Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

1 hour ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Not currently planned.

Although new games will be highlighted and take center stage... so I guess some people may refer to that as news... but not in the traditional sense that I believe you are referring.

We'll let social media and our mailing list carry the lifting for that.  Simplicity is the key and goal to our U.I.  The less text the better (and less language translations to be concerned about).

Okay, that's fine.  I was just asking.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Starpaddler said:

That’s a terrible idea,

as it will take away good content for the Amico monthly physical magazine 😃.

I don't think it is.  GameStop has a digital magazine and a physical one too.  Some people prefer digital over physical.  Either one works for me.

• Like 3

What a bad start into the weekend - Mediamarkt Germany just cancelled my pre-order of the Amico First Edition. 😯

Ordered it way back October 22nd last year. 

• Sad 5

34 minutes ago, N0mi said:

What a bad start into the weekend - Mediamarkt Germany just cancelled my pre-order of the Amico First Edition. 😯

Ordered it way back October 22nd last year. 

Strange.  I just mentioned this to Hans and he said that it's still available for pre-order on their website:

https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_amico™-first-edition-sonstige-konsolen-2651349.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw88v3BRBFEiwApwLevRFY64wpDAhUg3m3rwE6vR-sQ_lU3P6bcZZMePvmki8YhqmgCko-IBoC68kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&rbtc=|||Gaming %2B VR > Sonstige Konsolen > |p||&uympq=vpqr

Here are all of the other places and links where you can order in Germany:

https://intellivision.com/germany-pre-orders

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One of our original hardware engineers who worked on the controller tech early on was Andre LaMothe.  He is a very highly regarded and trusted dude in the hardware gaming industry whose written many books and courses on the subject.

I just noticed that he posted this yesterday on one of the Intellivision Facebook groups and I thought some of the folks in here would find it interesting.

----------------------------------------------------

Andre LaMothe
Tommy has been 99% the voice for Amico, but I chime in from time to time to correct people or give them the facts. In 2018 Tommy approached me to develop the Amico (I have designed a number of game consoles and related hardware over the last 20 years). I told him, I would design the controllers myself and help put the engineering team together to design the console. I also told Tommy that we would need 2 years, no less, and that would be a grind.

That all said, Tommy agreed, and we got the hardware all done VERY quickly.

I finished the controllers, handed it all off, and the console devs and programmers continued working and developing everything.

The hardware was done, has been done, and there are no smoke and mirrors, exaggerations, etc. Covid simply jacked everything up, simple as that, and it continues to with the manufacturing pipelines and chip shortages. Building a console is a MASSIVE undertaking, there are so many things to consider. This is NOT a "one off" -- Tommy and everyone on the team are all life time gamers and game developers. We all want to create a product line, not a single blaze of glory to sell units at xmas based on a name. I have a number of Amico accessories I want to design once the product gets out there, and I am already thinking about Amico 2 and 3.

The Amico WILL ship, it's becoming closer and closer, and there is nothing that will stop it from shipping. The launch is obviously not what everyone had in mind and the last 2 years have just been unfortunate for everyone. As Tommy has said many times, they don't have 100s of million to burn in marketing and development, this is a very lean project, so unlike billion dollar companies Intellivision simply can't "buy" time and shorten schedules.

So, all those with any doubts, I am an Embedded Electrical Engineer and I build stuff -- this product is ready to go, been ready, but there are so many other things that are a challenge in the world right now, which have changed the trajectory of the project a number of times. But, like so many blockbuster movies that the studios are holding onto and releasing late this year or next year, Amico has been in the same boat. However, everyone is working as fast as possible and Tommy is 1000% committed to this product.

I get a lot of companies calling me each year to develop a game console, and I rarely will engage with them since I know they don't have the money, time, nor fortitude to see it thru -- When I spoke to Tommy and as we talked over the months and months of initial development, the Amico is his absolute passion -- That's why I said yes to the project. He will make this happen, it's just a matter of a little more time until everything can come together. It's like Avatar 2,3,4,5 we have been waiting for YEARS, but it WILL be worth it! And so will the Amico 🙂

• Like 14
  • Thanks 14

32 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Thanks Tommy!

First thought that it might have been some kind of automatic process when an order is pending for a year or so, but even that wouldn't fit. Might get in touch with them to get some Information on what has happened.

Edited by N0mi
  • Like 4

Using the movie analogy from my earlier post:

Think of the Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft  like some of the big movie houses out there.. Disney/Marvel/Fox/Sony/Universal Putting out Top tier.. No expense spared content.

8 hours ago, Papy said:
9 hours ago, Starpaddler said:

as it will take away good content for the Amico monthly physical magazine 😃.

Oh, how I miss going to my local "dépanneur" to see if my monthly or bimonthly magazines had finally arrived. How I miss picking up a magazine and then reading it as if it was a treasure. Now that the Internet is constantly flooding us with information, information has become worthless.

Gotta say there is something about the smell of newspaper print mixed with Tobacco that I miss.  All of the newsstands I used to walk in smelled of that. I don't smoke.. But I do miss that smell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

One of our original hardware engineers who worked on the controller tech early on was Andre LaMothe.  He is a very highly regarded and trusted dude in the hardware gaming industry whose written many books and courses on the subject.

I just noticed that he posted this yesterday on one of the Intellivision Facebook groups and I thought some of the folks in here would find it interesting.

----------------------------------------------------

Andre LaMothe
Tommy has been 99% the voice for Amico, but I chime in from time to time to correct people or give them the facts. In 2018 Tommy approached me to develop the Amico (I have designed a number of game consoles and related hardware over the last 20 years). I told him, I would design the controllers myself and help put the engineering team together to design the console. I also told Tommy that we would need 2 years, no less, and that would be a grind.

That all said, Tommy agreed, and we got the hardware all done VERY quickly.

I finished the controllers, handed it all off, and the console devs and programmers continued working and developing everything.

The hardware was done, has been done, and there are no smoke and mirrors, exaggerations, etc. Covid simply jacked everything up, simple as that, and it continues to with the manufacturing pipelines and chip shortages. Building a console is a MASSIVE undertaking, there are so many things to consider. This is NOT a "one off" -- Tommy and everyone on the team are all life time gamers and game developers. We all want to create a product line, not a single blaze of glory to sell units at xmas based on a name. I have a number of Amico accessories I want to design once the product gets out there, and I am already thinking about Amico 2 and 3.

The Amico WILL ship, it's becoming closer and closer, and there is nothing that will stop it from shipping. The launch is obviously not what everyone had in mind and the last 2 years have just been unfortunate for everyone. As Tommy has said many times, they don't have 100s of million to burn in marketing and development, this is a very lean project, so unlike billion dollar companies Intellivision simply can't "buy" time and shorten schedules.

So, all those with any doubts, I am an Embedded Electrical Engineer and I build stuff -- this product is ready to go, been ready, but there are so many other things that are a challenge in the world right now, which have changed the trajectory of the project a number of times. But, like so many blockbuster movies that the studios are holding onto and releasing late this year or next year, Amico has been in the same boat. However, everyone is working as fast as possible and Tommy is 1000% committed to this product.

I get a lot of companies calling me each year to develop a game console, and I rarely will engage with them since I know they don't have the money, time, nor fortitude to see it thru -- When I spoke to Tommy and as we talked over the months and months of initial development, the Amico is his absolute passion -- That's why I said yes to the project. He will make this happen, it's just a matter of a little more time until everything can come together. It's like Avatar 2,3,4,5 we have been waiting for YEARS, but it WILL be worth it! And so will the Amico 🙂

Thanks for re-posting this information Sir, it's a great read! It was also nice to hear from "a voice" that I haven't heard anything from before, which included; more background information about the console, as well as his hopes for the future of the console!

Also still think that you and your team are all consistently doing amazing work, in this never before seen environment that we are all being faced with, and I still can't wait to get my Founder's Edition console, and the Graphite Black that I am giving to my mid 70 year old In-Law's to replace their Wii that is on its last legs!

Best of luck at your Boston event Sir!

Looking forward to the 10/10 data share!

B

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:
This Sunday... 10/10.

The big REVEAL!

❤️

20211007_164550.thumb.jpg.14800292ea7f575b31bf3ec752d7ad1e.jpg

Awesome! Really looking forward to it! 👍😀

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:
This Sunday... 10/10.

The big REVEAL!

❤️

Starting from the top:  Buying, Buying, Buying, Buying, need to see more - buying, Buying, Buying, Buying. 

Love the Pic Tommy!!!!  My OCD is kicking in.. NOT IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER....  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, woobman said:

Using the movie analogy from my earlier post:

Think of the Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft  like some of the big movie houses out there.. Disney/Marvel/Fox/Sony/Universal Putting out Top tier.. No expense spared content.

So the rest of the post got mixed up with another post that never did... And it won't let me edit it out..

here is what it was going to be:

Think of Nintendo bla  bla bla bla - No expense spared content..

Think of Amico and the PlayDate as the independent filmmakers. Telling good stories on a much more modest budget.  Not all the wiz bang special effects of the big budget hits, but just as effective.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, N0mi said:

Thanks Tommy!

First thought that it might have been some kind of automatic process when an order is pending for a year or so, but even that wouldn't fit. Might get in touch with them to get some Information on what has happened.

Short update on this one: the reason why my order was cancelled is that the item is not / no longer available. Seems strange to me since there are other sites where you can still pre-order as Tommy mentioned before. 

Edited by N0mi
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:
This Sunday... 10/10.

The big REVEAL!

❤️

As much as I want to know everything today, make sure to keep some ponies in the barn for when they will do the system launch the most good. 

Edited by Starpaddler
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, N0mi said:

Short update on this one: the reason why my order was cancelled is that the item is not / no longer available. Seems strange to me since there are other sites where you can still pre-order as Tommy mentioned before. 

I find pre-orders seem to be handled by some automated back end process that has little/nothing to do with the actual online ordering systems or even an actual human. It is probably setup with some sort of default timer to clear them out of the system after a certain date. Considering they are still taking regular orders today on their website, this would seem to be very likely - basically left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, GrudgeQ said:

I find pre-orders seem to be handled by some automated back end process that has little/nothing to do with the actual online ordering systems or even an actual human. It is probably setup with some sort of default timer to clear them out of the system after a certain date. Considering they are still taking regular orders today on their website, this would seem to be very likely - basically left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Still frustrating none the less, as I’m sure N0mi feels they have lost their place in line. Hope you are able to get it corrected when you contact them, and recommend you insist that you be guaranteed your rightful place in line. 

good luck. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:
This Sunday... 10/10.

The big REVEAL!

❤️

SPOILERS (maybe...)

A little machine learning de-blur reads this as "Includes Collector Coin & 3D Card"? Not sure if that's the entire contents or not. I would assume this means a lenticular print of the game cover art (as teased with Biplanes) as the RFID card and a metal coin like Limited Run has done with a few bundles. I might be way off - we'll see on Sunday officially. Posting this prediction to check back then :) 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Jacob Livingston said:

SPOILERS (maybe...)

A little machine learning de-blur reads this as "Includes Collector Coin & 3D Card"? Not sure if that's the entire contents or not. I would assume this means a lenticular print of the game cover art (as teased with Biplanes) as the RFID card and a metal coin like Limited Run has done with a few bundles. I might be way off - we'll see on Sunday officially. Posting this prediction to check back then :) 

You are correct. John Riggs posted the full picture on Twitter, it says "Contains collector coin and 3D card".

58 minutes ago, SteveTheColecoDude said:

You are correct. John Riggs posted the full picture on Twitter, it says "Contains collector coin and 3D card".

Excellent - never surprised by the power of plugins powered by machine learning. The macro feature is crazy good. I guess we have our answer prior to Sunday then. That was a little sloppy. Did he show the full front of the box?

1 hour ago, SteveTheColecoDude said:

Is it a bitcoin? 😁

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Jacob Livingston said:

Excellent - never surprised by the power of plugins powered by machine learning. The macro feature is crazy good. I guess we have our answer prior to Sunday then. That was a little sloppy. Did he show the full front of the box?

Yep, a high quality picture including a little pile of games and the front of Finnegan Fox.