, Shark! Shark!, Dynablaster, Cloudy Mountain, Night Stalker, Nitro Derby, Skiing, Colossal Crash, Even Knievel versus mode, Bomb Squad, Space Strikers & Dolphin Quest are all action games that play great with 4 players... but as soon as you start adding more, it gets confusing on screen for some folks... especially ones who are in our target demographic.  We had games like Missile Command and Biplanes working fine with 6 and sometimes 8 players... but with that many people and colors and vehicles, etc... it got to be too much for most of our target audience.  Even hardcore gamers found it a little difficult to always be tracking where you are with others being on screen.  We could make EVERYTHING on screen a lot smaller to accommodate... but didn't really feel that is the right approach and it also didn't look, play or feel as good.  Just imagine Astrosmash with 8 players as opposed to 4.  It's too much for most folks and really doesn't help the gameplay.  We care about game design and playability first.  We put those above everything else.

As John Alvarado mentioned in his Amico After Dark Interview... bluetooth is capable of doing up to 6+ controllers/connections at a time.  But it could also introduce lag issues (which as we all know seems to be a hot topic among the ill-informed). 

As I've said from the beginning... the Amico controllers are definitely much preferred for action games.  The ability to add mobile phones as a controller is fantastic for party games, card, dice, puzzle, etc.  And it's those types of games that have 8+ player capabilities.  So everything works out fine.  It would make sense for the hardware to limit the Amico controller bluetooth connection to only 4 if we wouldn't have an action game situation where 5 or more Amico controllers are needed.  But playing all of the other stuff is perfectly fine.

Hope that helps to answer your question.  Please feel free to let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Thanks

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, Matt-H06 said:

Any updates on getting Disney to let you make Tron Deadly Discs?

Yes.  There are updates.

Nothing I'm able to talk about or discuss though.

Sorry.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, PeterPepper said:

Piggybacking on the Disney question....when will there be an update on Burger Time? Asking for a friend.....😁

I'm not exactly sure when we will be giving an update on Burgertime.  It isn't currently a part of our launch strategy and all of our game development focus is in finishing up all of our launch and launch window games.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Pac in Blac said:

Piggybacking off the Piggybacking and in an effort to shift to more positive conversation...Tommy early on in this thread you hinted at discussions with Coleco (they approached you you said but that Intv may not end up licensing their stuff for Amico), Sony (specifically they approached you about Qbert for Amico I believe?), and Konami (for Frogger), is there anything you can say further about these talks? Are these companies awaiting Amico to release/seeing sales numbers before committing I'm guessing?

There isn't really anything for us to license from Coleco.  They own trademarks of game names... but not the actual properties or game code/design, etc.

Have put Sony & Konami discussions on hold for now as we race towards the finish line for launch.  Being a smaller company, we need to spend 100% of our time focusing on that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

I hope he can get some Coleco games on Amico.  I know he mentioned bringing Gateway to Apshai to the Amico.

Coleco doesn't own any of the Epyx stuff... but we had a lot of discussions with the folks that do.

Would definitely like to reimagine some of their stuff!

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Amico isn't limited to 4 controllers in you count mobile devices with the ability to be used as controllers.

I think you may be referring to the standard Amico controllers (as they are the only ones that use bluetooth).  Our Amico mobile controller app connects Wi-Fi.

What we found with our style of couch co-op action games is that once you get more than 4 players on screen... it may start to get confusing for some players.  Astrosmash is a perfect example of this.  Even 4 ships at once is pushing it for some folks.  Biplanes, Missile Command, Shark! Shark!, Dynablaster, Cloudy Mountain, Night Stalker, Nitro Derby, Skiing, Colossal Crash, Even Knievel versus mode, Bomb Squad, Space Strikers & Dolphin Quest are all action games that play great with 4 players... but as soon as you start adding more, it gets confusing on screen for some folks... especially ones who are in our target demographic.  We had games like Missile Command and Biplanes working fine with 6 and sometimes 8 players... but with that many people and colors and vehicles, etc... it got to be too much for most of our target audience.  Even hardcore gamers found it a little difficult to always be tracking where you are with others being on screen.  We could make EVERYTHING on screen a lot smaller to accommodate... but didn't really feel that is the right approach and it also didn't look, play or feel as good.  Just imagine Astrosmash with 8 players as opposed to 4.  It's too much for most folks and really doesn't help the gameplay.  We care about game design and playability first.  We put those above everything else.

As John Alvarado mentioned in his Amico After Dark Interview... bluetooth is capable of doing up to 6+ controllers/connections at a time.  But it could also introduce lag issues (which as we all know seems to be a hot topic among the ill-informed). 

As I've said from the beginning... the Amico controllers are definitely much preferred for action games.  The ability to add mobile phones as a controller is fantastic for party games, card, dice, puzzle, etc.  And it's those types of games that have 8+ player capabilities.  So everything works out fine.  It would make sense for the hardware to limit the Amico controller bluetooth connection to only 4 if we wouldn't have an action game situation where 5 or more Amico controllers are needed.  But playing all of the other stuff is perfectly fine.

Hope that helps to answer your question.  Please feel free to let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Thanks

Thanks for the answer.  Yeah, that makes sense.  I guess you could always release standard Amico controllers that use the WiFi channel (or dual channel capability) if there was ever a need. I agree, 8 ships on a screen would be too much.

Edited by Stoke
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, Starpaddler said:

Maybe there’s something there worth protecting until closer to release, but in any case I don’t recall any company that has been so forthcoming and approachable as IE or it’s CEO on a product (and system) like this before. As special as I think Amico is, it’s made even more special by all the info that’s been released or teased over the last 3 years and the community involvement by Tommy and others within IE. I think it’s good to keep some things under wraps so that there will still be some surprises when I get the chance to open it up for myself. 

Thank you.

I appreciate that people still recognize that.

• Like 13

18 hours ago, Pac in Blac said:

Very true. Selfishly, I really would love some retro reimagined Antarctic Adventure, Choplifter, and Montezuma's Revenge, but I figure their focus right now is (and should be) largely on the Intellivision back catalog, but for the future perhaps!

Wouldn't That Be Something?

:)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, duderino81 said:

What are you skirting around the question Tommy?

Informing thousands of patrons what’s inside the box of games you wish to sell to them in 3 months is something anyone should be doing in good faith.

There is nothing you can put in that box that will break the internet once revealed….just be up front with your patrons.

I'm confused by your response?  Can you please elaborate.

With all due respect, I didn't "skirt" around anything.  I've mentioned many times why we are holding back certain bits of information.  Because we have exclusive stories/videos lined up with important people.  And we would prefer to have those kinds of things revealed when the rest of the world is watching... not just the hardcore retro crowd who are only a certain smaller percentage of our target audience.

I appreciate the excitement and curiosity that a lot of folks have right now.  But we need to reveal things at the time that is right for the company so Amico can benefit the most.  Which in the end benefits everyone who has the product and/or are interested in potentially getting one.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, mr_me said:

What's wrong with telling people one month before they're sold.  They think it benefits them to wait and they are within their rights to do it their way.

wonka6.gif.09bd38da13292e022b00c112129d528e.gif

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Rev said:

I never thought that the other companies that release codes in a box was fine.    Never thought nintendo was physical media of it had a code in a box, i classified it as a code in a box, not physical media. 

What we're doing can't really be classified as a "code in a box" either.  There are a few major distinctions between what we're doing and what other traditional "code in a box" games are doing.

It's probably then fair to say that if any folks out there are willing to split hairs as to the terminology over "physical products", then they should also split hairs over what a "code in a box" means and defines as well.

• Like 10

12 hours ago, Battlefish said:

True, but even then, I think people are taking this "Code in a Box" category too literally, as it could be a placeholder for however the "physical" media works. I did see that all eight products were listed under "Accessories" instead of "Games", but I don't think anyone would classify them as the former instead of the latter.

Good point.  Also... to add to it...

We're also classified as a "plug and play" unit as well in some places and ARCADE CABINET in others.

All because there isn't a separate category for Amico.  Typically drop down menus in the backend of retail software so they need to pick something.

The hope is that when Amico becomes huge... we will have our own category and definitions/terminology for what we really are and have to offer as products.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

So you walk in store and buy these physical items, you feel that you've bought a physical copy of the game?

GiftCards.jpg.1b1f3f3052f67c2af64655c1ae1b1024.jpg

I definitely wouldn't say those are physical copies of a game.  I would classify those as Download Cards.  They fall into more of the "gift card" category than anything else.

We have gift cards as well.  But they are very different from what our physical products for games are.  A lot of differentiating and important factors.

Looking forward to sharing more info with folks over the next few months.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Keatah said:

I don't know how this "physical media stuff" is gonna work. Is supposed to work. But..

[-] CROSSPOST [-]

They can and will take the game away at some point.

Not for Amico we won't.

:)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Thanks

42 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

34 minutes ago, Stoke said:

Thanks for the answer.  Yeah, that makes sense.  I guess you could always release standard Amico controllers that use the WiFi channel (or dual channel capability) if there was ever a need. I agree, 8 ships on a screen would be too much.

Something is going on with my phone . Sorry for the triple post ! So to be clear, we can Vonnegut 8 Amico controllers for party games or baseball etc ? Games meant for more than 4 players ?

Le'Rant continued..

I don't know why all these newfangled RFID and NFC and codes-in-boxes are needed for a console to become successful. I'm sure there are reasons. But they're likely above and beyond my comprehension.

One of the advantages of having physical products is the ability to sell something more than just a gift card at retail.  Same reason companies try to figure out as many accessories at retail as possible.

Do any of them benefit the consumer more than the traditional cartridge containing a rom? Are any of the technologies compelling enough that a plain low-end consumer like myself will want to spend $100 - $200 to experience them? I'm not sure.

I would say yes.  There are multiple benefits of having a digital/physical crossover.  As an example... instead of taking your entire physical game collection over a friends house... you only need to take your controller.

Lots of other advantages that I can't really go into right now... but they do exist. 

Our goal is to take the best of both worlds (digital and physical) and combine them into something really cool and unique that is consumer friendly.

I don't think I'm ready to move up from the traditional ways of purchasing and collecting games. That means ROM in a cartridge. Or even a CD if I'm feeling really edgy. It's not that ROM in a cart is expensive anymore. Serial ROMS sell for pennies. And they hold all the 'Megs a game could ever need. Not enough space? The tech in microSD bumps it to gigs. And CD starts off with a solid 650MB. More for special formats.

I agree with you.  When I think of "collecting" my mind goes straight to carts.  Probably because that is what I grew up on.  I don't really collect CD-ROM games as a collector.  But if there are people out there who grew up in the mid to late 90's... maybe that's what they hold dear as nostalgia.  For me... having an old school cartridge is pretty cool.  But I can understand why others may not feel the same.

Back in the day, the home console bought us a new artform. And new technology to enable that art. And playing those games thoroughly immersed us in the space age. Microchips in the living room! Fantastic! Today's consoles, theoretical or real, seem to rehash yesteryear's material in a more restrictive manner while using new tech for new tech's sake. Not for any tangible benefit. All the while being completely oblivious to the wow factor that actually sells consoles.

I totally 100% agree with this statement!  It is what drives a lot of the decisions we make at Intellivision.  Trying to bring back those "retro" sensibilities but using technology in a way that is simple and easy for consumers and that is consumer friendly from a price standpoint as well.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2