IGNORED

Classic Gaming [Discord Server] - UPDATE

I'm taking some time today to update this forum community on the status of a Discord server that was created a year ago as of yesterday (03/01). Without people from AtariAge I don't think the server would be what it is today. If you are unaware of the Classic Gaming Discord server we are a group that started off as the unofficial Analogue Community server when the Super Nt was on the verge of coming out last year. Over time as we grew it was decided the server name had to be changed and what we have now is a server which is home to several different (Yet related) communities.

Analogue

Kevtris hangs around, so do a few Analogue employees (Though they are not tagged)

SD2SNES

Ikari runs this corner of our server. He posts firmware updates for the SD2SNES and speaks to people on a near daily basis.

MiSTer FPGA

Lots of smart people doing cool things I myself don’t pay any attention to (Not because I don't care... just so many updates / projects I can't keep up).

----------

We also have a variety of other more generic channels for people to use.

--------

As of writing this we have 1500+ members (We try to prune the bots and so forth as much as we possibly can) with an average growth rate of 3 - 5 users daily (Though we expect faster growth for the next few months due to the newly released SD2SNES PRO and soon to be shipped Mega Sg).

If you haven’t popped in already I invite you to do so, otherwise I wish you all the best and will post another update next year.

Hope the forum mods don’t mind me sharing the Discord link.
https://discord.gg/EX57xnF

Best regards,

Kevin Lee

Edited by KevinDL
  • Like 4

It appears Discord is the new "forum", even the Terraonion guys (NeoSD) have one up now .... I did try yours a little bit a year ago or so, I have to confess I am too old for it, I must have only spent less than a week on it.

But good job for sure!!!!

Yeah Discord seems to be taking over everything community related. Forums will always have a purpose... but as you can see from my post count I don't spend a lot of time on here or any forum. I just figured for the servers birthday I may as well update the forum that got it started.

Edited by KevinDL

Happy Birthday to the server! I remember being one of the very first members invited to it. Now it's a pretty thriving server that's consistently one that I frequent every single day, even if it's only just lurking.

To think that the server itself had an unlikely administrator that just decided to make an Analogue fan server on a whim, haha.

Nice Kevin. I've been on there most the time you've had the server live and you're quite right on all that update news and more word should be spread.

Discord is fantatsic, it's the 20teens version of old IRC chat (miRC etc) from the 90s and earlier 00s. It's a great live service to talk to people with, share images and files, whatever. Very easy to navigate and get around, highly useful. The grown of the classic gaming discord has been incredible and being able to talk with various individuals including those mentioned up top is a real great asset to both help and get help with things.

Nice Kevin. I've been on there most the time you've had the server live and you're quite right on all that update news and more word should be spread.

Discord is fantatsic, it's the 20teens version of old IRC chat (miRC etc) from the 90s and earlier 00s. It's a great live service to talk to people with, share images and files, whatever. Very easy to navigate and get around, highly useful. The grown of the classic gaming discord has been incredible and being able to talk with various individuals including those mentioned up top is a real great asset to both help and get help with things.

As far as I am aware we are the largest retro gaming related Discord server. The type of growth I myself would be keen on would be more groups joining the server to call it their home on Discord. Having both the SD2SNES and Analogue community together did wonders for bringing people with similar interests together... and the amount of collaboration going on in the MiSTer group is fun to follow. If we had other retro projects that deserve their own section on the server I think everyone would be ecstatic about having more people join what has become a fairly technically minded server. We've somehow managed to create a balance between those working on retro projects we love and the regular users without either side feeling annoyed and / or left out. There are no doubt more "professional" servers for developers, but we bridge both worlds nicely... just don't ask me how it happened.

All I've ever done is act as a server-wide babysitter. It's the people on the server that have made it into what it is.

Edited by KevinDL

That you have I've talked with you before a few times on there, you do a fine hand on yet off type approach that works.

I would imagine if you could merge a few more niche things it couldn't hurt. PlanetVB has their own thing but only of the 10 sub-chats it has 2 ever see use. I don't see CAG wanting a merge but that would be huge, but there is one called RetroGaming that probably 80% of it rots but the few other spaces in it get active traffic that would I think make a prime candidate if they'd even consider such a move.

I think it's the interest, the friendly approach as you don't have your usual forum and facebook style group chat trolls and a-holes as it's just not tolerated by the regulars, and also as you said you've got the sd2snes and analogue/kevtris thing going too.

Discord looks like a mess, if you ask me, I'll stick to forums.

You do you, nothing wrong with sticking to forums. We've done the best we can to keep things organized, it took a long time + some trial & error to reach where we are at.

I like it and sometimes check it, but to be honest I have trouble keeping up with the discussions from where I left off. Any tips for us old guys?

I do prefer forums for that reason :)

Partake in the discussion happening at the moment and not the one you may have started or taken part in priorly but has been washed away by the scrollbar. You can also bring up the topic again. Once you stop trying to keep up things become much easier, hell I have no idea what is going on 90% of the time. If I am needed they ping me.

Edited by KevinDL

It appears Discord is the new "forum", even the Terraonion guys (NeoSD) have one up now .... I did try yours a little bit a year ago or so, I have to confess I am too old for it, I must have only spent less than a week on it.

But good job for sure!!!!

My sentiments exactly! Discord seems more powerful and flexible than even the best forums, but it's new and scary to an old fart like me. I'm trying but it's hard for me to get into a flow with it for some reason. I'll keep trying.

I'm glad I was in on the mid 90s into the 00s ground floor of irc/efnet/mIRC usage. Discord was easy to jump into, but I can see how it would be intimidating. The really large difference other than the easier interface is the back history that goes back for days, weeks perhaps. Irc is just then and now, you get off, cut off, disconnected, it's gone, it's just the present. So it's like IRC plus. There's no forum about it.

IRC is still the king.. I don't see it ever going away. Majority of online users tend to be unaware, or maybe intimidated, or confused by it. which is fine by me. It's probably not for their type anyway. :)

Discord is just a form of IRC on the web, but I tend to not like it as much since your comments stick around forever and are searchable. Screw that.. at least in IRC you'd have to keep logs and look for stuff yourself. :lol:

Forums are a completely different animal.

Is Discord where modmyclassics has channels? Actually I think it is not half bad. I can go in.. post a question and come back later and it will tell me if someone replied ( as long as they used my names ). It's like a more advanced IRC!

Outside of that, though, I still prefer standard message forums.

IRC is still the king.. I don't see it ever going away. Majority of online users tend to be unaware, or maybe intimidated, or confused by it. which is fine by me. It's probably not for their type anyway. :)

Discord is just a form of IRC on the web, but I tend to not like it as much since your comments stick around forever and are searchable. Screw that.. at least in IRC you'd have to keep logs and look for stuff yourself. :lol:

Forums are a completely different animal.

Oh I know you know we hung out that far back on efnet. :D I just don't get the scary value with discord as it's a friendlier look for an IRC style conversation style. It's not that IRC is bad either, but unless like discord you know where to look it's just jibberish text and mysterious file transfers even within something safe and easy to use like miRC.

I strongly suggest and implore anyone who wanting to not post like mad but have a nice conversation live to check it out. It's not just text, you can deal in other things like file transfers audio, video, pictures, nutsy amount of emoji stuff, even like this board you can 'like this' per line with such things too. Also if you 'mention' someone when posting a comment it won't go missed as they'll get a notification about it so unlike old IRC you don't have to be there to get it.

• Like 1

Yeah, IRC always struck me as a "you must be present to win" kind of thing ...I am not at a computer all the time so it's hard to have a presence, unlike forum threads where you can catch up later. Discord seems like a happy medium between the two, except more centralized (like twitter or Facebook), which I'm unsure whether I like or not.

• Like 1

Yeah, IRC always struck me as a "you must be present to win" kind of thing ...I am not at a computer all the time so it's hard to have a presence, unlike forum threads where you can catch up later. Discord seems like a happy medium between the two, except more centralized (like twitter or Facebook), which I'm unsure whether I like or not.

That would be a very accurate description. You have the capability of history (to what point I don't know how far back) a forum has, but it has all the capabilities of IRC chat without the immediate or die detriment of conversation loss. Discord is like irc, forum chat, social media nicer parts, and even FTP like file transfer-ish sharing all rolled into one web based site or mobile/desktop app. It's very handy.

I wish I understood their business model better. Seems like they are reliant on investor money, some freemium upgrades, and a game store that is still unproven. Like Reddit, it seems to be the de facto stop for certain kinds of things, but I wonder how certain their future is.

Add to that a monthly paid subscription service for users and server owners.

I'm giving Discord a try. My experience so far has been good, although I have spent most of it on the MiSTer channel. Several developers are indeed there and elsewhere so it's interesting when they are active. Voice chat is there, but as I understand has been rarely used at this particular server. A very IRC like experience but less BS and more mature behavior from what I have seen. I'm sure experiences will vary depending upon the server/group/channel you visit. I encourage those interested to follow the invite link from this thread. It leads directly to the right spot. The client runs in a browser, with optional downloadable versions for various platforms. New account setup wasn't so bad, email verification etc. Hey, there's a phone app. I hope it catches on and becomes the next thing.

• Like 1