Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

11 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

The other 2 games on display were the revamped Astrosmash,not sure if that is what it is called now-and Rigid Force Redux.

I liked Astrosmash well enough though I was never a huge fan of the original.

The graphics and music were outstanding,and again the control was silky smooth.

Rigid Force I played 2 player,one person steers and fires from a ship while player 2 fires from a blazing spaceball as the ships sidekick. Though you are controlling and firing your vehicle independently of each other.

Great graphics and sound though I would have liked to figure out if there is an options menu where you can both fly a ship simultaneously that are different colors so you can tell your ships apart from each other,and not have to have one person fly the indestructible copilot ship. Just my two cents.

There was one Amico hooked up with some of the interactive family stuff which was being utilized by families so I didn't check that out.

Someone else may have input on that!

I can tell by using the controller that games such as Skiing and Baseball will have a great chance of both being outstanding games for the Amico.👍

Awesome! Thank you again, very pleased to hear about the silky-smooth controls. Cannot wait to play!

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

The other 2 games on display were the revamped Astrosmash,not sure if that is what it is called now-and Rigid Force Redux.

I liked Astrosmash well enough though I was never a huge fan of the original.

The graphics and music were outstanding,and again the control was silky smooth.

Rigid Force I played 2 player,one person steers and fires from a ship while player 2 fires from a blazing spaceball as the ships sidekick. Though you are controlling and firing your vehicle independently of each other.

Great graphics and sound though I would have liked to figure out if there is an options menu where you can both fly a ship simultaneously that are different colors so you can tell your ships apart from each other,and not have to have one person fly the indestructible copilot ship. Just my two cents.

There was one Amico hooked up with some of the interactive family stuff which was being utilized by families so I didn't check that out.

Someone else may have input on that!

I can tell by using the controller that games such as Skiing and Baseball will have a great chance of both being outstanding games for the Amico.👍

Thanks Wolfy. How many people would you estimate were there, and what would you summarize their excitement level to be?  We’re there any there that didn’t seem to be interested?

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Starpaddler said:

Thanks Wolfy. How many people would you estimate were there, and what would you summarize their excitement level to be?  We’re there any there that didn’t seem to be interested?

I didnt sense any lack of enthusiasm from anyone,and it was a small group of maybe 40 people.  I think most people who showed up knew pretty much what to expect,so for me I kept my excitement level internalized.Though I was thrilled to be there!

Probably due to the fact the e-mail was sent out on short notice the day before it kept the crowd to a minimum.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I had a fun time in Irvine.  With my wife and kids (2, 7, & 9), I was mostly focused on how they viewed the Amico rather than myself.  I was already sold on it so I was mostly curious about their reactions.  We all played Shark Shark, Emoji Charades, Astrosmash, and Rigid Force Redux Enhanced.

I personally had fun with all the games, but Emoji Charades was my least favorite.  Ironically, Emoji Charades was everyone elses absolute favorite.  It's well done, just not my style of game.  It plays just like real Charades or Pictionary, except that you try to spell out the word by sending emojis to the TV using your cell phone.  There are a good amount of categories to choose from including kids specific categories.  My son LOVED when he got the word "fart."  He kept sending poop and wind emojis until my wife guessed it and everyone was laughing.  If you enjoy real Charades or Pictionary, you'll definitely enjoy this game.

My favorite was Rigid Force Redux Enhanced.  I played a little bit with Wolfy62, but played a lot longer with my son after he left.  Usually when I play similar games with my son, he runs out of lives so quickly that I end up just playing all by myself and he gets bored.  This didn't happen here because player two can't die.  We could actually progress through the game and even make little strategies to beat the bosses by letting his ship take the bigger risks while protecting my ship further back to not lose lives.  I'm definitely buying that game as a solid co-op experience with one skilled and one less skilled player.

My second favorite was Shark Shark.  I was helping my 2 year old play and the rest of my family were players 2-4.  Because players can eat each other, it created some interesting dynamics.  The girls all agreed to try not to eat each other while my son made it his goal to only eat the other human players.  If a player dies, they turn into a skeleton fish and can keep swimming and bumping into things, but can't eat until they come back to life after a little while.  Once they run out of extra lives, they stay a skeleton until another player beats the level by eating enough fish.

Astrosmash played similar to the original game, but with co-op, power-ups, and a more modern gameplay feel.  My son also had fun playing this.  His favorite feature was that he could smash rocks by warping through them.  He was literally jumping up and down each time he did it.  I played this the least amount of time because my other kids wanted to play in the Boomers arcade.  We were going back and forth between the arcade and the Amico event the whole time because that's what the kids wanted to do.

I thought that the controller felt very strong and sturdy, but lighter weight than I expected.  I purposely did not closely examine it at first and just picked it up and played to see if it was natural.  The feel in my hands was completely natural and the two shoulder buttons felt fine.

I was also surprised that the touchscreen worked fine as a single button.  I was worried that I would not like a touchscreen as a button, but there was no problem here.  On Rigid Force, it was the fire button.  On Astrosmash, I would slide it to make my ship warp slide.  I don't know if I could have just tapped the screen because I just naturally would swipe every time.  The ship would warp in the direction the ship was traveling in.  I wish that it would warp in the direction I swiped instead because I often wanted to change directions with a warp, but once I figured it out, it worked fine.

I did not try to use the touchscreen on Shark Shark during gameplay.  The screen showed the score during gameplay and let you choose your fish before gameplay.

The disc took me about a minute to get used to.  My mind kept switching my muscle memory from d-pad mode to thumbstick mode to original Intellivision disc mode.  After about 60 seconds, I stopped trying to analyze it and just played the game.  Once I stopped thinking about it, it became natural and my character on the screen simply did what I wanted it to do.  It works just as well as both a D-pad and a thumbstick for the 2D games I played.  On Shark Shark, I would also spin my thumb around the outside of the disc to swim in an arc which was fun.

Tommy gave me an extra disc to take home as a souvenir.  After looking at it, it really looks like a thumbstick with a very large diameter head and a very short shaft (please no jokes about my description lol).  Add a fidget spinner to the face of that head and you have an Amico disc.  You can really use it exactly like a thumbstick while you play.  You can also use it just like a D-pad because it is large enough to do so.  The spinning part is not an input itself, but it helps your thumb keep track of where it is just like the + shape helps on a D-pad.  If you spin your thumb on the outside and push down pressure, it's similar to spinning a large diameter low profile thumbstick, but with a slightly different feel.  It works well and I was very happy with it.  My wife and kids put no thought into the controller because it works well enough to not have to think.

Tommy also showed a few of us the physical media and what's inside the box.  He also asked us not to spoil the surprise by telling exactly what's inside.  I will say that original Intellivision fans will love it.  Those who have not seen or heard of the original Intellivision will still be happy, but won't have the same intense nostalgia that I had when he opened the box.  So many people argue about what is a digital and what is a physical game.  I feel the Amico physical product is a mixture between the two.

As a parent, I typically prefer digital games that my kids can't lose or break.  As a collector, I like physical games that I can buy, sell, and trade later on with other collectors.  Meeting other collectors in person is part of the fun of it for me.  The Amico physical games accomplish both my parenting and collecting desires by being something between the two things and both at the same time.  I will likely buy the physical version sometimes and the digital version other times depending on how much I am excited for each game.  Some will see what the products are and not care to much about them and others will absolutely love them.  I am happy to have the choice available to please those individuals who will love them.

This is a very long post.  If you have any specific questions please ask.  I'm not in the video game industry at all and hopefully can provide the point of view from a regular family guy with a blue-collar job.  The Amico is legitimately fun to play with my young kids.  The last co-op game I had this much fun playing with my son was Blaster Master Zero on the Switch.  The Amico will be that level of high quality in both gameplay and graphics, with perhaps even a higher level of innovation.  It has the potential to be an Indy game mecca.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, LinemanDoc said:

Tommy also showed a few of us the physical media and what's inside the box.  He also asked us not to spoil the surprise by telling exactly what's inside.  I will say that original Intellivision fans will love it.  Those who have not seen or heard of the original Intellivision will still be happy, but won't have the same intense nostalgia that I had when he opened the box.

tenor.gif?ctx=share

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, LinemanDoc said:

Tommy also showed a few of us the physical media and what's inside the box.  He also asked us not to spoil the surprise by telling exactly what's inside.  I will say that original Intellivision fans will love it.  Those who have not seen or heard of the original Intellivision will still be happy, but won't have the same intense nostalgia that I had when he opened the box.  So many people argue about what is a digital and what is a physical game.  I feel the Amico physical product is a mixture between the two.

seven-brad-pitt.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

14 hours ago, LinemanDoc said:

I had a fun time in Irvine.  With my wife and kids (2, 7, & 9), I was mostly focused on how they viewed the Amico rather than myself.  I was already sold on it so I was mostly curious about their reactions.  We all played Shark Shark, Emoji Charades, Astrosmash, and Rigid Force Redux Enhanced.

I personally had fun with all the games, but Emoji Charades was my least favorite.  Ironically, Emoji Charades was everyone elses absolute favorite.  It's well done, just not my style of game.  It plays just like real Charades or Pictionary, except that you try to spell out the word by sending emojis to the TV using your cell phone.  There are a good amount of categories to choose from including kids specific categories.  My son LOVED when he got the word "fart."  He kept sending poop and wind emojis until my wife guessed it and everyone was laughing.  If you enjoy real Charades or Pictionary, you'll definitely enjoy this game.

My favorite was Rigid Force Redux Enhanced.  I played a little bit with Wolfy62, but played a lot longer with my son after he left.  Usually when I play similar games with my son, he runs out of lives so quickly that I end up just playing all by myself and he gets bored.  This didn't happen here because player two can't die.  We could actually progress through the game and even make little strategies to beat the bosses by letting his ship take the bigger risks while protecting my ship further back to not lose lives.  I'm definitely buying that game as a solid co-op experience with one skilled and one less skilled player.

My second favorite was Shark Shark.  I was helping my 2 year old play and the rest of my family were players 2-4.  Because players can eat each other, it created some interesting dynamics.  The girls all agreed to try not to eat each other while my son made it his goal to only eat the other human players.  If a player dies, they turn into a skeleton fish and can keep swimming and bumping into things, but can't eat until they come back to life after a little while.  Once they run out of extra lives, they stay a skeleton until another player beats the level by eating enough fish.

Astrosmash played similar to the original game, but with co-op, power-ups, and a more modern gameplay feel.  My son also had fun playing this.  His favorite feature was that he could smash rocks by warping through them.  He was literally jumping up and down each time he did it.  I played this the least amount of time because my other kids wanted to play in the Boomers arcade.  We were going back and forth between the arcade and the Amico event the whole time because that's what the kids wanted to do.

I thought that the controller felt very strong and sturdy, but lighter weight than I expected.  I purposely did not closely examine it at first and just picked it up and played to see if it was natural.  The feel in my hands was completely natural and the two shoulder buttons felt fine.

I was also surprised that the touchscreen worked fine as a single button.  I was worried that I would not like a touchscreen as a button, but there was no problem here.  On Rigid Force, it was the fire button.  On Astrosmash, I would slide it to make my ship warp slide.  I don't know if I could have just tapped the screen because I just naturally would swipe every time.  The ship would warp in the direction the ship was traveling in.  I wish that it would warp in the direction I swiped instead because I often wanted to change directions with a warp, but once I figured it out, it worked fine.

I did not try to use the touchscreen on Shark Shark during gameplay.  The screen showed the score during gameplay and let you choose your fish before gameplay.

The disc took me about a minute to get used to.  My mind kept switching my muscle memory from d-pad mode to thumbstick mode to original Intellivision disc mode.  After about 60 seconds, I stopped trying to analyze it and just played the game.  Once I stopped thinking about it, it became natural and my character on the screen simply did what I wanted it to do.  It works just as well as both a D-pad and a thumbstick for the 2D games I played.  On Shark Shark, I would also spin my thumb around the outside of the disc to swim in an arc which was fun.

Tommy gave me an extra disc to take home as a souvenir.  After looking at it, it really looks like a thumbstick with a very large diameter head and a very short shaft (please no jokes about my description lol).  Add a fidget spinner to the face of that head and you have an Amico disc.  You can really use it exactly like a thumbstick while you play.  You can also use it just like a D-pad because it is large enough to do so.  The spinning part is not an input itself, but it helps your thumb keep track of where it is just like the + shape helps on a D-pad.  If you spin your thumb on the outside and push down pressure, it's similar to spinning a large diameter low profile thumbstick, but with a slightly different feel.  It works well and I was very happy with it.  My wife and kids put no thought into the controller because it works well enough to not have to think.

As a parent, I typically prefer digital games that my kids can't lose or break.  As a collector, I like physical games that I can buy, sell, and trade later on with other collectors.  Meeting other collectors in person is part of the fun of it for me.  The Amico physical games accomplish both my parenting and collecting desires by being something between the two things and both at the same time.  I will likely buy the physical version sometimes and the digital version other times depending on how much I am excited for each game.  Some will see what the products are and not care to much about them and others will absolutely love them.  I am happy to have the choice available to please those individuals who will love them.

This is a very long post.  If you have any specific questions please ask.  I'm not in the video game industry at all and hopefully can provide the point of view from a regular family guy with a blue-collar job.  The Amico is legitimately fun to play with my young kids.  The last co-op game I had this much fun playing with my son was Blaster Master Zero on the Switch.  The Amico will be that level of high quality in both gameplay and graphics, with perhaps even a higher level of innovation.  It has the potential to be an Indy game mecca.

Thanks for your review as it really gives clarity to those of us who have not been able to attend an event.  It's things like this that ignites the excitement I had when I first heard Intellivision would be releasing a modern console.  Thanks again for the detail of your review, it makes me look forward to the consoles release even more!

• Like 8

23 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

Left to right: LinemanDoc,Tommy T.,Wolfy62.

I can only speak for myself:I had a wonderful day at Boomers in Irvine CA.😊👍

Tommy and his crew were all very friendly and hospitable.

It was fun to play a couple Amico games with LinemanDoc and another fellow named George who came up from San Diego but is not an Atariage guy,just a fellow videogamer in his early 50s.

I enjoyed playing Shark!Shark! the most because it showed off the awesome Amico controllers ability to move easily and smoothly in all directions.

No lag,no slowdown just smooth and fun gameplay.

To say the least,I loved the controller. Its fantastic! 👍

Tommy was interacting with everyone there who wanted to play some games,explaining how the controller and games played and just being a great host.

I met John Alvarado who ran me through the Shark!Shark! gameplay and explained the controller to me.

Super nice guy!

They provided pizza for us as well which was a nice added touch.

Also,its important to note that although I didnt see the controller keypad doing all the things I am sure that it eventually will,everything that Tommy has shown to this point was exactly as he has stated. 

So,all my expectations for what I wanted to see and experience were met and then exceeded because I absolutely love how the controller works.

I cant say enough great things about that!

LinemanDoc brought his Wife and kids and they appeared to be having a great time with some family Amico games that I did not partake in.

I had a good conversation with him, very friendly person.

Hopefully he gives an account of how his day went for him and his family.

Thank you Tommy for inviting us down,it was great to play and see the system before its commercial launch. 

That meant a lot to me and I wish nothing but success for Intellivision Entertainment,which I believe it will have lots of going forward.

If anyone has any questions about something I didnt mention here,please ask and I will provide an honest answer.

20210911_120310.jpg

Thanks for the awesome recap!  So glad you enjoyed what you saw!

And thank you so much for your support.  Looking forward to getting a group together at the Intellivision offices to play some original Intellivision at some point!

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Wolfy62,

I'm glad to hear you had a good time with the Amico.  You mentioned Shark! Shark! using 16 directions with the disc.  I thought the new controller did 64 directions.  Maybe only some Amico games use all 64.

Correct.  Shark! Shark! is 64 positions.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

Yeah,I may have stated that incorrectly as I wasnt aware of the fact it moves in 64 directions,which is obviously even better.

It definitely moved well and smoothly in every direction,it felt like you imagine it would to actually be a fish swimming!

A lot of people always mention this.  Very hard to describe through words or video, but there is just something so right about the way it controls and moves the fish.  :)

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Pac in Blac said:

Wolfy, what other games were there and did you have takes on any of them? Thank you for providing your reactions/take on the event for those of us who weren't able to attend!

We had Shark! Shark!, Emoji Charades, Astrosmash, Rigid Force Redux Enhanced, Moon Patrol & Evel Knievel.  And someone had asked about Finnigan Fox so at the end of the day I sparked that one up for him.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Starpaddler said:

I was told that throughout the entire day we had just over 100 people from start to finish.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, LinemanDoc said:

Very cool write-up!  Thank you for the detailed description. 

Was so great to meet your family and watch them play. 

Having a little something for everyone in the family is definitely our goal... so it's good to see that it was the case with your family as well.

Looking forward to showing them more in the future!

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

We had Shark! Shark!, Emoji Charades, Astrosmash, Rigid Force Redux Enhanced, Moon Patrol & Evel Knievel.  And someone had asked about Finnigan Fox so at the end of the day I sparked that one up for him.

Dang,sorry I missed out on Evil Knievel and Moon Patrol.

I was there for close to 3 hours so I figured I saw everything. 

Its ok,because I know I want to purchase both games anyway.

And thank you for being such a gracious host,and any corrections you make here regarding my synopsis. 

I only want the facts to come out on top in any situation. 👍

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

That's pretty good.

It's tough to get a lot of people on 4 different consoles throughout the day as we didn't want people having to wait around for too long.  If each group played for 10 minutes on each game... you can see how quickly 4 hours can go by!

:)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wolfy62 said:

Dang,sorry I missed out on Evil Knievel and Moon Patrol.

I was there for close to 3 hours so I figured I saw everything. 

Its ok,because I know I want to purchase both games anyway.

And thank you for being such a gracious host,and any corrections you make here regarding my synopsis. 

I only want the facts to come out on top in any situation. 👍

No worries!  Thank you for the synopsis!  So many things going on and seeing it all for the first time that I'm sure it's difficult to keep track of them all.

Speaking of only the facts...

Someone who went to the event tweeted some misinformation to a certain obsessed podcaster.  So of course people are now believing things that were never true.  And of course, people make false videos about it.  But just to clarify (sad that I keep having to do this over and over).  Contrary to what was said (and both @wolfy62 and @LinemanDoc can confirm this), pictures and videos were absolutely allowed at the event.  It was said that we made people sign a waiver saying that we didn't allow video or pics.  Absolutely not the case.  I'm assuming the person who tweeted that may have misunderstood what was told to them.  The waiver (which was clearly explained to everyone who walked into the area) was to give us permission to film them playing Amico.  And if people didn't want to be filmed... they could still come in (we just had to make sure we avoided getting them on camera).  Big difference than what is being told and now retold by misinformed folks.  But that seems to be the "norm" these days.  If people can raise some kind of concern or controversy or make up drama, they will in hopes of getting more "views". 

Aside from the pics posted here, there are others posted in one of the Amico Facebook groups that you can view here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/amicogamingfun/posts/1274145676347901/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/amicogamingfun/posts/1274117536350715/

Just wanted to clear that up in case anyone was interested.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

On 9/12/2021 at 12:02 AM, CurlyQ said:

intellivision-amico-evel-knievel.thumb.png.67bc2a9ed3bb89a218006ac30480ada2.png

image.png.e6ff79b87fdb189ed753da789825f33c.png

Saw the Evel on Bike this weekend and thought about all the people in Irvine playing it. Come to Salt Lake!!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

No worries!  Thank you for the synopsis!  So many things going on and seeing it all for the first time that I'm sure it's difficult to keep track of them all.

Speaking of only the facts...

Someone who went to the event tweeted some misinformation to a certain obsessed podcaster.  So of course people are now believing things that were never true.  And of course, people make false videos about it.  But just to clarify (sad that I keep having to do this over and over).  Contrary to what was said (and both @wolfy62 and @LinemanDoc can confirm this), pictures and videos were absolutely allowed at the event.  It was said that we made people sign a waiver saying that we didn't allow video or pics.  Absolutely not the case.  I'm assuming the person who tweeted that may have misunderstood what was told to them.  The waiver (which was clearly explained to everyone who walked into the area) was to give us permission to film them playing Amico.  And if people didn't want to be filmed... they could still come in (we just had to make sure we avoided getting them on camera).  Big difference than what is being told and now retold by misinformed folks.  But that seems to be the "norm" these days.  If people can raise some kind of concern or controversy or make up drama, they will in hopes of getting more "views". 

Aside from the pics posted here, there are others posted in one of the Amico Facebook groups that you can view here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/amicogamingfun/posts/1274145676347901/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/amicogamingfun/posts/1274117536350715/

Just wanted to clear that up in case anyone was interested.

Probably the easiest way to clear this up would be to post the signed documents.  With all the people who showed up, surely someone would volunteer their own, in the interest of clarity?