IGNORED

Jaguar Rgb issues

MissDeLaRocha

Hi just wondered if anyone could help.. Recently upgraded to rgb cables to my Jag on RF the colours are spot on but wanted better sound and video so got a set of RGB cables from retrogamingcables and when I boot it what should be White is Yellow and there's a muddy yellowing over screen in the games too. I've also tried an rgb cable from retro computer shack and I'm having the same issue.

It is an interesting issue, do you have another RGB source you can try to see if it is the inputs to the display are at fault?

I may be wrong but the fact that the colours are correct via RF suggests that the Jaguar is generating the correct colours otherwise they would be off there as well. Zerosquare has already indicated the area to investigate, personally I would be looking at the 75R resistors, ferrite beads & as Zerosquare suggested a broken track in that area because if anything prior to that was off I would expect the colours in RF should be off as well.

White should be 100% R, G & B either therefore either all the colour voltage levels are off and everything looks a darker/grubby shade of what it should or one colour is off, does either R, G or B look off more than the others? Personally I would suspect Red if it is looking slightly yellow.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 2/27/2019 at 1:00 PM, Zerosquare said:

I had missed the part about colors being fine on RF. This narrows the problem down further more, to resistor R43 and ferrite L14 (and the tracks that are connected to them).

I have a similar problem where I'm getting only the green signal from the av port but everything works perfectly fine with RF, would these parts be the likely culprits for me too?

7 minutes ago, Zerosquare said:

For red, the parts to check are resistor R29 and ferrite L15.

If you can, also check that your TV/monitor/converter works correctly with another RGB source.

I checked continuity from u7 to the end of the red line and it seemed to check out, would continuity not help in this situation? I know for a fact the monitor work because I use it for all rgb consoles I have. It's a direct connection. I'm quite certain the issue is internal. 

Make sure you are selecting to correct package size for the resistors, you appear to have a listed a mix of 0603, 0805 & 1206. I do not know if those are the correct sizes for the parts you are replacing or not.

If mouser does not give the dimensions of each resistor you should be able to find the package sizes on line then compare them to those on the PCB, the difference between 1206 & 805 is quiet marked but between 805 & 603 is much harder to tell and you may need to measure them with a micrometer to correctly identify which size they are. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to fix whatever it was I broke. Doesn't seem like replacing those components had any effect to the original problem though. I'm at a loss here. What else could it possibly be? There is a resistor before the transistor that I intended to replace but somehow I didn't get the resistors in my order. Could those be the culprets? (R30, R37, and R46)

r0GAlC4siDDA9rZe3tsMMM1xQg2JeeZLR20JYZm1hHiKrxk3UiaaJrkOYEMZw1b2r39UPcIQ2qLxqvn1cXfLL9kj0hi3EuvOuGPz0DODCW3tUybHDOQ3H13DFu8lqSVNDVU_ZomiaZP37hJ_cIR8aaViWfsXCZZ0G6AeyniJcWEZnnzZZpF-YdCLIJrLqZrwiHrSNFYEZvf0kQv-pNHR3K_ZxqnGdTgCFIwOjv39KFn3kSxZz7CjaB3DLd5ZeoTh2ZjAxCb9CEcF7NQtWGtyykZUjSfnQhHpU6m5BzgETq-E4fC9ubB7DijO_bjvpJApR16Z0QDnwV0VkioF5OL7hccHDyDDHRGo1bn7KGaBeB65ngj1_HDtRYC3np3lU4Dz5FYS6Z4dm8ttK29sTZr45AP1Z9ulBxLFfyBA5Jqqe4jNz_XjEnTjUoBYliUA2FQsPjyxrumxE4b6YS5y_FpY9qpynqwV1Tx5Cqyvhp8VRglBzKhRmURnRwOUJkuryMMpGctAfrFbYjHRxL8WHlkKEL62-hmkK16JkI7X9Q5si4xwvT8krGUbU0kvzQkwYDdFvJ9yUN69XlPZ9HGStZauvlvVxIvsN1Lxum1xjnJzn7UNL4HytBRlgHRx_xPS8p89TTUwQW64luzo6IyRz8q54rmFomkouefoQBsfVwTqfPZiZa6CBYGMgl2W3IRhYGeMIOeESHB8480r9Diev_fYC3Z4=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0

20 minutes ago, Zerosquare said:

Are you sure the monitor is actually set up for RGB mode, not YPbPr mode?

Also check that your cables are connected properly.

Quite sure it's set to rgb, that was the first thing I checked. Been fidgeting with the cable all the while over here. It's the same issue, completely unchanged. Turning off ext sync seems to make the pvm reconstruct a sync from just the green signal, but it's a very broken sync. 

tj_Q_YGO8fdN-bLPzxVH5npAxOwT4VZTNB2EVRykZuqylg9SFxt_8WcooNdDd329p-16_yCJ7m0sLZg2ncjU57aEm5wulafvaBxy3eV1pBBmkFXML1YBaFGFjxbc-Ib0Rvn1fDVbL-ycT-xPcZlSUU3DVx0PplDAucAamKLCHGGf0o-i9fJMKB98tlcV7YkhqyHSRK0QDTmPLy_ZzCUhnj5L-WQR95l4sIP4mQDLYrNnnaUFhgcFbTSh5zDZU7BteNdURdV0DBI2IRzGclSao6SSWelADnFsYwdGDspmuxiIgwxn4W9sELsfOQUfN9RqA2OYsliTG0uEQaluGVbDl72IT8BwD2Pa0LAtLsnlNdwIiVFutmV1zNFvq8xA8IuZjdAWK1uUVDdjLd3BAddji9Lk7qz2dZCUr15GMRxEIVpFRNHm4pmhfGKO-PENaVfA_gAYzI9qayxn0nBojeZY1TKfavvSNvIzUo5o7w0XCYaQajybbC7AakYAtYwk_Baf5he9DXDbg7pDskr5Rx-x_6zOwSiZ-B0X3n3ky8Io5cjXoMnw5gFn7js8cpl0YiPgxApQhEYKBaT8KTqV-E6nGVJnQjIA98GOQJPSqzQStXWOwqbu4Qaf5nlMjCJs7M6kBMYUDfvTKkqZaca99S54m6cH-69X5UJ4clTn8liblfzj3ErNVtyu0DstQLYW758Z-wlL5A8mMW1ZLShA34dxklxG=w1882-h937-no?authuser=0

• 7 months later...

Not sure what you mean by a bypass but the colours come out of Tom as 8 bit RGB, go strait into the RDAC which converts to analogue RGB, which is then amplified by a Darlington transistor (see schematic in post 8 above).

From there, unless there is something missing from the schematic, it goes to both the AV port on the rear of the Jag (Via an indictor) and U3 where it is converted to composite and S-video.