Jump to content
Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

This live stream tonight should be interesting for those interested...


 

 

What live stream?  It says video unavailable...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

What live stream?  It says video unavailable...

I watched the bulk of it until it got privated I came in a little late so I missed the ending as I ran it back to start at the beginning it was on Retrobros channel and was kind of an Amico after dark not sure why it went private after it ended 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:
Great write up and thoughts about Amico from WePC. A really great hardcore PC gaming website.

Lots of fantastic and fair commentary.

Definitely should give it a read!
 

Great article and objective without taking sides. Nice to see a journalist properly illustrating the niche of the console. Maybe if more people understood the history of Intellivision and its original parent company Mattel, historically a board game/toy company, it would help better articulate that this is not a console about competing with the big 3 but a family game night/casual console celebrating gaming's past while also charting an alternate course for its future.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:
Great write up and thoughts about Amico from WePC. A really great hardcore PC gaming website.

Lots of fantastic and fair commentary.

Definitely should give it a read!
 

The article is positive but there are a couple of things I would question:

 

1. The Intellivision was NOT looked at as a poor man's Atari because of the fact that it cost a lot more than the Atari when it was released.

2. This article was updated on 10/27/2021 and mentions the Amico is due to be released by the end of 2021.  I have not heard this to be confirmed so I would like to know where does he get his information from?  Does he know something we don't?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, atarifan88 said:

The article is positive but there are a couple of things I would question:

 

1. The Intellivision was NOT looked at as a poor man's Atari because of the fact that it cost a lot more than the Atari when it was released.

2. This article was updated on 10/27/2021 and mentions the Amico is due to be released by the end of 2021.  I have not heard this to be confirmed so I would like to know where does he get his information from?  Does he know something we don't?

Yeah, Intellivision was kind of the opposite of the poor man's Atari. It was more expensive, had better graphics, but a lot less games, so, a lot of people who had Atari's didn't get an Intellivision unless they were well-to-do or it was a first console.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pac in Blac said:

Great article and objective without taking sides. Nice to see a journalist properly illustrating the niche of the console. Maybe if more people understood the history of Intellivision and its original parent company Mattel, historically a board game/toy company, it would help better articulate that this is not a console about competing with the big 3 but a family game night/casual console celebrating gaming's past while also charting an alternate course for its future.

That article made fair points about the Amico potentially filling a niche with family focused pick-up-and-play gaming, especially for those who fondly remember the brand. 

 

Although, the author seems to have made a few factual errors. 

 

He mentioned that the physical games "quickly sold out" but they are still available, on the Intellivision store. Everyone makes mistakes but that just seems sloppy, especially when you could check in 10 seconds. 

 

He also goes into a fairly lengthy analysis of why people were wrong to criticize INTV for using a "$100 processor".  I believe the criticism focused on INTV mentioning that their processor's performance was similar to the processor from a $100 smartphone.  Obviously, a a cell phone has other components, so his focus on the "$100 processor" seems like a misunderstanding. 

 

The larger point: that the INTV is NOT competing on computational performance but rather on gameplay, along with unique controllers and a curated game library, is fair even if the processor cost $10.     

Edited by Tommy2D
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tommy2D said:

...

The larger point: that the INTV is NOT competing on computational performance but rather on gameplay, along with unique controllers and a curated game library, is fair even if the processor cost $10.    

Where is that price from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Where is that price from?

I was making a point that the cost of the Amico's processor / SOC is largely irrelevant, since they have repeatedly stated that they are not competing on processing power.  I said "even if" to stress that the Amico's value proposition could still exist despite a hypothetically low cost for the processor.  It was a rhetorical device, since the author focused on the cost of the processor in relation to the price of the system, including an analogy to the costs of television components. 

 

I don't know what the Amico's component costs are today, especially with the market disruptions. 

 

To avoid any confusion, here's another way of stating my last sentence: The larger point: that the INTV is NOT competing on computational performance but rather on gameplay, along with unique controllers and a curated game library, is fair regardless of the processor's cost. 

 

 

Edited by Tommy2D
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pac in Blac said:

Great article and objective without taking sides. Nice to see a journalist properly illustrating the niche of the console. Maybe if more people understood the history of Intellivision and its original parent company Mattel, historically a board game/toy company, it would help better articulate that this is not a console about competing with the big 3 but a family game night/casual console celebrating gaming's past while also charting an alternate course for its future.

It’s a bit funny, but when the Intellivision was released it was the most sophisticated home console on the market, which is a different direction than Amico has taken (and for good reason).
 

I like to think of the Amico philosophy as a different branch to gaming. On branch 1 you have PC, PS & Xbox, branch 2 is Nintendo’s console of the day and Amico soon to be the third, focusing on a different demographic and system capabilities, with their games going back to “simpler” retro styled 2d game screens where multiple players can interact in the same game space (without splitting the screen). 
 

Amico, Intellivision and/or Tommy aside, that’s what is driving my excitement.  The fact Intellivision is involved only makes it better, as well as having someone as passionate (and approachable) as Tommy running things. 
 

I do hope there will eventually be a space on the platform for more sophisticated single player games like Treasure of Tarmin, and other games that would benefit from an included manual (not necessarily complicated, but a bit more involved), with manuals either physically provided or downloadable digital versions that are formatted for printing and home binding. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Swami said:

Yeah, Intellivision was kind of the opposite of the poor man's Atari. It was more expensive, had better graphics, but a lot less games, so, a lot of people who had Atari's didn't get an Intellivision unless they were well-to-do or it was a first console.

I always looked at it as that Atari was the poor man’s Intellivision, my self. 

Edited by Starpaddler
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2021 at 8:53 AM, Crusader71 said:

Greetings from Italy!  Too bad for that big yellow sticker of the German classification, among other things it seems to cover the pegi classification previously printed on the box and then reproduced with another sticker on the side.  On the back I really like the descriptions of the games in the main European languages.  Can't wait to play it with our Founders Edition!

IMG_20211025_170730.jpg

IMG_20211025_153252921.jpg

You didn't try to shove those Amico cards into that old Intellivision did you? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way 😉

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Starpaddler said:

It’s a bit funny, but when the Intellivision was released it was the most sophisticated home console on the market, which is a different direction than Amico has taken (and for good reason).
 

I like to think of the Amico philosophy as a different branch to gaming. On branch 1 you have PC, PS & Xbox, branch 2 is Nintendo’s console of the day and Amico soon to be the third, focusing on a different demographic and system capabilities, with their games going back to “simpler” retro styled 2d game screens where multiple players can interact in the same game space (without splitting the screen). 
 

Amico, Intellivision and/or Tommy aside, that’s what is driving my excitement.  The fact Intellivision is involved only makes it better, as well as having someone as passionate (and approachable) as Tommy running things. 
 

I do hope there will eventually be a space on the platform for more sophisticated single player games like Treasure of Tarmin, and other games that would benefit from an included manual (not necessarily complicated, but a bit more involved), with manuals either physically provided or downloadable digital versions that are formatted for printing and home binding. 

It is interesting to look back at games that seemed simple but had surprising depth or unusual gameplay mechanics.  I never played "Stampede", as a kid, and I would have incorrectly assumed that it was essentially a basic shooter. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Starpaddler said:

I always looked at it as that Atari was the poor man’s Intellivision, my self. 

Them's fightin' words on a forum named Atari Age, LOL!

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Starpaddler said:

It’s a bit funny, but when the Intellivision was released it was the most sophisticated home console on the market, which is a different direction than Amico has taken (and for good reason).
 

I like to think of the Amico philosophy as a different branch to gaming. On branch 1 you have PC, PS & Xbox, branch 2 is Nintendo’s console of the day and Amico soon to be the third, focusing on a different demographic and system capabilities, with their games going back to “simpler” retro styled 2d game screens where multiple players can interact in the same game space (without splitting the screen). 
 

Amico, Intellivision and/or Tommy aside, that’s what is driving my excitement.  The fact Intellivision is involved only makes it better, as well as having someone as passionate (and approachable) as Tommy running things. 
 

I do hope there will eventually be a space on the platform for more sophisticated single player games like Treasure of Tarmin, and other games that would benefit from an included manual (not necessarily complicated, but a bit more involved), with manuals either physically provided or downloadable digital versions that are formatted for printing and home binding. 

Sorry to quote myself, but I failed to include a main point; namely that I feel Amico is the logical leap forward from the original Intellivision within it’s same branch.  Of course Amico could be designed significantly more powerful, but there are diminishing returns for its intended market. You do not need PS power if your intent is to ensure game development remains quicker turn, simpler design and generally within a more limited budget.  Why overbuild the system and need to charge customers more for it?  The Amicoverse is bound by different constraints from those of Xbox and PS.  Whereas Xbox and PS are always looking to pursue cutting edge for greater realism, Amico does not have the same iteration growth philosophy, so there is very little reason to overbuild the system in order to better future-proof its design. Whereas Xbox and PS next gen’s will bring (and push) tomorrow’s technology, future generations of Amico will likely center on expanded controls, peripherals, and other new ideas, but it won't require much in the way of significantly more power, as with more power comes the need for higher development-cost games to utilize it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Intellivision Master said:

image.png.dd40164e321eeaca03faf4e85587c2e1.png

“With lessor power comes greater ingenuity”

 

                           Starpaddler

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Starpaddler said:

Whereas Xbox and PS next gen’s will bring (and push) tomorrow’s technology, future generations of Amico will likely center on expanded controls, peripherals, and other new ideas, but it won't require much in the way of significantly more power, as with more power comes the need for higher development-cost games to utilize it.

That's a fair analysis, particularly the focus on the controls. 

 

New consoles interest me because it is such a challenge to offer something different.  I'd guess that most of us grew up in an era where each generation of console offered major changes in terms of graphics and sound.  I'm personally nostalgic for the era when consoles had signature sound profiles (SNES, Sega Genesis, PC Sound cards, etc.).  Those days are largely gone.  There might be some interesting differences, if you are really interested in hardware architecture (the PS3 comes to mind) but ultimately the graphics and sound are increasingly the same.  

 

Sony and Microsoft do a great job of giving you a gaming PC, in a small shell, at very low cost. In exchange, you agree to only use their marketplace. 

 

It does seem like one of the last avenues to deliver a unique experience is the control interface. I give INTV credit for making some interesting choices, on their controller.  It will be interesting to see how the games take advantage of its features.  I never owned one but I thought that the Microsoft Kinect was a really interesting concept.  I'm a little sad that it didn't succeed.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Swami said:

Them's fightin' words on a forum named Atari Age, LOL!

Yo beat me to it... I was simply going to say...

 

Duck!!!!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

Yo beat me to it... I was simply going to say...

 

Duck!!!!

Queue that video from the Simpsons: Bar Patron 1: "Hey you! Let's fight!". Bar Patron 2: "Them's fighting words!"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...