IGNORED

Thrusty Thing

CyranoJ

18 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

I've been busy playing with the SaintSD and fixing up some last minute things with the upcoming releases, however it is good to be back on task with Gravitic Mines.

Ander has not stopped while I've been on pause, and here we have another new world to fill with dastardly traps and other things for you.

Damn, that looks incredible!

Edited by Saturn
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Albert said:

If you're doing puffs for other movement, puffs for rotating about the ship's axis would seem appropriate.  :)

..Al

Its on a 360 gyro and the pilots run in the opposite direction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Andrew Rosa said:

Accurate. 

@CyranoJ That reminds me, are these sprites 'final' or place holders? Forgive if it's been mentioned already. 

Now that you mentioned Flashback - this game could have been sooo much more if the they had "just" reworked the graphics using the Jaguars nice color capabilities. 

• Like 1

Perhaps. After having played the Genesis, SEGA CD, SNES and 3DO versions, Jaguar still looks the best of them all. Resolution's better and colors are a pinch more vibrant. Jaguar makes the rest look muted and soft. I mean, if it could have looked better - something a kin to 3DO's remaster of Another World - I'd be all for it. If I have any complaints with the Jaguar port it's the odd bit of slowdown in certain parts (SNES had a similar issue) and music's been shuffled about (again, much like SNES). Otherwise, it's the version I play the most. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Rosa said:

Perhaps. After having played the Genesis, SEGA CD, SNES and 3DO versions, Jaguar still looks the best of them all. Resolution's better and colors are a pinch more vibrant. Jaguar makes the rest look muted and soft. I mean, if it could have looked better - something a kin to 3DO's remaster of Another World - I'd be all for it. If I have any complaints with the Jaguar port it's the odd bit of slowdown in certain parts (SNES had a similar issue) and music's been shuffled about (again, much like SNES). Otherwise, it's the version I play the most. 

Im not a big fan of 3DOs remaster graphics, but the Jaguar version and the 20th anniversary remasters for modern formats look GREAT. Something similar could have been done to Flashback maybe. The background image in the Jungle level looks like only 3 colors (3 shades of blue), the artwork is well done, within the limits of Genesis color palette, but they could have bumped the detail a LOT for the Jaguar. ? But now back to Thrusty. ;-) 

Edited by agradeneu
added stuff
  • Like 1

I forget where I read this (possibly HardcoreGaming 101) but it's been said the creator of Another World didn't care for 3DO remaster either, though I'm not sure how accurate that is. I like 'em. Wouldn't want it to be my only option, but still.

As for Thrusty, it's lookin' damn good. Very cool to watch how the project's evolved since that first test video. Wish more developers did this.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Andrew Rosa said:

it's been said the creator of Another World didn't care for 3DO remaster either

Here's what he says about it on the official site:

La version 3D0
Toujours développée par Interplay, elle bénéficie d'arrière-plans bitmap très détaillés.
Esthétiquement ce n'est pas une réussite, parce que justement les fonds sont trop travaillés par rapport aux animations qui elles sont en polygones et donc en aplats.
La musique a été entièrement refaite, exit celle de Jean-François, je n'ai pas vraiment eu mon mot à dire, ni l'énergie de me battre car à ce moment là j'étais dans le cœur des ténèbres, un développement qui je l'ignorais encore allait durer six ans...

Which means:

The 3D0 version

Developed by Interplay as well, it had very detailed bitmap backgrounds.

From an aesthetic point of view it is not a success, precisely because the backgrounds look too polished when compared to animations which are made of flat-color polygons.

The music was entirely remade, they discarded Jean-François' one, I had no say on the matter, and no energy to fight back since I was working on Heart of Darkness at that time, something I didn't knew would last for six more years...

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, VintageGamer74 said:

Cyrano, your stuff is amazing! The graphics are amazing but the gameplay looks even better. Really dig your work. Can't wait to play the games you are currently working on! ?

Thank you :)

It wouldn't look so good if I had to draw it!