Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

15 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

How about the rest of you?  And what did you use your modem for back in the day?

Same here, 300 baud.  It came in the first computer I got back in 83.  My parents got it for me to start college.  My dad was an electrical engineer for IBM, so naturally it was an IBM PC.  If I recall even with his employee discount it was a big chunk of change for back then,  like around $2,500 or so.  It had the modem, 16K of memory (I think), 2 single sided 5 1/4 floppy drives (no hard drive), upgraded CGA color graphics and monitor (no monochrome here!), and an IBM dot matrix printer (made by Epson).  I still have it to this day.  It was heavily modified throughout the years, I even think my brother upgraded the motherboard to an XT or AT mobo when he took it after I got a new one.  I really need to bring it back to it’s original state, all the original parts where kept.

I used the modem for BBSing and for dialing into the campus mainframe to do my homework for my programming courses.  It sure beat having to go down to the computer center and wait for a terminal!   Oh and yes there were some Samantha Fox and Madonna pictures that were downloaded from said BBSs and maybe some games 😉.

Edited by Saldo
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Tutti qui ricordano il primo modem che hanno avuto??

Il mio era per il mio Apple IIc. Erano 300 baud!

Non ho mai avuto il tipo in cui ci metti il telefono (come nella foto sopra).

Penso di averlo avuto, ma non ricordo il logo Apple sul davanti. Ma sembrava decisamente simile se questo non fosse quello esatto. L'ho usato principalmente per andare su bacheche e applaudire a hater trollz. (prendendo in giro!)

immagini22.jpg.886559dff359b7a278cc7bcd07776d04.jpg

:)

Ricordo di averne preso uno dopo aver visto WarGames. Penso che per chiunque abbia la nostra età... quel film è stato un punto di svolta. Hahaha!

Quindi il mio primo modem deve essere stato nel 1984 o nel 1985. Wargames è uscito alla fine dell'83 e l'Apple IIc nell'84.

"FACCIAMO UN GIOCO?!?!?"

E il resto di voi? E per cosa usavi il modem in passato?

My first modem was, at the end of the 80s, the Videotel, a monitor with the keyboard supplied by the SIP (Italian telephone company of those times), it connected to the telephone network and you could chat with other users or read news. There were various pages dedicated to various interests, sports, music, sex chats ... This experience lasted a few months, since the cost was very high, I was chatting for hours, especially at night, and when the first bills to pay arrived, my mother fainted at moments and after having severely scolded me, she dismantled the Videotel herself and brought it back to SIP.

Acceso-e-Tastiera.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Just this evening I was online through my 1983 Mattel Aquarius 300 baud modem and an original landline. It was arguably the most obscure computer/modem setups in the 1980s, but still works fine on old phone lines and simple dial-up BBSes (even able to send Tweets out with it, lol).

image.thumb.png.b75a0349900e226b4ceb0d855a6e6c0b.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

How about the rest of you?  And what did you use your modem for back in the day?

Mine was a 300 baud for my beloved Commodore 64

Edited by MonsterSky
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Starpaddler said:

It sure seems more and more like there is a concerted & coordinated effort to spin falsehoods and crap on Amico.  

You would think this is an article from journalists, but I don’t consider anyone a journalist who puts something like this out without fact-checking the “facts” they spout off on. How can IE not be damaged by unprofessional journalism like this?  It sure starting to feel like something more than just unprofessionalism in journalism to me.   

Absolutely distasteful. 

https://apple.news/AAuqw0yrmRlGXJUfqn8AKIw

Lucky for Intellivision nobody I can find gives two shits about Kutaku everyone knows they do lazy uninformed reporting in the game space and they focus much more on the number of ads they can place on their site and inflammatory clickbait headlines 

• Like 7

19 hours ago, LinemanDoc said:

My first computer, modem, CD drive, Zip drive, MIDI interface, CPU Accelerator, Ethernet card, and dual monitor setup is still in everyday use in my living room.  Surprisingly it still connects to the modern internet if you can decipher the images displayed in 2 bit graphics.  Can't get enough Dark Castle for me.

I actually still use it for music notation since most of my old compositions from middle school and high school band were done on it with old software that doesn't exist anymore.  I'm only missing my old Korg M1 I used to use with it since my brother took that and later donated it to his son's school where it continues to be used in live performances.

IMG_20210918_070052.jpg

The Korg M1 was awesome back in the day!

What is that keyboard on the left?  And what was the color coded stuff?

Did anyone here have the original Intellivision music keyboard?  That was one I never knew existed until about 10 years ago.  I ended up finding a white one on Ebay and for those who may not have known... they also did a brown one in Europe/UK!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, RREDDWARFF said:

Lol, well the kids don't have to know that they are pint glasses. They used to sell these types of drinking glasses with Atari arcade side art years ago. I was lucky to have purchased some. Except, I'd be even more lucky if I knew where the heck we put them.

m10052808310_1.jpg

Nice!  I never saw those before!  Atari should bring those back!

Has anyone ever seen the Atari Hot Wheels cars?

ataricars_big.thumb.png.1b145f3c597b8f4c42fa187145499682.png

42a1a32aba695eed0e0b14bfdb74a527--atari-hot-wheels.thumb.jpg.91f958c476c15a5ac6757d700c1ae857.jpg

They are pretty cool.  Thankfully for Ebay I was able to hunt them all down!

• Like 15

19 hours ago, justclaws said:

Absolutely... for my first computer, the Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16K, expanded to 48K), from Christmas 1982.
Sadly, if you missed it, the inventor/entrepreneur, Sir Clive Sinclair, died this week.
https://www.theguardian.com/games/2021/sep/17/clive-sinclair-zx-spectrum-offbeat-brilliance

Oh no!  I hadn't heard that.  :(

My very first computer was the TS-1000 (Timex Sinclair).

2K of onboard memory with the additional upgraded 16K expansion module!

ts1000.JPG.dc288cf1a7e1bcb332ec0522b770da47.JPG

Anyone remember this ad from the 80's?

c13d12e5bb1268ce914d7c3140eff72e.thumb.jpg.bd556ce8e6c9df1296f0130729056070.jpg

• Like 8

19 hours ago, justclaws said:

My first console was a Binatone B/W games system. (Which sounds worse? Players 1 & 2, or left & right?)
Easy controls. For the shooting games, it had a light gun.
binatone.thumb.jpg.f7931f30cba37d695ce0864cf7b9be9a.jpg

There are so many great Binatone machines from back in the day!  They took PONG and square pixels to a whole new level!

I think I probably have at least 6 or 7 different versions and models.  They were always really unique looking and always had some kind of orange part which I always thought was pretty neat.

These are a few of my favorite Binitones that I currently have...

60dc3f553265e18c0dd435dda9bf3854.thumb.jpg.e952c2ccf7a41c4b20b761ee96a79f81.jpg

Tokyo_Colour_TV_Game-colour_10.thumb.jpg.01e1e40c36a77405e4fc5e6c465afaf2.jpg

_112765555_jornbinatonegame.thumb.jpg.15e7e68c35c864c3677842c9ab2c7b78.jpg

• Like 10

18 hours ago, Alpha82 said:

And a Bible quiz game where if you got the answer wrong there was a winged devil on the game over screen

GET THE ANSWER RIGHT OR GO TO HELL!!!

😈🤬👿👹👺

That must have been pretty horrifying for a young man!

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

18 hours ago, Papy said:

I spent half an hour looking into old boxes for my old 300 baud modem, but couldn't find it. Maybe it's still at my mother's house (if she didn't throw it away). I'm pretty sure it was the Commodore Automodem model 1650. I used it for BBS forums and multiplayer turn-based games (also on BBS). I believe I later upgraded to a Supra Modem 2400 and then a US Robotics 14,400 Sportster. After getting an Internet access in 93, I upgraded again to a 56k modem.

I believe my first nickname was Red Dragon. I remember Wolfman, Sweetie, Grenouille, Ti-Gilles and several other users. We met in GT several times. Oh, how time flies...

Thanks for sharing Red Dragon!

Oh... and please don't eat me!

p30402_p_v10_ae.thumb.jpg.1fefa0eb1dd120796088c2013b23723f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Saldo said:

I used the modem for BBSing and for dialing into the campus mainframe to do my homework for my programming courses.  It sure beat having to go down to the computer center and wait for a terminal!   Oh and yes there were some Samantha Fox and Madonna pictures that were downloaded from said BBSs and maybe some games 😉.

"Touch me!  Touch me!  I wanna feel your body!"

I had the Samantha Fox poster in my room.  Right next to Catherine Bach, Heather Thomas & Farrah Fawcett of course.

I just had to search for it on YouTube...

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Crusader71 said:

My first modem was, at the end of the 80s, the Videotel, a monitor with the keyboard supplied by the SIP (Italian telephone company of those times), it connected to the telephone network and you could chat with other users or read news. There were various pages dedicated to various interests, sports, music, sex chats ... This experience lasted a few months, since the cost was very high, I was chatting for hours, especially at night, and when the first bills to pay arrived, my mother fainted at moments and after having severely scolded me, she dismantled the Videotel herself and brought it back to SIP.

Acceso-e-Tastiera.jpg

Wow!  Now that's something I've never seen or heard about before.  Always cool to find out what others had in different parts of the world.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MattPilz said:

Just this evening I was online through my 1983 Mattel Aquarius 300 baud modem and an original landline. It was arguably the most obscure computer/modem setups in the 1980s, but still works fine on old phone lines and simple dial-up BBSes (even able to send Tweets out with it, lol).

image.thumb.png.b75a0349900e226b4ceb0d855a6e6c0b.png

Hahahha!  No way!!  Didn't even though that was still possible.

You better start reading those 998 unread messages!

Sears may have contacted you to let you know they needed an address update so they can send you out the new 1985 Christmas Catalogue!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MonsterSky said:

Mine was a 300 baud for my beloved Commodore 64

I always wondered... is that 12345 Intellivision serial number your machine?

Very cool.

• Like 3

I was going to ask what happened when you pressed "G" to access the "[G] Games" option shown in that BBS image above.

But I googled it to save time and... wow! There were quite a few games using text as graphics. Some of them single player, other real-time multiplayer.

A few months ago, someone made a 4 part documentary about BBS called "Back to the BBS". Part 2 is about games. There's even people creating new games:

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

I always wondered... is that 12345 Intellivision serial number your machine?

Very cool.

Is the serial number of one of Intellivision in my collection, not my childhood one. Thanks.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

The Korg M1 was awesome back in the day!

What is that keyboard on the left?  And what was the color coded stuff?

Did anyone here have the original Intellivision music keyboard?  That was one I never knew existed until about 10 years ago.  I ended up finding a white one on Ebay and for those who may not have known... they also did a brown one in Europe/UK!

Lol.  I use the Rock Band keyboard because it has both a MIDI port and a strap to conveniently hang it on the wall.  If I had a 360 degree camera, you'd see my Intellivision keyboard on the opposite side of the room.

IMG_20210907_211500.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

2K of onboard memory with the additional upgraded 16K expansion module!

Anyone remember this ad from the 80's?

I had an original ZX81, also, but I didn't get it until later in 1982, after getting my ZX Spectrum.
My ZX Spectrum needed a repair, and was away 2-3 weeks, so I got a new ZX81, still available at retail, to fill the gap in my life. 🙂

Back then, game music was special. It could be anything you wanted, with the ZX81, because it had no sound/speaker.
After loading the game, we could just put in a cassette, and press <play>. 🙂

The ZX Spectrum music was generated by the CPU, through a piezo speaker, so it was a single "channel", but some could be OK,
and 3rd-party add-ons and later machines (e.g. ZX Spectrum+ 128) had an AY-3-8910 chip installed for multi-channel sound. 🙂

There is an add-on for the ZX81 which also updates it with sound, flash storage; perhaps it also works on the Timex T1000.
The success of the Sinclair machines in the UK, and Europe, in particular, was the way anybody could code or build for them.

Here is also a tribute to Sir Clive Sinclair; one of many created so far; an icon.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Starpaddler said:

It sure seems more and more like there is a concerted & coordinated effort to spin falsehoods and crap on Amico.  

You would think this is an article from journalists, but I don’t consider anyone a journalist who puts something like this out without fact-checking the “facts” they spout off on. How can IE not be damaged by unprofessional journalism like this?  It sure starting to feel like something more than just unprofessionalism in journalism to me.   

Absolutely distasteful. 

https://apple.news/AAuqw0yrmRlGXJUfqn8AKIw

Argh, best to ignore such stuff. As we've seen, giving "hater trolls" the attention they desire only makes things worse.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

I just fixed one of these up this week! it is my first experience with the ZX line of systems, even with the super 16K upgrade LOL. Mad respect to everyone who actually lived the era of having to program games using that flat membrane keyboard and 1-2KB of RAM. It has been fun discovering the old games for it, many of which still really impress me given its severe limitations for the time.imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68 3D Monster Maze being one of the first FPS/3D horror type games ever!

zx81-2.thumb.jpg.aaaf4d4bef41b1b1a9242a57d4e1f605.jpg

8 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

I was going to ask what happened when you pressed "G" to access the "[G] Games" option shown in that BBS image above.

Yep, on this particular one you can play a text version of Tic Tac Toe, Blackjack or Space Invaders. Here is what Tic Tac Toe looks like. There are some BBS like those I access on a Commodore, that are also hosted using Commodore software, so they have playable games that also tap into the system's integrated graphics and so on for a more interesting display.

image.thumb.png.0a26f1552f8374a27d4d9a1a244edc5f.png

234748260_1105909986605613_4429977231228

Edited by MattPilz
  • Like 9