IGNORED

LTO Flash! Update: Firmware, jzintv, bug fixes and more!

intvsteve

OK, the firmware fix is pushed up to the master branch of the code. I did just find that there *is* something missing - at least in the main Windows version of the installer: jzintv.exe is missing. :/

You can point the UI to any other version of jzintv you may have on your system, though.

• Like 1

Even mysteriouser ... the files are *there* in the build output that should be sent to the installer creator.... so... hmm... digging...

EDIT: So... this is why I wrote this down in the README.txt file in the installer directory...

!!!! NOTE NOTE NOTE !!!!
------------------------
In order to get a complete installer that includes jzIntv, you must do
the following:
1. Ensure you have configured your system to build the jzIntv sources
2. Build the INTV.jzIntvUI component BEFORE building everything
3. THEN 'Rebuild Solution'

This is why having 3 years between releases causes trouble, and you assume 100% reliably reproducible builds... :eyeroll:

I have not attempted to load up my lto cart yet. A friend was saying I could use 7zip because it is free. Being I have not dealt with this before. Is there a difference or does it have to be the windows link that was listed?

I assume 7zip unzips plain old .zip just fine. The .zip file is just to make the setup.exe a little smaller.

Remember, after you download the .zip, right click and choose Properties... then Unblock:

post-35516-0-67732200-1551066957.png

You download the appropriate file for your operating system. Almost nobody still runs Windows xp, so the normal 'Windows' download file should be the one for you.

• Like 1

Even mysteriouser ... the files are *there* in the build output that should be sent to the installer creator.... so... hmm... digging...

EDIT: So... this is why I wrote this down in the README.txt file in the installer directory...

!!!! NOTE NOTE NOTE !!!!

------------------------

In order to get a complete installer that includes jzIntv, you must do

the following:

1. Ensure you have configured your system to build the jzIntv sources

2. Build the INTV.jzIntvUI component BEFORE building everything

3. THEN 'Rebuild Solution'

This is why having 3 years between releases causes trouble, and you assume 100% reliably reproducible builds... :eyeroll:

I've updated the "4484" installer so it should include jzintv now.

• Like 2

The firmware update is included in the new version of the UI. When you connect the cart, you will be prompted to update.

I'll talk to @intvnut about making the firmware as a separate download.

I can put the FW upgrade up on my webpage, or you can put it up on yours. The ZIP file I sent w/ the FW files is all you need. I see you posted it later in this thread.

I can put the FW upgrade up on my webpage, or you can put it up on yours. The ZIP file I sent w/ the FW files is all you need. I see you posted it later in this thread.

Oh ... yeah.... hope that was OK. ;) Since the FW udpate is "shipped" in every copy of LUI already, I forgot to follow up with you.

Which reminds me.... I still need to publish the fixed LUI. Testing on "clean" machines does not find the same bugs as testing on "dirty" ones, does it?

OK. I found the bug, and a simple workaround.

LUI *is* shipping the correct FW update. There's a bug in the code where it checks to see if it needs to extract the firmware file out to disk.

If you go to your Documents/LTO Flash/FirmwareUpdates folder, you will probably see the following files:

• LTO_Flash_FW.txt
  • LTO_Flash_FW.upg
  • error_db.yaml

The bug is this:

The UI will not replace those files with the ones that it ships as internal resources. So the new version isn't copied to your system.

So the easy workaround:

Rename those files.

Next time you start the UI and connect your cart, those files will reappear -- but they'll be the new ones.

I'll be working on a fix for this, but it'll take a little longer than just rebuilding the installer... Turns out it had the right firmware after all. Looking on my dev system, it appears that I was exploring a solution to this at some point, but never finished it.

Firmware updates have been so rare since release that this is only lightly tested code. During the hardware beta we were usually *manually* upgrading, downgrading, and re-initializing firmware, so those pathways got a lot more attention.

I was able to get the cart to update successfully on my Windows 10 x64 machine with the above instructions. Considering how long it takes to flash most ROMs, I was wondering if it had actually worked when it only took a couple of seconds to perform the update. Thankfully, it updated it as it should. ;)

I was able to get the cart to update successfully on my Windows 10 x64 machine with the above instructions. Considering how long it takes to flash most ROMs, I was wondering if it had actually worked when it only took a couple of seconds to perform the update. Thankfully, it updated it as it should. ;)

Hehe... Well, the firmware is pretty small. If you have a few hundred ROMs, there's a good bit of logic going on behind the scenes to keep the cart as lean as possible.

Glad it worked out!

It turns out that there is a separate subtle interaction between two different user-definable settings that can suppress the automatic prompt for a firmware update.

If you have the 'Reconcile device menu with local menu layout' setting turned on, AND you have the 'Prompt for firmware upgrade when device connects' turned on, even when you tidy up after my bug, you may still not get asked to update the firmware. So I should amend the instructions to also go into settings and turn off the 'Reconcile' option...

Yeah, the actual firmware file is about 120K, and really only about 52K of that is used. The rest is "room for future expansion." That includes everything—the filesystem, the bus protocol, the wire protocol, the menu software, etc. As Steve says, we put a lot of effort into keeping it lean.

The device itself actually stores two copies of the firmware—the factory firmware and the upgrade firmware. If the upgrade firmware ever crashes, it automatically disables it and switches back to the factory firmware. It also gives you a message telling you that it's done so. It also saves a crash dump that you can send to me to diagnose what happened. I don't think I've needed a crash dump since the beta test phase, thankfully. :-)

I actually use the GUI's firmware update facility when developing LTO Flash's firmware. I like that it goes so quickly. :D

And disturb that awesome in-car gaming setup?

attachicon.gifchevette_intellivision.jpg

Dude, you need one of nurmix's flashback controller adapters. It's kind of cruel to have your passengers use that controller.

Also, if you put in Word Fun, Donkey Kong, Venture, et. al. be sure you have the Intellivision II compatibility mode set, else the car won't start.

• Like 3

Here's video of someone actually playing Intellivision in a car!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBo2YKIHatI

That's what happens when you using the wrong controller.

Reminds me of the kids standing in front of arcade machines and thinking they're playing, but in fact it's the attract mode showing game scenes. Ahhh, sweet memories. ;)

I was going to say... no wonder he sucks at it, he's using an Atari controller on an Intellivision!

The update is now "official" -- build 1.0.0.4499 is available here.

Details of what's been going on the last couple years in the source are on the page.

Of more recent interest: you should now be prompted to install the new firmware when you connect your cart (depending on your user settings). There is also a "Check for firmware update" menu item you can click when your cart is connected. It checks what the UI ships with vs. what's on your cart and prompts if there's an update, as appropriate.

• Like 3

The update is now "official" -- build 1.0.0.4499 is available here.

Details of what's been going on the last couple years in the source are on the page.

Of more recent interest: you should now be prompted to install the new firmware when you connect your cart (depending on your user settings). There is also a "Check for firmware update" menu item you can click when your cart is connected. It checks what the UI ships with vs. what's on your cart and prompts if there's an update, as appropriate.

So, I get the prompt and it redirects me to the intvfunhouse.com page for downloading the software. I can then download the whole program rather than a firmware update file. Am I supposed to reinstall the entire program again? I thought it would just be a firmware update.

Thanks