IGNORED

Thrusty Thing

CyranoJ

Looks like the game is progressing well!

By the way, for the first day after this topic was posted I thought it was titled Thursty Thing, which made me wonder 1) why you were spelling "thirsty" that way and 2) what being thirsty had to do with space.

Yeah ... reading's hard. ;)

• Like 2

Day 10 - And we have explosions and a few other tweaks.

We've gone from nothing to a fully playable game prototype in 10 days, very happy with that and I hope it inspires people to try using RAPTOR API/rB+ to make their ideas come to life quickly.

https://youtu.be/Swhqe-c-hTU

Couldn't find a 4 channel MOD of the Thrust time, but did find a Sanxion version that the U235SE can mostly play :)

We will most likely take this private now to work on it further. Thanks for following this!

• Like 16

That looks incredible. I haven't been able to post lately for lack of time but have been following and am blown away by the pace.

Can't wait to see the end result but this has been a fun ride. Going to look into setting up the environment on a new system soon then start with

the barrage of noob questions and wait for the awesome replies that are sure to follow :lol:

Thanks for sharing this :)

• Like 4

May I ask a technical question ?

I assume the collision detection for the foreground is all handled by a single call to the raptor api and the foreground image is X x Y pixels with the non collission area being a certain colour that is then treated as transparrent.

How do you assign the transparrent colour ? or is it always black for example. ?

Looking good though.

May I ask a technical question ?

I assume the collision detection for the foreground is all handled by a single call to the raptor api and the foreground image is X x Y pixels with the non collission area being a certain colour that is then treated as transparrent.

How do you assign the transparrent colour ? or is it always black for example. ?

Looking good though.

No problem, happy to discuss :)

The background that you see is not what the 'game engine' sees at all...

post-11520-0-21874100-1552381649.png

The engine runs off the collision map (right), the display image (left) is positioned in an identical place in the map as the player. Colour index 0 is safe, index 1 is a wall, and index 2 is a landing pad. I actually perform pixel checking on the pixels under the current rotation of the ship against the background, so you can 'twist' past certain dangers. The reason I don't use RAPTOR for player-vs-wall is because RAPTOR uses a collision box, and this needs pixel accuracy.

All the other objects (turrets, bullets, grav mods, missiles) are using RAPTOR collision boxes as per the examples.

When an object is transparent, indexed images (1,2,4,8 bpp) index 0 is always transparent. In 16 bit modes a value of $0000 R(5)B(5)G(6) is transparent. It is impossible to display true black in a transparent 16bit object, so use a very dark blue or grey ;)

Hope that helps.

• Like 9

One more update, because it is kind of cool.

Multiple maps, of different dimensions... wheeeee!

Maximum sizes can be:

• 1536 x 600
  • 512 x 1800
  • 4096 x 225
  • 1024 x 900

If you 'do the math' you'll see that all gets you to the same number: 921,600 ;)

https://youtu.be/evDyBUZasyc

If anyone is wondering about the name...

"This is the Kobayashi Maru, nineteen periods out of Altair VI. We have struck a GRAVITIC MINE."

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ended up finding/buying a Gravitar arcade last week. Been searching for several years. I sold one around 2001 and immediately regretted selling. Been searching on & off ever since.

This game hits home for me, beyond excited!!!

I had one over a decade ago and I also regret selling it. I do have three other Atari color vectors at the moment, Tempest, Major Havoc and Black Widow.

• Like 1

I had one over a decade ago and I also regret selling it. I do have three other Atari color vectors at the moment, Tempest, Major Havoc and Black Widow.

I got a nice original Asteroids with a "Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Lunar Lander chip" installed. Tempest is a big want, but prices are too high. Just traded a Centipede/Millipede/Missile Command for a GORF. The trackball was too small and felt weird so it had to go. Plus GORF is in my top 5 classic arcades.

Gravitic Mines fits nicely into my arcade lineup :)

Edited by Machine
  • Like 1