IGNORED

Arcade/MAME HSC 2018 Round 15: Mr. Do / Popeye

Leto27

Arcade/MAME HSC 2018

Round 1: Time Pilot '84

Round 2: Toki / Moon Patrol

Round 3: Sunset Riders ( 2 player version)

Round 4: Golden Axe/Hippodrome

Round 5: Gravitar/Xybots

Round 6: Time Tunnel / Super Pac- Man

Round 7: Ghould’n Ghosts / Mystic Riders

Round 8: Into the sea

Round 9: Prehistoric Isle in 1930 / Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

Round 10 Tetris Plus / Puyo Puyo

Round 11: X-Men / Captain Commando

Round 12: UN squadron / Galaga 88

Round 13: Bad Dudes vs Dragonninja / Mario Bros

Round 14: Nibbler / Ninja Baseball Bat Man

Round 15: Mr Do / Popeye / Blacktiger

Round 16: Taito Arcade Round

Round 17: SHMUPS 2

Round 18: Polish your armor 2

Standings after: : UN squadron / Galaga 88

Round 15

Mr. Do

post-62867-0-22842300-1551026360.png

mrdo.zip

Mr. Do by Universal, 1982

MAME ROMset: mrdo
Dip Switches: Default: (Special: Easy / Extra: Easy /Lives: 3) )

Number of credits: 1 credits

Remember to play with the recommended settings, and do not use cheats or any kind of enhancements to take advantage

Round ends March 10th @ midnight MDT

Mr. Do

Scoring will be as follows:

10 Points for 1st

9 for 2nd

8 for 3rd and so forth

Round 15

Popeye ( Revision D )

post-62867-0-39910200-1551026376.png

popeye.zip

Popeye by nintendo, 1982

MAME ROMset: popeye
Dip Switches: Default (Lives: 3 /Difficulty: Easy / Bonus life: 40000 )

Number of credits: 1 credits

Remember to play with the recommended settings, and do not use cheats or any kind of enhancements to take advantage

Round ends March 10th @ midnight MDT

Popeye

Scoring will be as follows:

10 Points for 1st

9 for 2nd

8 for 3rd and so forth

• Like 1

These 2 are a huge nostalgia blast. First time I've played them in, like, 3 decades :) Even back then didn't couldn't afford to play much but I do rememeber watching others at it a lot, especially Popeye.

Mr.Do! is pure genius, wish I could spend more time learning its intricacies.

• Like 1

There must be something I'm just not "getting" about Mr. Do. I've played it here and there over the years and just can't get anything going at all. If I took the average of 3 of my scores today, it would maybe be 10% higher than the average of my first ever 3 scores. The enemies' ability to move so much faster than Mr. Do even in the earliest stages and the inability to quickly turn back and throw the ball at a closely pursuing enemy makes it very maddening. I love almost all classic arcade games, and I know this one has lots of enthusiastic fans, but I guess Mr. Do is just one of those games that doesn't click with me for some reason. Oddly, I really enjoy Mr. Do!'s Castle and Do! Run Run.

Mr. Do! - 42,000

post-27528-0-05939900-1551456962_thumb.jpeg

There must be something I'm just not "getting" about Mr. Do. I've played it here and there over the years and just can't get anything going at all. If I took the average of 3 of my scores today, it would maybe be 10% higher than the average of my first ever 3 scores. The enemies' ability to move so much faster than Mr. Do even in the earliest stages and the inability to quickly turn back and throw the ball at a closely pursuing enemy makes it very maddening. I love almost all classic arcade games, and I know this one has lots of enthusiastic fans, but I guess Mr. Do is just one of those games that doesn't click with me for some reason. Oddly, I really enjoy Mr. Do!'s Castle and Do! Run Run.

Mr. Do! - 42,000

attachicon.gifFF212749-3F30-415C-AD4E-3046C56E8CCC.jpeg

Mr. Do! is definitely tricky. It takes a while to get a feel for it. Though it's in my top 5 favorite arcade games, I'm not that good at it. My problem is that I take too many risks going after the letters for the extra lives and I end up dying before I can even spell out EXTRA.

• Like 1

Mr. Do! is definitely tricky. It takes a while to get a feel for it. Though it's in my top 5 favorite arcade games, I'm not that good at it. My problem is that I take too many risks going after the letters for the extra lives and I end up dying before I can even spell out EXTRA.

Those Universal games always make you work really hard for extra lives. I like it because it reminds me of pinball, but I also hate it because it's so hard to do.

• Like 1

Those Universal games always make you work really hard for extra lives. I like it because it reminds me of pinball, but I also hate it because it's so hard to do.

I like it because it increases the gameplay dynamics and just makes the game more interesting by giving the player more strategic choices. My favorite aspect of the game is the bonus food/muncher mechanic. Most games would just allow you to just freeze the enemies for a few seconds, which is very helpful, but this game also adds the munchers along with a letter monster. The difficulty of dealing with the munchers depends on how you dug your tunnels. And if you're good you can time the kill of the letter monster to turn the munchers into apples in the right spot to kill the remaining red monsters. Whenever I'm successful in doing that it's usually by accident, but it's still very satisfying.

The munchers and extra life mechanic are what pushes this game above Dig Dug in my eyes.

Edited by Ramses

Popeye ~20K

Mr.Do: 66,300

Mr.Do is equally infuriating and amazing = supremely addictive. I'm amazed by the amount of things that can, and will, go wrong in this game. It's almost a roguelike in this respect :) Various manners of death plus unpredictable enemy patters keep things fresh. Wish there was more time in this round.

And yeah, this season made it painfully aware for me that joystick is absolutely crucial for some of these games. My DS4 just does not cut it. If I get stuck on the stairs on Popeye one more time (or fail to turn and blast a chasing monster in Do!) I might just lose it.

• Like 2