IGNORED

RetroHQ Lynx SD Menu Loader version 2

Igor

Are you stuck on the screen that shows all of the controls or the screen that says "Loading ROM list..."?

You can put your ROMs wherever you like.

Please share the directory listing for your SD card, that may help in working out what's wrong.

No, I was stuck on this screen after PLEASE WAIT, that says retrohq.co.uk. So I only left like two roms in a folder ROMS, and I got into that folder finally. Then I tried to load Centipede and it's stuck on the LOADING ROM.... screen.

SD card has:

_preview

menu

ROMS

menu.bin

menu2stg.bin

README.md

Hmm I wonder if you have the very first version of the new menu, can you download the latest from the link in the first post on this thread, install that and try again. If it doesn't work send me a message and we'll see what we can work out. I know some models of the Lynx had issues with some power management that the new loader does.

No, I was stuck on this screen after PLEASE WAIT, that says retrohq.co.uk. So I only left like two roms in a folder ROMS, and I got into that folder finally. Then I tried to load Centipede and it's stuck on the LOADING ROM.... screen.

SD card has:

_preview

menu

ROMS

menu.bin

menu2stg.bin

README.md

Have you tried copying everything off the card to a PC, then reformat the card and copy everything back? It's no that unusual to get problems like that with the Everdrives from time to time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you want games that can save on the SD cart then the game needs to be coded that way. You also need to provide a correctly sized save file on the cart. The Lynx can not create files, re-size files or re-name them.

I was planning to make a separate directory for saves.

/saves/flappy.sav

/saves/awreiko.sav

/saves/shaken.sav

All the sav-files are 128 byte long at startup and the content is full of 0xff as a real eeprom.

Patching old games may be difficult. But at least this opens up a new option for making new games. You could easily code a game to use eeprom or SD if they are available.

Have you had a chance to update the roms to save on the SD yet?

• 4 months later...

First of all, thanks for your work! Great menu loader. Especially having the preview picture on a separate button.

I have a small enhancement request, if it's technically feasible.

Would it be possible to sort the game list by long name, if romlist.txt is used?

• Like 1

Technically that's doable, though at the moment I don't have much time to look into it. There'll be a new loader soon, so I might get back to some enhancements on this one when I'm working on that.

If you could log an issue here so I can track it - https://github.com/ikromin/atarilynx/tree/master/lynxsd-menu

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, Tempest said:

Out of curiosity was any more work ever done on this?

Don't think so.  Igor contacted me about the issues I was having, but it was still performing horribly for me.  Then he stopped responding for over a year, and sent me a message which I didn't respond to.  The new stock menu from RetroHQ I feel is superior to this one anyway, works very swiftly.

1 hour ago, Greg2600 said:

Don't think so.  Igor contacted me about the issues I was having, but it was still performing horribly for me.  Then he stopped responding for over a year, and sent me a message which I didn't respond to.  The new stock menu from RetroHQ I feel is superior to this one anyway, works very swiftly.

New stock menu?  Where I can that?  I'm having many of the same issues you were.  The menu only seems to want to come up a third of the time.

28 minutes ago, Tempest said:

New stock menu?  Where I can that?  I'm having many of the same issues you were.  The menu only seems to want to come up a third of the time.

Oops, well I upgraded to his newer LynxGD, and it's part of the firmware on that.  Unfortunately I think you're kind of stuck with the older one. 

16 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

No further work on it, Lynx SD is legacy now so not planning to support it. I've had quite a few things happening in real-life so been a bit busy to respond to everyone, sorry!

The LynxGD is a marvel and its standard menu is amazing (except for the fonts @SainT).

The source code is available for anyone to hack though, I've had it released for as long as the menu has been available - https://github.com/ikromin/atarilynx/tree/master/retrohq_lynxsd/lynxsd-menu

• 2 years later...