IGNORED

Unreleased DICE Sega Genesis/Mega drive game HARDCORE

TheCoolDave

One of many sites with this info...

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/cancelled-dice-hardcore-sega-1203145906/

Hardcore a long-canceled run-and-gun game from DICE, will finally see the light of day with a release on the Mega SG, Analogue announced on Friday.

Hardcore has gone unreleased for 23 years following its cancellation in 1994. The game’s development was “99% complete,” according to the company. The only known source code was stored on a single, dead hard drive which Analogue was able to recover.

When released the ONLY way you will be able to play this game is picking up Analogue's Mega SG console (going to retail for $190), or they will release it for the PS4 and Vita.

This game looks like a load of fun..I need to play this.

Here is a video/preview of gameplay

Thought it was cool and wanted to share.

Edited by TheCoolDave
  • Like 2

Boo I wanna play it on a real Genesis and not have to buy anything else to play it.

I agree with this. They have the rom, so I'm not sure why they aren't going for a cart release or something to that effect so that people don't have to buy the Mega SG in order to play it. I'm sure it is due to piracy reasons as if a cart is offered, it would get ripped and the rom would be out there. Double edged sword no matter how you look at it.

I agree with this. They have the rom, so I'm not sure why they aren't going for a cart release or something to that effect so that people don't have to buy the Mega SG in order to play it. I'm sure it is due to piracy reasons as if a cart is offered, it would get ripped and the rom would be out there. Double edged sword no matter how you look at it.

Did anybody ever release Super Turrican Director's Cut as a cart or sell the ROM?

Edited by derFunkenstein

Did anybody ever release Super Turrican Director's Cut as a cart or sell the ROM?

No...but then most would argue that the directors cut is just the prototype with level select that has apparently been out there for some time. At least that was the consensus over at Sega-16 when this very game was brought up.

I hope a rom is released for this game. I could always dump it on my Megadrive and play it that way... Any one find a rom for it ?

Yes, I know there is no discussion of roms on this site but, this is a unreleased, unfinished and canceled game... maybe this falls different ?

Yes, I would love to play it via rom or a cart really want to play it on the original system...

Makes me really wonder why it was never released/finished. These types of games were very popular back in those days and odds are it would of done fairly well.

Edited by TheCoolDave
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hope a rom is released for this game. I could always dump it on my Megadrive and play it that way... Any one find a rom for it ?

Yes, I know there is no discussion of roms on this site but, this is a unreleased, unfinished and canceled game... maybe this falls different ?

Yes, I would love to play it via rom or a cart really want to play it on the original system...

Makes me really wonder why it was never released/finished. These types of games were very popular back in those days and odds are it would of done fairly well.

It had started life on the Amiga, reached around 50% completed and moved to Megadrive with a Mega CD version to follow.

Mega CD version to have extra stages but work did not get far.

I would assume the developers felt the MegaDrive market at the point game was 99% complete, was declining too rapidly to justify releasing it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like Strictly Limited just announced release date of April 28 for PS4 and Nintendo Switch. I was hoping the collectors edition (or some variant) would've had the game on Genesis cart, but it only looks like the game on modern console, poster, soundtrack CDs.

I am really baffled as to why it is not being released physical for the console it was originally designed.

-Allen

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Strictly Limited just announced release date of April 28 for PS4 and Nintendo Switch. I was hoping the collectors edition (or some variant) would've had the game on Genesis cart, but it only looks like the game on modern console, poster, soundtrack CDs.

I am really baffled as to why it is not being released physical for the console it was originally designed.

-Allen

I also don't get it at all. Maybe they have some sort of agreement with Analogue, since it's baked into the Mega Sg firmware. Licensing/bundling an emulator and selling the game on Steam seems like a great way to do this, since many people who enjoy original hardware have Everdrives. Tanglewood's release is a perfect example.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This did not review as well as expected in RetroGamer magazine.

They made it sound a rather frustrating experience to actually play.

Before i drop any money on it, anyone here recommend it?.

It's super hard, but I like it okay, I suppose. I've taken some unfair deaths and some unfair hits, just the expected lack of polish from a game that was mostly developed but scrapped before publication.

Graphically it looks nice but kind of plain. No hardware tricks like Castlevania or anything like that.

It's an interesting bit of Genesis / Mega Drive history. It's not why I bought a Mega Sg, and I'm not sure I'd buy it on another platform, either.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 3

I've no concerns about the visuals, i just want an enjoyable game .

My 360 HDD was littered with likes of I Am Alive, Mark Of The Ninja, SVC:Monster World, etc.

The PS3 had Sine Mora..

Digital titles i bought, but abandoned after a mere few hours.

I do not want to repeat past mistakes on the PS4.

It's sounding like something ideal for PS+

This is getting a physical release on PS4 and Switch from Strictly Limited Games with original 90's soundtrack and a brand new soundtrack too. Their website states "we intend to finish the game the way it was meant to be played!". It sounds like, even though the Genesis version was 99% finished, they are polishing the game to 100% completion. It would be so good if they ported the fully polished version to the MD/Genesis too and made it available on cart. I've signed up for their newsletter and if there's any way of contacting them, I'm going to beg that they do so. Anyone else who wants this should do so too.

• Like 1