IGNORED

Help me run MAME.

atari2600land

So I want to test a homebrew Channel F game. I download MAME, which apparently has merged with MESS. I go to the folder that has MAME in it. I make a bat file that says "mame64 channelf hhhh" and it gives me a list of games instead of my game I want to try. So I replaced hhhh with "mame64 channelf slotmchn", and it gives me a stupid message:

post-9475-0-50267800-1551462993.png

I have these two files. Where do I put them? Why can't I try my own homebrew game? Why does MAME have to be so stupid and hard?!

Edited by atari2600land

The message says it's looking in a folder "channelf" or an archive file in the roms path e.g. channelf.zip.

Under mame there should be a folder called ROMs. Create a new folder there called "channelf" and put your system rom files there. Cartridge rom files can be anywhere.

MAME does have a UI so you can launch mame and select Channel F through the UI. Once the emulator starts press the tab key and select File Manager to browse to a cartridge rom file.

The command line would look like this.

mame64.exe channelf -cart filenamepath

Edited by mr_me

The latest Mame core in Retroarch is kept up to date with the most recent builds of Mame, it's the one without a year in the name, the ones with years in the name are snapshots of older builds.

Also getting non arcade stuff to work in the Mame core in Retroarch is a royal pain in the ass.

To get non arcade stuff working in Mame via command line you can use this reference page for what you need: https://pastebin.com/18W3EbD0

You need the system in the first column and the media type from column in brackets. For example with the Channel F you would want the command line parameter

channelf -cart
  • Like 1

The libretro core documentation is badly out of date. Does either the mess core or the newer mame core support libretro Netplay? Netplay, allowing two people to play together over the internet, would make dealing with Retroarch worthwhile.

Edited by mr_me

Yeah it's just arcade stuff, netplay for consoles is a system by system basis, it just depends on the core.

I have done some netplay through Retroarch in the past and it can be hit and miss and can be laggy and problematic because of setup. You and whoever you are playing with will need to have the same core and rom and sometimes the same build of a core and even then it can be flakey. You will have better luck with something like Parsec https://parsecgaming.com/but it also has its own quirks.

Edited by Lordmonkus