IGNORED

Classic Gaming [Discord Server] - UPDATE

I'm giving Discord a try. My experience so far has been good, although I have spent most of it on the MiSTer channel. Several developers are indeed there and elsewhere so it's interesting when they are active. Voice chat is there, but as I understand has been rarely used at this particular server. A very IRC like experience but less BS and more mature behavior from what I have seen. I'm sure experiences will vary depending upon the server/group/channel you visit. I encourage those interested to follow the invite link from this thread. It leads directly to the right spot. The client runs in a browser, with optional downloadable versions for various platforms. New account setup wasn't so bad, email verification etc. Hey, there's a phone app. I hope it catches on and becomes the next thing.

1. Download the desktop app, the web version isn't worth suffering with.

2. You are correct, the voice channels are not used often. We keep them there in the off chance people need them or for mod / community meetings.

3. If you get the phone app make sure you block the app from giving you notifications... they can add up and get annoying if you are in several servers.

------------------

I find every channel is the same when it comes to maturity, though some like the MiSTer channel(s) are a bit more technical in discussion due to the active developers.

The best part of the server in my opinion is the fact you can have both casual and serious development discussions. Want to talk with people developing for the MiSTer / SD2SNES project and possibly help them? You can do that. Want to talk about gaming in general? You can do that too.

Edited by KevinDL

• 2 months later...

Considering the long note you left about what was going on can't say I blame you for taking many steps and changes.

Every time I think the server is good to go for a long while something pops up to cause changes. Be it security updates or a new project joining the server (RetroArch being the latest) Classic Gaming I feel will forever be in a state of evolution.

Edited by KevinDL

That I would not be surprised by. I've been on there for a time and it's a solid place, but as you keep growing it adding stuff that's either popular or controversial at times like retroarch you'll end up baiting even more trolls and morons to cause problems. In a way it's aggravating but welcome because it means you're on the radar and not another fart in the wind on discord (or any other service.)