IGNORED

AY-3-8500 Emulation Update

TheProgrammerIncarnate

Hello all!

I've been chatting with some people on this forum and decided to start posting updates here on my project to emulate discrete game chips. There are no true emulations, and only a few simulations have been done so far due to the fact that they don't contain microprocessors and because most of the circuitry is inside a literal black box. Hopefully this will change soon.

https://nerdstuffbycole.blogspot.com/2019/03/febuary-progress-update.html

• Like 4

Hi ProgrammerIncarnate,

thanks for the hijack on my thread, its actually super interesting! I noticed in your blog you mentioned about a video on the wipeout chip, if it helps in anyway I have uploaded a capture of the PC 50x "cartridge" for wipeout here:

I have all the other PC 50x games on display here too: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4KJNYhBfo_qr709LkweGFy2UYRMWW1fm

• Like 1

Awesome! Finding footage of some of these games is hard, I'll probably link to your videos whenever I want to show gameplay (before emulation is complete.) Also, what system did you capture these on? The color palette is different than the video I linked to.

Yes it's the radofin telesports iii. It's a slightly later model of the pc 50x setup in that it has a colour palette switcher on the back with 3 settings: green, red and blue. I tried to pick the best contrasts for each game, but all the colours in each setting is the same (background, grid, player 1, player 2, missile).

It isn't unique for this feature, but I think most if not all carried the 'iii' designation to split it from earlier models. They should all have audio through rf too, earlier models will be like the binatone TV master and fairchild channel f model 1 and have external speaker from what I remember.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Congratulations on all the hard work you've done on this, particularly the preservation of pc 50x chips that has been left virtually untouched in the emulation scene. 

Will all of these end up on the mister homepage once complete? I'm half tempted to get one myself now you are starting to transfer it over to this, looking good! 

19 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

Congratulations on all the hard work you've done on this, particularly the preservation of pc 50x chips that has been left virtually untouched in the emulation scene. 

Thanks! It is kinda amazing how little info some of these chips have. Like the Submarine chip, I only found one video besides yours of it online!

19 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

Will all of these end up on the mister homepage once complete? I'm half tempted to get one myself now you are starting to transfer it over to this, looking good! 

Thanks for reminding me of that! I just added a link on the wiki page.

As a tangent to the topic, has anyone made homebrews for the PC-50x family? I understand that it would involve a chip that simulates one of the AY chips in terms of signals. How feasible would it be, now that you've done the almost reverse - implementations of the existing AY chips as FPGA?

As far as I know: Nobody has ever done a homebrew for the "system". This does bring the interesting potential of being able to develop one though... presumably it has always been possible, but how many people would have made their own circuits for a PC 50x specifically? I think while other systems have their fans, and curious retro developers, TheProgrammerIncarnate is one of possibly only two or three people who have worked on anything to do with it post release. I know someone who has modded one for composite output - using the same circuitry as they would any other pong machine, but this is probably the only other project beside that.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...