IGNORED

ABBUC Software Contest 2019

freetz

Well, my 10% chance happened and I've managed to submit at least somewhat playable game :)

Small beateamup game for two players. Last man standing wins.

Find your player 2 and have fun kicking each others ass :)

Was planned to be full sized game, but this is what you get just for taste :)

More to come.

Cheers!

Vladimir

warriors_1.png.12706e5819ff9ceede296df27d25b44b.png

warriors_2.png.7777f93b899e37664db448db4e1b18bb.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

So the deadline has passed and we have 10 entries this year, including two utilities:

Florian Dingler - Full House Poker
BAHA Software - Train 3
Frantisek Houra - multi 10
James Wilkinson, Daniel Wilkinson & Bob Follett - Dungeon Hunt II
Kamil Trzaska - 601F
Holger Bommer - ATFILE 1.1
Jason Kendall - Block On Legs: First Steps
e474 - ATR Maker Deluxe
Martin Simecek, Michal Radecki, Piotr Radecki, Chris Bradburne, John Blythe - Castle Defender
Vladimir Jankovic - Warriors

Due to the amount of entries which sometimes include more than one disk, the preparation of the contest disks will take some time, so please be patient. We will inform everybody in the forums once you can download it from the members section of the ASC website.

Cheers,

F.

• Like 12

I'm so glad there are so mahy entries, I had given up on my game about 3 months ago due to technical difficulties, time, and my collaborator being unavailable to do the graphics, but with a few days to go I thought I'd make a crazy effort to support the contest and see if I could pull something together. I had a couple of ideas and somehow I think I have a good game in "Block on Legs: First Steps"

but

I need someone/people to do the graphics (playfield charset and PMGs) for a future release/version :)

• Like 2

Well, the waiting is already over, Andreas was not only quick but also managed to get all 10 entries on four disk images, thanks a lot!

As in previous years, you can download the disk images from the contest website

http://asc.abbuc.de/cgi-bin/index_en.cgi

by following the link at the bottom. Please read the remarks about the password (again if necessary ;) ), this is not your ABBUC or AtariAge password but the one for the contest which you have already used in previous years if you downloaded the images or participated in the online voting.

And now, enjoy and have fun :)!

• Like 4

Have you read the explanation on the website regarding the username (which is your membership number) and your password (which is initially created based on the postal address as found on the address sticker when you receive the magazine)? If you have trouble understanding what's on the website, please let me know which part you didn't understand (I'm not a native speaker, so that may be a reason for ambiguities).

And of course the credentials are different form the general ABBUC forum - everyone can become a user on the latter, but we have no means of verifying whether a forum member is also an ABBUC member. So that's why the contest portal relies on credentials based on details that both we and the members (only) know, i.e. membership number and postal address. Not so odd when you think about it for a moment, I guess...

I did. I know my member number. I just recently became a member. When I registered, address was optional. Seems if it is going to be used like this, perhaps it should be required?

unless it is using the address I gave when I filled out the form to join. 

Its confusing, because there are two different places to sign up and it’s not clear what the difference is until you’ve gone through it. 

@toddtmw I think now I understand where your confusion comes from because you signed up as a contributor for the contest (where everyone can participate) and for voting/downloading of the disks you have to register with your membership credentials. Obviously, the two are different, because again, like in the ABBUC forum, we can't verify of contributors are also members. And sometimes we have teams of members and non-members.

In any case, you don't have to register twice because your voting / downloading credentials are generated by the system based on your membership number and postal address as explained on the website:

For the voting process / downloading disk images, a username and password is needed. The username is your membership number, your password is created the following way:

Membership number + first character of your given name + first character of your surname + first character of the name of the street line + first character of your zip code.

Example: For Jack Tramiel, living in Atari Rd. 400 in 65C02 Ataritown with membership number 999, the password is 999JTA6
Please note that the spelling is derived from the address sticker of the ABBUC magazine, including capitalization (and errors ;-) ), and that in some countries (such as the US and UK) the address line containing the street name begins with the street number, so if in the above address the spelling is "400 Atari Rd.", then the password would be 999JT46

Got it now?

@Philsan There are so many temptations in life you have to resist. Take this one as another exercise, or fight it out with those guys who complained for so long that they want the games as early as possible in order to have enough time to come to a well-informed vote.

Actually. I didn’t vote. 

A week or so ago, I saw that the entries would be released to members. 

So I went to the site and under the membership menu, i selected become a member. I received an email, paid my membership fee. And then a few days later I was given my membership number  told to create an account (which is what I thought I was already doing.)

i went  back to the site clicked the. It logged in button and from there I selected do not have an account. 

Then I set up my account. Sent my username back to the email and a little while later received a response that I had full access. 

I guess I’m not sure what the difference is between having an account and being a member...

Voting hasn't even started, it only begins in September ;).

The account that is mentioned in the membership application is the ABBUC forum. You can, but you don't have to do that. The other way round, also non-members can sign up there.

For voting and downloading, I have set up a system that is based on the membership details, and you don't have to sign up for that. The account is created based on the logic mentioned above. This happens every now and then when we update the user database. If you haven't received a physical magazine yet, you can still derive your password from the logic explained above. If a login doesn't work, then send me an e-mail with your membership number and I'll send you the password.

5 hours ago, freetz said:

Right - a helpful reminder for those people who can't wait and read until the 4th sentence of the webpage ;)...

I read it, but it still is confusing, as the membership number is also a part of the password. But no problem, I understand, that this would be too complicated too change.

I joined Abbuc recently as well, and I can't log in either. However my membership seems to be a bit messed up as I also can't download anything from the members software/hardware area.

On my address label you have me as surname (B), forename (S)

My postal code is nnnnnn, on the label it's USA-nnnnnn

My address starts with a number 'a'

My membership number is mmm

I've tried:-

mmmSBaU

mmmBSaU

mmmSBan

mmmBSan

they all bounce back.

1 minute ago, Mr Robot said:

I joined Abbuc recently as well, and I can't log in either. However my membership seems to be a bit messed up as I also can't download anything from the members software/hardware area.

On my address label you have me as surname (B), forename (S)

My postal code is nnnnnn, on the label it's USA-nnnnnn

My address starts with a number 'a'

My membership number is mmm

I've tried:-

mmmSBaU

mmmBSaU

mmmSBan

mmmBSan

they all bounce back.

For me, it turned out zip code was actually my state. I used the first letter of my state and it worked.