IGNORED

How Do I Fix a PS2 Controller?

So I have a DualShock 2 and the X button doesn't register anymore, I was wondering if there's any way to fix it. I know what most people are going to say: "Dude, throw it away and go get another one because DualShock controllers are really cheap at this point." Thing is, where I live, the only PS2 controllers you can get are cheap Chinese knockoffs that look just like the real thing, but absolutely suck. So if you can share some videos or articles where they explain a solution to this problem I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

It may be as simple as having a dirty contact pad under the X button.

You just have to disassemble it and clean the rubber/pad with a q-tip and some alcohol/contact cleaner/windex (it doesn't really matter that much which solvent you choose)

Youtube has various videos of people taking apart a PS2 controller I bet. Search for cleaning a PS2 controller and start from there.

I actually have 3 DS2 controllers that I need to refurbish. Never throw away game stuff that can be salvaged IMO!

• Like 1

My issues are with an analig stick that is ever so slightly off centre...and I have had zero luck trying to taking it apart to swap it out with another stick. I've heard from others that working on PS2 pads are a real pain. I couldn't even get the controller open, I was scared of cracking something in the process.

I went to my parent's house today and brought a bag full of broken controllers (my GF was thrilled!) I'm going to take them apart one by one and see if I can salvage any of them. The PS2's the one I want to use the most. I was going to start playing FFVII the other day, but couldn't because the receiver on my Logitech Wireless Action Controller is dead. I'll post any updates here.

Thing is, where I live, the only PS2 controllers you can get are cheap Chinese knockoffs that look just like the real thing, but absolutely suck.

What area do you live in where eBay isn't available?

But seriously, I would just recommend cleaning the contacts as well. I have several PS2 controllers with similar issues with different buttons. I've been lazy about cleaning them because I still have several other working controllers, so I just use those.

I would recommend cleaning the contacts as well. I have several PS2 controllers with similar issues with different buttons. I've been lazy about cleaning them because I still have several other working controllers, so I just use those.

But you say that where you live, you can only get knock off PS2 controllers.

What area do you live in where eBay isn't available?

But seriously, I would just recommend cleaning the contacts as well. I have several PS2 controllers with similar issues with different buttons. I've been lazy about cleaning them because I still have several other working controllers, so I just use those.

I would recommend cleaning the contacts as well. I have several PS2 controllers with similar issues with different buttons. I've been lazy about cleaning them because I still have several other working controllers, so I just use those.

But you say that where you live, you can only get knock off PS2 controllers.

I live in Argentina and to be clear, I do have access to eBay and I can purchase things off of that site. Thing is, every time I buy something from another country I have to fill out some papers stating how much money I spent, I need to pay a fee for the local mail to send what I bought to my house and usually the website that I need to visit to do that almost never works. So it's too much of a hassle for me. I opened the controller and cleaned to contacts, but it didn't work. As soon as I started playing a game it seems like a button is being held on a specific direction, so I don't know what the problem is. Now I'm using one of those cheap knockoff controllers that just sucks...