IGNORED

Compact Computer 40 Plus

fabrice montupet

Yes, this is one I forgot I had.

I picked it up from a guy who thought he could solder and he couldn't. Just ask Fabrice!

I had planned on fixing it myself, but never got around to it and actually had forgotten I even had it. Didn't find it again until I started cleaning things out. Since I got it, my eyesight has not improved and I knew I wasn't up to the task of bringing this back to life. Fabrice did an outstanding job on it as you can tell from the logs.

Curtis

• Like 1

Thank you Curtis,

Interesting information for the CC-40 Plus owners:
If you look at this Curtis's picture:

power+.jpg

And a picture of the CC-40 Plus I got:

cc40plusr4.jpg

You'll notice a similarity: All the two mini brown PCB are broken at the same place. There is a explanation: this is due to a TI (or TDK) design error. When the keyboard/LCD board is installed in the top side of the chassis, small little plastic tubes must be placed on each brace, the goal is to put the motherboad to a precise distance from the keyboard/LCD board is (about 1cm). But the mini PCB has a problem of dimension. One of the little tubes is in contact to the mini PCB when the motherboard is installed, so this tube has good chance to damage the mini PCB. If you have the same model of prototype, be carefull during the assembly. The best way to prevent this problem is to install a smaller tube or not install one at this place.
About this mini PCB, I think that its goal is not to generate the cassette signal but to supply all the needed tensions to the motherboard.

Interesting historical note.

The CD initials in the pictures, if I remember correctly, are for C. D. Wilson, the project manager for the CC-40+ project. I met him a few years back. Quite an interesting fellow. He told me the problem with the wafertape was just a few days form being fixed when the CC-40 project got canceled along with the 4A. Something about spin up timings. Too many years ago...

• Like 1

Interesting historical note too! :)

At a time when everything in computing market was going very fast, each month, each week counted. It's sad that Texas Instruments killed its projects for the CC40. It is even more incomprehensible that the firm replaced it with the TI-74 marketed in 1986. At the end of 1983, the CC-40 Plus were finalized, its peripherals and accessories were numerous, even the Wafertape was near to be operational. TI kill all this stuff to replace it with a very good pocket calculator, but launched too late.
I asked myself why there was "CD" inscriptions on most of the CC-40 Plus. I don't imagine that C. D. Wilson wrote it during the developpment of the compact computer. If there are logical initials, it would be the ones of the developpers on their own material. I conclude that C. D. Wilson collected all the CC-40 he could for him when TI decided to destroy all the stuff. If it's the case, thanks to him.

• Like 2

During my tests the voltage peaks at the output of the LM358 were not sufficient to light the two LEDs, everything actually matches the fact that they were placed in the circuit to operate as a conventional diode and clipping the cassette OUT signal. The forward voltage of a 1N4148 is not sufficient.

During my tests the voltage peaks at the output of the LM358 were not sufficient to light the two LEDs, everything actually matches the fact that they were placed in the circuit to operate as a conventional diode and clipping the cassette OUT signal. The forward voltage of a 1N4148 is not sufficient.

would this change if you use the AC-9201 for powering the unit? The Wafertape drive had a similar issue, where stability if ever could only be reached via non-battery mode.

My CC-40+ has no issue, it works fine, all its components have been tested OK (CPU, 18Kb RAM, ROM, LCD, ... ) I have also tested the 40+ with the Hexbus Printer Plotter and RS232C expansions , I saved and loaded a program on a tape recorder and I have done the same on a floppy disk with the disk controller I made. All is OK :)

In any cases, the AC-9201 is the power supply is usualy use with my CC-40 units.

I just wondered why there are two leds on the PCB, and I think having found their use, they are used as classic diodes and not as lights.

Edited by fabrice montupet
  • Like 2