IGNORED

Unreleased DICE Sega Genesis/Mega drive game HARDCORE

TheCoolDave

10 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

In a recent email they said they aren't getting the carts till October 23rd. So it looks like in November we will have them.

Recent Email? I've not received anything since I placed my order other than my order confirmation when I first ordered it. So curious whom is receiving these emails?

• 1 month later...

To make matters more complicated, the PlayAsia orders for the game released and published by Columbus Circle have gotten shipped and are in the hands of those buyers already. Evidenced from FB posts I've seen of people showing their carts and gameplay that is already up on the web.

In fact, the rom has also been dumped either off the carts or the MegaSG and is floating out there but I'm happy to wait for my physical cart.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

I got an email the other day that they are behind on orders because they still dont have their warehouse set up yet. The games are stored in an apartment right now and there isnt enough room to hire more people. Atleast they were honest about it.

Yes I received the same email earlier last week I believe it was. However, not long after I got that email, I heard from a few members at Sega-16 that they had gotten shipping notifications for their copies. So perhaps they aren't far out now from getting into our hands officially.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 2:35 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

To make matters more complicated, the PlayAsia orders for the game released and published by Columbus Circle have gotten shipped and are in the hands of those buyers already. Evidenced from FB posts I've seen of people showing their carts and gameplay that is already up on the web.

In fact, the rom has also been dumped either off the carts or the MegaSG and is floating out there but I'm happy to wait for my physical cart.

I purchased the Japanese Mega Drive release by Columbus Circle after missing out on the Genesis one from Strictly Limited.  SLG not limiting the number of copies one could purchase was completely ridiculous and left a bad taste in my mouth.  This practice only benefits scalpers.

I don't believe anyone has cracked the Mega SG and extracted that version but the Japanese release was indeed dumped and there are already Chinese bootleg cartridges being sold on eBay using the Japanese NTSC version of the ROM image.  I'm sure the SLG versions will also be circulating in short order once people get their hands on the physical cartridges.

On 11/24/2019 at 10:08 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Yes I received the same email earlier last week I believe it was. However, not long after I got that email, I heard from a few members at Sega-16 that they had gotten shipping notifications for their copies. So perhaps they aren't far out now from getting into our hands officially.

Has anyone received theirs yet?  I see a few people on Facebook are reporting that they have.  One person complained about the overall lack of quality and another reports a damaged case.  I've been watching eBay and I'm surprised that none have turned up for sale yet.  I'm sure there'll be no shortage of people flipping them.

Mine is apparently coming via DHL and the tracking still shows that DHL doesn't have in their possession yet, so I've no idea when I will be getting it. Having said that...*ahem*; I am playing my "digital backup" of the cart while I wait for it to arrive. :lol:

Given how long they've taken to get these cartridges out the door, SLG should've just given the digital ROM to anyone who purchased the game in the first place.  They know it's going to get out eventually anyway and they aren't making any more cartridges, so what do they care?

On 9/4/2019 at 11:04 AM, rasch_C said:

On another note, it looks like playasia is releasing the Japanese MD cart? (https://www.play-asia.com/ultracore/13/70cuzj)

On 9/13/2019 at 4:43 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

This is supposedly region locked as well. At least that is what was discussed over at Sega-16 so even if you could order the JPN version, you would need your system region modded to try and play it on a US Genesis console.

Just thought I would add that unlike 16-Bit Rhythm Land or their reissue of Gley Lancer, the Japanese release of Ultracore by Columbus Circle is not region-locked despite rumors to the contrary.  If anyone was considering importing that version, the game will work on a Genesis 3 or presumably any other North American console using a Game Genie or other passthrough device.

Again it was discussed that the columbus circle release was to be region locked. But as you stated, that cart has been dumped and it does indeed work on anything. Also.. I have 16-bit Rhythm Land and it is NOT region locked as it works just fine on all of my consoles. Well, the cartridge is a JPN MD shell so you have to have a modded cartridge slot or use a 32x like I do, but the game will work on an unmodded console from what I've tested.

My guess is that the disclaimer on the original pre-order pages stated that it was only for Japanese Megadrives and I believe that is what started the thinking that Ultracore would be region locked.

On 12/5/2019 at 7:48 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I have 16-bit Rhythm Land and it is NOT region locked as it works just fine on all of my consoles. Well, the cartridge is a JPN MD shell so you have to have a modded cartridge slot or use a 32x like I do, but the game will work on an unmodded console from what I've tested.

Weird.  My copy didn't seem to work on my Genesis 3 when I tried it, which is why I assumed it was region locked even though I thought it seemed strange that it would be.  I haven't tried it on any other North American consoles but now I guess I'll have to.

Mine arrived from Strictly Limited Games today.  I never saw mention of it being for Japanese consoles on the SRG site, or were you referring to play-asia?

It works great on my Nomad.  It didn't work on my 2018 Genesis Flashback, but I didn't expect it to.  I haven't tried it on the 2017 Flashback, (That one has a much better dumper for playing your own carts, but the 2018 has far better emulation).  Doesn't really matter though -- I just put the rom on my SD card for the Flashback to play and it works fine.

16 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

I never saw mention of it being for Japanese consoles on the SRG site, or were you referring to play-asia?

We were referring strictly to the Japanese release by Columbus Circle, which is listed on the PlayAsia site and elsewhere as being compatible with Asian Mega Drive consoles only but actually will work on an NTSC Genesis.

The NTSC release by Strictly Limited was intended for use with both North American and Japanese consoles, hence the notch on the side of the cartridge to accommodate the cartridge lock on the Japanese MD.

On 12/5/2019 at 10:10 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Mine is apparently coming via DHL and the tracking still shows that DHL doesn't have in their possession yet, so I've no idea when I will be getting it. Having said that...*ahem*; I am playing my "digital backup" of the cart while I wait for it to arrive. :lol:

How are you playing your back up? I found the back up as a .bin and I think it needs to be converted to .md?

16 hours ago, chicgamer said:

Play-Asia currently has the Columbus Circle version for $49.99 (supposedly on sale from their normal price of $89.99), and they currently have free shipping on games to the US, if anyone is interested.

That's a good deal considering that the original list price was ¥5,980 ($55) plus shipping, with most merchants selling it for much more.  It figures they'd lower the price now after I already have the game, but I'll probably grab another copy for trade since I was going to place an order with them anyway.  I was planning to grab the Japanese release of Battle Kid but it looks like it's on backorder now.

• 3 years later...

With the last few days of being able to get some gaming time in, before i move in with the missus and her daughter (she hates all things gaming), thought I would give this a proper try, it's been sat on my PS4 HDD for months. 

Mixed thoughts really. 

It lacks the sheer  spectacle of Gunstar Heroes or feel of Contra: Hard Corps, doesn't have the initial grip factor the way Turrican did on the C64 or Turrican II on the Amiga. 

In fact the gameplay feels a little too overly familiar. 

The small, flying foes are bloody annoying as well. 

Looks like a case of more of a curio, than an actual title i would spend serious time on, if I had the time itself.