IGNORED

Serial Interface Adapter SIA-IIIR for non-RS232 videodisc players

TuzenTCA

Hello All,

I am writing on the forum for the first time in over 10 years! Glad to see everything is chugging right along.

I was gifted an 1040STe with a first gen SC1224 color monitor. At this point I don't have any software but did verify the floppy drive is working with an old audit disc from the factory where the computer lived it's life. Now I only need some 700kb SD floppies!!

By now you may be wondering what the title is in reference to:

https://www.atarimagazines.com/startv4n6/laserdisc.html

Are you a LaserDisc owner (or thinking of becoming one) who would like to take advantage of the interactive capabilities offered by "Level 3" CAV LaserDiscs? Now, with the assistance of an ST, a device called the Serial Interface Adapter for non-RS232 LaserDisc players (SIA-IIIR) and the LaserDisc Remote Control program on your START disk, you can easily learn how to develop controller and indexing programs for your favorite interactive LaserDiscs.

Add a new capability to your ST: control a Pioneer LaserDisc player from your keyboard! With Michael Riley's (dare we say it?) pioneering program and a serial-interface adapter, you can access a wide range of interactive videodiscs--or use the basics learned here to create your own Space Ace game. The LaserDisc Remote Control was written in GFA BASIC 2.0 and requires a color monitor, a compatible LaserDisc player and an interface.

Does anyone have any experience with the above? I have a CLD-1010 which is mentioned in the article as a device controllable by the ST computer.

The reason I am seeking assistance in this regard is the 1040STe does not have a RS232 'serial' port, thus methodology was developed to utilize the modem serial ports and a specialty cable that converts to 3.5mm jacks. I wonder if anyone has seen one of these cables or if it can be found/created again?

If I am not able to locate/create a cable then my next course of action will be to replace my ST (for this application) as well as my laserdisc player. As I understand it, my MegaSTE and ST2 have a RS232 'serial' port and I can purchase an inexpensive industrial laserdisc player which also includes RS232 'serial' ports.

• Like 3