IGNORED

Impossamole and Head Over Heels Jaguar Official Thread

PikoInteractive

Out of curiousity, are the Piko Jag boxes the same size as the original Jag boxes? I bought some Jag box protectors from Amazon, and the boxes don't fit inside the plastic.

They fit in my box protectors even withe the shrinkwrap still on. There are two different box protectors, one is smaller and too tight in my opinion. I have bought both, and now only get the bigger size one. It isnt really bigger, they fit nice, but the others seem too tight.

I like the ones from ebay seller: retroprotection

I got mine a few days ago and just got around to playing them tonight. Absolutely love Head Over Heels. I really didn't know what to expect from it, even after watching the videos. Really addictive. Impossamole up next! The boxes and especially the manuals look fantastic Pico Interactive. (no customs charges either - WONDERFUL! ;-)

Impossamole is quite good. Hard as hell, mostly having the jump button as up on the d-pad trips me up all the time. I've only play the first two levels, and have yet to beat either lol. I like how I can take my time and try to figure out the route to take.

Yeah, I grew up on the NES. I have virtually no recollection of the 7800, and a vague recollection of the SMS. There was a light sixer 2600 that either belonged to my grandparents or an uncle (I can't remember which) that periodically made its rounds around the family. That was pretty much my only experience with Atari, atleast until recently.

Yeah, I grew up on the NES. I have virtually no recollection of the 7800, and a vague recollection of the SMS. There was a light sixer 2600 that either belonged to my grandparents or an uncle (I can't remember which) that periodically made its rounds around the family. That was pretty much my only experience with Atari, atleast until recently.

My mom bought an Atari "VCS" in 1977, and played it during her pregnancy from 1977-1978 when I finally graced this world with my presence.

I LOVED the Atari 2600 growing up, and played the *shit* out of it.

We got an Atari 5200 a few years later and I was so excited. We opened it on Christmas and the joysticks didn't work, couldn't play the pack-in PACMAN... so we returned it, and my mom never bought a replacement.

2 years later, I bought an NES (1987?) with money that I had saved by mowing lawns and doing odd-jobs around the neighborhood. I remember it like it was yesterday, $178 and change for the Action Set at Toys R' Us. Only $80 of that was in 1s, 5s, and 10s. The rest of it was all in change. I brought bags of change and they shut down the register so they could deal with me, and the lady was pissed... hahah.

• Like 2

I remember when the 2600 would end up at my house, the system just seemed weird from what I was used to with the NES. But I always took advantage of playing ET, PacMan, and the others. The one game that seemed weirdest was Freeway. I never stuck with it much. I've noticed that since I've gotten older, the retro consoles just seem to hold my interest more than modern games. Too many Call of Duty crap games nowadays. Games like Juno First and Star Versus that centers more on core gameplay are what I prefer anymore.

• Like 2

They don't need the number pad so why would they need an overlay?

Head Over Heels does. It uses them for pick up/drop, drop whilst jumping, saving and loading. Its one of the best things about this Jag conversion, I always found the originals cumbersome as they needed 5 buttons.

Head Over Heels does. It uses them for pick up/drop, drop whilst jumping, saving and loading. Its one of the best things about this Jag conversion, I always found the originals cumbersome as they needed 5 buttons.

Duh. You'd think I'd have remembered that :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Give pboland a shout about making overlays, as he's the overlay master! Here's a thread about Jaguar overlays that he has made, and it's my understanding he's always willing to make more for new games, etc. He typically charges $2.00 per overlay.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/267811-possible-jaguar-overlaysfor-what-games/page-1

I remember when the 2600 would end up at my house, the system just seemed weird from what I was used to with the NES. But I always took advantage of playing ET, PacMan, and the others. The one game that seemed weirdest was Freeway. I never stuck with it much. I've noticed that since I've gotten older, the retro consoles just seem to hold my interest more than modern games. Too many Call of Duty crap games nowadays. Games like Juno First and Star Versus that centers more on core gameplay are what I prefer anymore.

Really, the Atari 2600 (originally just the VCS) was a system that was a full decade older than the Nintendo 8-bit / NES. Games themselves hadn't really advanced so significantly on consoles during that decade since people didn't really expect that much from a home video game system. So when the NES came out with Mario Brothers... Duck Hunt, Operation Wolf... those early games... it was really just something else. The Atari 5200 had better graphics and sound, but wasn't really revolutionary by any means. The Atari 7800 had substantially better graphics, sound, and power. It was able to actually player COMPUTER games... like Ace of Aces, Arctic Fox, Choplifter, Mean-18 Golf, Winter Games... just a couple off the top of my head. These were games that around that time, only PCs could play.

Here's where I go to theory and opinion. As far as I understand, the 7800 is actually a bit more advanced than the NES in several respects (not by much), but the NES was rolled out with excellent marketing and, while it did include some PC ports, the games were uniquely different than anything that had previously existed on the Atari / Coleco / Intellivision types of systems, and that's what really made it succeed.

I never had a 7800 growing up, I bought one much after the fact... but it was a great system. It had been released for all of something like 2 weeks, and then cancelled, and then after the NES was rolled out, Atari re-released it again... it became an epic failure... worse than the Jaguar. It's all due to bad timing and no follow-through.

Had Atari maintained selling the system... I doubt it would have "won" over the NES... but it would have at least been more successful (in market penetration and diversity of games). Software for the NES was just so unique and significantly more advanced (in game mechanics) than what had previously existed... RPGs, etc... and that's what really made it succeed.

I never had the 7800 either. I really don't even remember it back in the day. But I agree, the marketing department dropped the ball with it. I don't think they should've shelved it. If they had the time to release more games and build up a more solid library, they probably would've made more of an impact when competing with Nintendo and Sega. Just the other day, I added the Master System to my collection with a nice selection of carts and cards to play. If not for Nintendo's marketing and the licensing restrictions, both Atari and Sega easily would've closed the gap. The color palettes alone with the SMS and 7800 make the NES look like a toy.

post-47952-0-43036300-1560221536.jpg

Edited by matthew954

I never had the 7800 either. I really don't even remember it back in the day. But I agree, the marketing department dropped the ball with it. I don't think they should've shelved it. If they had the time to release more games and build up a more solid library, they probably would've made more of an impact when competing with Nintendo and Sega. Just the other day, I added the Master System to my collection with a nice selection of carts and cards to play. If not for Nintendo's marketing and the licensing restrictions, both Atari and Sega easily would've closed the gap. The color palettes alone with the SMS and 7800 make the NES look like a toy.

Wow! If I'm basing this purely on the numbers game... the 7800 is far and away superior to the NES. Even the Master System is pretty awesome. It's unbelievable. I guess it really was all about the marketing and the quality of the games themselves. It seems like some of the earliest games for the 7800 were really quality games... like Ace of Aces, etc... would have been huge if Atari hadn't dropped the ball... :(

Yeah on paper atleast. It just too bad that due to Nintendo's restrictive licensing policies, we couldn't see either the 7800 or the SMS truly shine. If Ace of Aces or Phantasy Star were any indication, Nintendo could've had some serious competition.

Sigh... just thinking about how many times I've thought to myself... "If Atari had just done... *this*, things would have been different."

They always had good product, but seemed to be their own worst enemy.

I grew up with the 2600 in the early 80s... and when the whole soccer team would go to Pizza Hut after a game, we'd all talk about Atari. When I'd go to camp at the YMCA, we talked about the Atari. When the 5200 came out, we were all like... how awesome is this??? And then we were all let down, because... joysticks didn't work well.

Then the Atari 7800 came out, seemed promising, and we yet again, all started talking about it. Then they pulled it, and we didn't even notice when they re-released that because we were all interested in the NES.

Then Nintendo came out with the Gameboy, and that was HUGE. But then... what's this, Atari has the Lynx? And that was all the rage... then... it just seemed to disappear. And then the Jaguar... it was super expensive, but my age group had mostly already moved on... PR and Marketing screw-up after screw-up.

I watched the documentary Hard to Master: The Fate of Atari. It seemed that the one person who had the best idea of what they should be doing was Nolan Bushnell himself. Ray Kassar was more interested in pushing as many 2600 consoles as he could. Bushnell saw that they needed to begin working on what he called the VCS 2. Had he not sold the company to Warner, the VCS 2 likely would've released and the market may not have become too much more saturated than it already was.