Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

7 minutes ago, Lusorius said:

Breakout has nice graphics too!

I love the look of Breakout. Anything that looks Tron-ish is a win for me. Also, how about some Tron remakes from the old Intellivision versions? :) (not sure how reasonable licensing is, but it would be rad if possible)

Edited by flynnz
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lusorius said:

And I said also that Cloudy Mountain looks interesting and that I would like to play it and later I added that I like its graphics. And to be more positive: Breakout has nice graphics too! Night stalker is not my cup of tea from gameplay perspective but it looks nice as well! Dynablaster is simply the game that I would probably enjoy the most and hence I mentioned also that I wish it had better graphics. That is all.

And to elaborate on that, I never played original Intellivision and hence I don't have much connection to some of the games. But I played Dynablaster and later more modern, yet  today quite old Atomic Bomberman. Maybe it is nostalgia but I remember its bright colors and various environments.

Hey Tommy (and anyone who can answer), do a video game MAIN designer (not a regular programmer) ever play their own game?

They probably play it when it's multiplayer, but what about single player games? I'm curious about this. I guess with graphic or text adventures is almost impossible not to remember the puzzles you created, but what about action games?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cranker said:

I’m sure it’s an issue but probably far from the only issue . 

But it’s all interrelated, securing components, production and shipping will in turn trigger the last steps of software and firmware developments not the other way around. Also, they can’t be to quick to inform us about a delay as they have to first have a new plan that is aligned with all stake holders, retailers, distributors, developers and suppliers. All this while struggling with being pre-revenue for several “extra” years. The console and games that was demoed at the Crayola event would be enough for me to pony up the 249, so I guess am not as stressed over the lack of progress in the other software until now. I imagen they would accelerate once they get closer to launch.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, N0mi said:

Come on, this is ridiculous, counting words in someone's comment, you want to dictate what he's allowed to answer?

Discussion of possible sound and graphic issues arose ever since the first (and therefore early) videos were shown.

I still don't see the negative in his answer. 

Nope, I don’t want to dictate anything.  That user has (multiple times) had a “what… me… they’re annoyed by MY incessant responses?!? Little ol' me??!?!  WHAT?  WHY?!?”  type of mentality in their posts,  So I was simply using a recent, real example to help explain why.   If they really care about how they’re being perceived, as they have implied, hopefully it helps.  If not, then oh well, easy enough to ignore.

Maybe instead of simply noticing the word count (that was conveniently already provided by MS Word), it would have been better received if I had said 78% of the answer was negative criticism that wasn’t asked for.  They sure do love them thar pesky percentages.

Discussion of sound and graphic issues has been a thing, and should continue to be a thing.  Absolutely!  Feedback is necessary.   Sounds like a great singular topic for a thread/discussion, where folks can really hone in on what they love/hate and what they perceive to be going right/wrong.  I have my own thoughts, positive and negative, and would certainly pitch in.  But unless I misunderstood, things were changed recently to make it so that this specific thread is no longer the right place for it.  (seems like the mods outlined all that to help “dictate” the flow of conversation, not me)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Tron -  I can hope!

Dynablaster - I know the basic game, but want to see how this version works with the controller. Plus the difference in the version(s) we've seen previously.

Space Strikers  - Other than the Devs talking about it , and using the xbox controllers,  we haven't seem much of this one. I remember a discussion a few dozen pages back about the gameplay being different from the first showing. Would like to see more.

Intellivision Pool - Interested in the controls as well.. Not on my "must get" list currently.. But Maybe if the controls are good. I did enjoy Imagic Pool... So a possible yes.

Missile Command - I'd like to see how it's been updated for multiple players. Not sure if I like having the launchers on the top and bottom of the screen. I don't know if it will FEEL like Missile Command. 

Finnigan Fox - I'm already sold on this one.. So No need to show me any more.

Evel Knievel -  Same here..

For all of the above, I think it would be nice to see the progression. From the initial version until today.  Warts and all. I know that will open up some people to say.. Look Lag!!! or FRAMERATE!!!

Edited by woobman
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Discussion of sound and graphic issues has been a thing, and should continue to be a thing.  Absolutely!  Feedback is necessary.   Sounds like a great singular topic for a thread/discussion, where folks can really hone in on what they love/hate and what they perceive to be going right/wrong

And I was asked on this thread, not on another, and I replied therefore here. I spoke about Dynablaster and Cloudy Mountain - which part you did not count ; ).

I cannot change your perception of me, so if you want to ignore me, you are completely allowed to do that.

• Like 1

Along the lines of my last post... I'm not sure you have the infrastructure for this.. (AWS?)  If you did, I'd love to see a Development Diary for all the games on the store. Have them unlockable when purchased. Sort of a bonus.  If not every game. Maybe just the physical? Each Dev team could make it in their own style.  I think that would be a load of fun to watch them get creative. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Lusorius said:

I cannot change your perception of me, so if you want to ignore me, you are completely allowed to do that.

Not at all.  I personally have no problem with you at all, and personally have  no problem with any of your posts that I’ve seen, and my apologies if it came across that way.   Many do, and I can certainly understand why (and I believe it’s easy to see why) so pointed out an example.  You had previously seemed bothered/concerned that some may associate your name with the “constant negative” side of things, so if I misread that and you truly don’t give a crap how you’re perceived, then that’s cool too, and my apologies for misreading it.

My “easy enough to ignore” comment wasn’t suggesting you were easy enough to ignore.  😁  It was saying that if you didn’t care about how you’re perceived, then my earlier comment was easy enough (for you) to ignore.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, IntelliMission said:

Hey Tommy (and anyone who can answer), do a video game MAIN designer (not a regular programmer) ever play their own game?

They probably play it when it's multiplayer, but what about single player games? I'm curious about this. I guess with graphic or text adventures is almost impossible not to remember the puzzles you created, but what about action games?

I've known several who do play their own single player games.   But also, I've known many who are so sick of it by the time it's finished, they never wanna see it again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

You had previously seemed bothered/concerned that some may associate your name with the “constant negative” side of things,

That is misunderstanding, I guess. It was suggested that my sole username (afaik), i.e., Lusorius, puts me into a specific group od Amico trolls. I then asked why because I thought that there may be a language barrier. I picked up that username based on Latin root for "game" and I hope it does not have any bad meaning in English.

4 hours ago, Lusorius said:

Could you try motion controls with any other game? :)

+ How did LEDs work? Both on the console and on the controller?

The only game I played that used the motion control was Evel Knievel.  To be honest, the motion control as employed in this game could have been accomplished by the disc, or even the screen, but I feel the motion control as it was implemented brought an improved (and fun) input over the other two, hence my comment on smart implementation.  When the wii came out I was worried that motion control would be gimmicky and that game play would suffer as a result.  When hearing Amico was going to use them as well, I initially had similar concerns and am glad I found this to not be the case. 

The games I played and saw were Astosmash, Dyna Blasters, Shark! Shark! , Evel Knievel, Skiing, Finnegan Fox, Pool, Emoji Charades, Moon Patrol, Bi Planes, Flying Tigers & Missile Command.  The only legit use of motion control I could think of for any of these games (beyond what was integrated into EK) would be to be able to jink the controller left or right to hyperspace in Astrosmash and again jink the controller in any direction to initiate an evade in Biplanes.  Who else swings their non-motion controller when they need to quickly push a button in a game, especially when playing a new game, or is it just me?  They may have tried these and maybe it didn’t execute well or maybe the didn't consider them (I only thought of these just now myself - thanks for the questions ).  

Tommy did ask our opinion on if Moon Patrol should retain motion control for buggy speed as we both used that mode on the app and at the time I think I said it couldn’t hurt but the disc worked, but think I was so infatuated with the disc I was excited to use that over any motion control.  There was definitely an adjustment in that game for us going to non-motion controls, but got that we might be in the minority using them in the app?  For those that played it on the app, what control scheme did you use?

I legitimately used the disc light on more than one occasion to assist with orienting myself on which player I was, so genuine props on that design. To be honest, there was a lot to take in on that day and didn't really key in on the button lights or those on the console and am bummed I didn't take more more notice. I had a few questions I wanted to ask on that day and totally miffed that as well.  

I can understand Crankers and others feeling that things beyond parts may be delaying the console but from what I saw and experienced myself, I really don’t think this is the case.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, godslabrat said:

I can't think of a rational scenario where a large group of people who spent money for a product would not want to know EXACTLY why it is not done a year after it was supposed to be.  If you're willing to entertain that possibility, that's quite all right, but I am not.

It again seems more of a question if you feel it will ever be released. Whether or not their reasons are noble or not, I don’t have a system in my possession. I don’t care what was said on what day or what theoretical percentage was on which moment. EXACTLY does nothing to change my status of no Amico at my house. 

I can think of a rational scenario where someone with nothing invested thinks they should be able to dictate company messages, but I can’t tie that to why their incessant redirection of a fun thread will help me get my Amico. 

Or maybe I have lived through the world the past two years and am still willing to give the benefit of the doubt in something I have no control over. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Starpaddler said:

The only game I played that used the motion control was Evel Knievel.

[...]

console but from what I saw and experienced myself, I really don’t think this is the case.  

Thanks for the detailed description of your experience! :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Starpaddler said:

The only game I played that used the motion control was Evel Knievel.

[...]

console but from what I saw and experienced myself, I really don’t think this is the case.  

Thanks for the detailed description of your experience! :) 

Edit: sorry, issues with internet connection.

Edited by Lusorius

3 hours ago, PeterPepper said:

Pool

Finnigan Fox

Space Strikers

Dynablaster

I would like to see these as I think there has been a lot more covered on Evel Knievel, Astrosmash and Missile Command. 

I know they aren't on the list but I would love to see more of Skiing and Bomb Squad if possible. 

You are going to like Skiing, I guarantee it.  

If you don’t, send me your receipt for the digital version of the game and I’ll reimburse you. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Zee said:

I wanna be a shill! Let me play Amico!!!!

*Waits patiently*

School House Rock popped into my head on this one -

I'm just a shill.  
Yes, I'm only a shill.
And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill

• Haha 6

Maybe this is something fun?

Tommy, 

Do you know if I can power the Amico on and off with the controller. I may mount one in the trunk of my old W12. If I hack the video screens for input, will I have to touch the console to power on or off? 

I know if a game requires the lights on the console, it will be no good in the car. Two player backseat simple gaming each with a monitor in front of them sounds fun to me. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

Ready includes testing.  Why wouldn't it.  Testing is part of any development schedule.

Agreed, but I believe some testing/verification will have to wait until things are scaled with thousands, then 10’s of thousands, then 100’s of thousands, etc. users.  Things often work in a lab or with a few dozen connections, but fail when scaled to large numbers.  Not saying I’m worried about things, just that there may be somethings they might need to tweak to optimize as things grow in the future.

I do think some people need to recognize more what they’ve done to date, and I feel that should garner a little confidence that they will get things across the line.  

Edited by Starpaddler
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Starpaddler said:

The only game I played that used the motion control was Evel Knievel.  To be honest, the motion control as employed in this game could have been accomplished by the disc, or even the screen, but I feel the motion control as it was implemented brought an improved (and fun) input over the other two, hence my comment on smart implementation.  

You happen to know if that offered "user choice" where the player could choose do use the disc or motion?  Or motion only, even though things perhaps could have been the same with disc.

Going back to the Wii that you mentioned, I always felt that game using motion control because it simply wouldn't have worked well with stick and buttons (like boom blox, or trauma center) were fine, but most of the bad vibes came from forcing the player to waggle the crap out of things when simply pressing "A" would have worked.

... one of the Rampage games comes to mind.  😖

• Like 1

Evel Knievel is already awesome on my iPad and I’m dying to play the reworked Amico version with the controller on the big screen. Skiing is another game I’m obsessed with. It looks crazy fun and a favorite among my non gaming friends (Shark Shark is a winner too) Moon Patrol is my personal “killer app” - but Missile Command, Breakout and Night Stalker are on my must buy list too.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Cranker said:

I’m sure it’s an issue but probably far from the only issue . 

My job is literally corporate risk (these days anyway), and “issue” has a very defined meaning to me. 

Risk is something that has potential to affect a corporation in some capacity (usually resulting in a loss of money) but that can ideally be managed thru active mitigation to either eliminate or lessen the consequence of the risk. Not all not risks are mitigate-able though as some risks are just bookmarks against profitability with little that can be done to mitigate, these are assumed and are a more wait and see how things play out)

An Issue is something that lacks adequate time or resources to avoid. Every corporation manages their Risks and Issues a little differently, but believe they all have an established system to manage it, especially publicly traded ones.  If a risk is not successful mitigated it becomes realized and becomes an Issue.  

In this context, I’d say the shortage is a definite issue, but given where the UI and the 3 pack-in games sat when I saw them 6 weeks ago and WRT the 10/10/21 launch date, from what I saw (and I admittedly don’t know anything behind the scenes), these two aspects wouldn't cross the line to be formalized as even a risk, let alone an Issue.  I also admittedly can’t speak to to the other 3 pack-ins or the e-shop.  

As for launch games, I saw many that were launch ready 6 weeks ago and none of these games individually would prevent an Amico launch, so these individually bring zero risk to the launch of the console; there may however be risk with launch of a particular title at console launch, but that would be low consequence to IE (and consumers).

The ‘flip’ side of the same coin to Risk is Opportunity.  You would probably be shocked on how often the same “concern” can be interpreted as a risk or an opportunity, as you would think they are diametrically opposed; they are not, they are very related.

With the issue of chips and the resulting delay, any risk that might exist to either the 3 remaining pack-ins or the e-shop delaying the console launch would benefit from a lower probability due to the chip-caused delay, providing additional time to mitigate. 

I think what many are missing is that the chip-caused delay has provided opportunities to further enhance and polish the other aspects of the system, but are now complaining that these were supposed to be already done.

If you wanted to start building a tree house for your kid and present it to him at Christmas (assuming you could do this without his knowledge, but this is just an example for arguments sake), what would it look like?  What if in October your wife told you she wanted to go away for Christmas this year and wanted to wait until their Birthday in July to give it to them.  Would it look different?  

Now what if your wife started complaining to you in February that you had planed to finish the tree house by Christmas and were not yet done? - Now thats what I’d call an Issue. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, flynnz said:

You know I have just been reading this thread for a few days now without actually wanting to chime in, because I typically don't enjoy back and forth on message boards, but I really have to call you out on this Tommy. You throw the word harassment out a lot, and I am SURE you have witnessed some in regards to the nature of the internet being a terrible place. But as far as I can tell, people in this thread have been mostly respectful in their questioning and yet you keep bringing it up here instead of giving a direct answer. "Why should I answer...haters will just blah blah harassment blah" If this is really how you feel, why engage at all? Just say something more like "at this time, I can't comment on the progress of the system because it is an ongoing situation that changes rapidly" (and if you have tried that, leave it at that). The irony is that you used a personal attack against Lusorius, who's only fault as far as I can tell is annoying you with questions you don't want to answer, or perhaps felt you have answered many times before. Now, being that this thread is labeled "fun" you could argue he should respect that and keep the questions more light and positive in nature, but in no way is he deserving of the above comment. 

Wow, really?

Yea, Getting tired of people trying to speak for me of what I should and shouldn’t want; i.e., i shouldn’t want simpler graphics, less complex games and couch co-op.  And as far as harassing, there may be things you are not aware of.  Would you consider ANYTHING flung at Tommy’s wife because of anything to do with Amico harassment, or is that in any world okay?  What about the same IE’s employees?  What about YouTubeers who just want to report on what they like; so yea, really!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, godslabrat said:

I can't think of a rational scenario where a large group of people who spent money for a product would not want to know EXACTLY why it is not done a year after it was supposed to be.  If you're willing to entertain that possibility, that's quite all right, but I am not.

Again, think its just more that some people are just more understanding of the times and appreciate the current added difficulties with Covid. This would be hard without a pandemic, so I’m willing as a paying customer to be understanding; and I think there’s a more silent majority that agree.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Lusorius said:

And to elaborate on that, I never played original Intellivision and hence I don't have much connection to some of the games. But I played Dynablaster and later more modern, yet  today quite old Atomic Bomberman. Maybe it is nostalgia but I remember its bright colors and various environments.

I was surprised on how much more the colors popped in person.  Shark! Shark! especially, but I remember Dyanablasters covering the color spectrum pretty dynamically as well.  

• Like 4