IGNORED

SDrive-Max Installation HELP!

TGB1718

This has probably been covered somewhere before, although I can find lots of topics on SDrive-Max, what I can't find are

detailed instructions on how to install it.

Every path I've followed has something missing.

"eeprom_writer.hex" is referred to, but can't seem to find this file anywhere.

I have the hardware.

I have downloaded the latest SDrive-Max version.

I have installed avrdude

I installed avr-gcc to compile it

Inastallation instructions were vaigue to say the least (saying its a 'breeze' or easy is fine if you know where to get everything).

I went to GitHub, downloaed the project onto a Pi, tried to compile, but this fails too with this message

xa -o sdrive.com sdrive.xa -DTYPE=1 -DHELP=0
make[1]: xa: Command not found
What is xa ?
Is there anywhere that has full instructions on how to flash this and get it working. I know lots of you have done this, but I'm stumped.
  • Like 1

This has probably been covered somewhere before, although I can find lots of topics on SDrive-Max, what I can't find are

Every path I've followed has something missing.

"eeprom_writer.hex" is referred to, but can't seem to find this file anywhere.

I have the hardware.

I have downloaded the latest SDrive-Max version.

I have installed avrdude

I installed avr-gcc to compile it

Inastallation instructions were vaigue to say the least (saying its a 'breeze' or easy is fine if you know where to get everything).

I went to GitHub, downloaed the project onto a Pi, tried to compile, but this fails too with this message

xa -o sdrive.com sdrive.xa -DTYPE=1 -DHELP=0
make[1]: xa: Command not found
What is xa ?
Is there anywhere that has full instructions on how to flash this and get it working. I know lots of you have done this, but I'm stumped.

xa is a cross-assembler. You need that installed if you plan to compile the firmware yourself.

This post on AtariAge has a Windows batch file and the version 0.7 firmware that will get you going. When you've got the thing built and running, you can download the files from Github to upgrade the device to the 1.0 firmware or the 1.1 beta if you want to live on the bleeding edge. :) http://atariage.com/forums/topic/275629-sdrive-max-atx-support/?p=4059850

I agree, I finally got what I need scrounged together, I think, and installed, but I've been stuck and the point of programming the arduino chip as all it says is "programmer not responding" and a dozen sync attempts and then stops with a "programming failed.".

But yes, all the so-called tutorials I ever found say stuff like "I don't even know why I am doing this tutorial as it's such a breeze" and then all they show is the very last steps of plugging in the USB cable to the PC and running the programmer that is suppose to program the Arduino and Shield. And skip all the other things before that on the PC side of installing drivers and other stuff!!! I spent many hours finally figuring it all out as far as I know, and I've come to the conclusion in my case though, that I must have a bad ATMEGA chip on my arduino. I just set it aside and gave up for now.

Edited by Gunstar

Many thanks, I had been on that page, but didn't notice the attachement at the bottom :)

Will try again

This post from me near the end of that same thread has the version 1.1beta files already compiled.

The zip has folders for each of 4 or 5 supported touchscreens. Basically you’ll copy the .hex files for your model display out of the sub folder into the main folder, then you can run the batch file in the post I linked to first.

• Like 1

Lovely, two separate threads on the same thing...repost from carbon copy thread:

Posted Today, 7:55 AM

I agree, I finally got what I need scrounged together, I think, and installed, but I've been stuck at the point of programming the arduino chip as all it says is "programmer not responding" and a dozen sync attempts and then stops with a "programming failed.".

But yes, all the so-called tutorials I ever found say stuff like "I don't even know why I am doing this tutorial as it's such a breeze" and then all they show is the very last steps of plugging in the USB cable to the PC and running the programmer that is suppose to program the Arduino and Shield. And skip all the other things before that on the PC side of installing drivers and other stuff!!! I spent many hours finally figuring it all out as far as I know, and I've come to the conclusion in my case though, that I must have a bad ATMEGA chip on my arduino. I just set it aside and gave up for now, at least until I buy another Arduino Uno board, and if the same problem exists, try and figure it out at that point again as I intended to have two eventually anyway. I would have just returned the Arduino board, but I didn't even start the project until several months after I purchased it and then made the mistake, in hindsight, of attaching the SIO cable first, before programming the Arduino.

Edited by Gunstar

I followed the instructions on the ABBUC site and the eprom_writer.hex can be found in the V1.0 file on the German project webpage. You should be able to understand the shell commands even if Google Translate mangles some of the German in between. I'm no Arduino wizard but AFAIK you have to take care to use the firmware file for your exact type of Arduino (they're all zipped inside the V1.0 file).

I think I needed several tries as well but got it working within less than an hour (still need the "more than one SIO device" hardware add-on, so I can't say it really works on an Atari but the user interface is running).

Many thanks again DrVenkman, so far so good (see photo)

I still have to connect the SIO cable (using one off an old 410 Cassette that doesn't work).

I have copied a few games and DOS files onto the SD card, but at the moment can't browse the files.

There is no response to any 'touches' on the screen.

The calibration worked and pressing the Home icon goes to this screen, screen saver wakes up if I touch the screen, but

nothing else.

Touching the screeen during boot goes to the screen calibration again.

Am I missing something ??

post-66729-0-73832000-1551798987_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Many thanks again DrVenkman, so far so good (see photo)

I still have to connect the SIO cable (using one off an old 410 Cassette that doesn't work).

I have copied a few games and DOS files onto the SD card, but at the moment can't browse the files.

There is no response to any 'touches' on the screen.

The calibration worked and pressing the Home icon goes to this screen, screen saver wakes up if I touch the screen, but

nothing else.

Touching the screeen during boot goes to the screen calibration again.

Am I missing something ??

You have probably used the wrong screen version, try the others. That is a strange looking screen but it looks like it must be supported because you have gotten that far.

Edited by Gavin1968

I tried the other screen files, atmega328-hx8347g was the closest match, but still didn't work, so I bought another screen on Amazon which said

it had a ili9341 chip, arrived today (not bad, 12 hours from order to deliver), fitted the new display, uploaded the correct files and it now works

fine.

Have to admit, I should have done my homework on which screens would work with this before I purchased, but never mind, I have a project for

the other screen.

All I have to do now is do the 7407 buffer mod as I want my 1050 on at the same time and attach the cable.

So if your after a screen, don't buy one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4-Inch-LCD-TFT-Touch-Screen-Display-Shield-Module-for-Arduino-UNO-MEGA-2560-PI/263982083387?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Thanks for all the advice.

post-66729-0-66889700-1551874523_thumb.jpg

post-66729-0-36660400-1551874582_thumb.jpg

post-66729-0-88257600-1551874654_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Now completed build, thought I would show you what I did as I couldn't use the SIO Cable from an old 410 Cassette, I couldn't

get the pins out to move the motor control to Command line as Command signal not used in Cassette.

Some years ago I built a SIO2PC and didn't have a spare SIO Cable so I cut one of my 1050 SIO cables in half, then soldered

a 25pin male/female to each half, I used a 25 way on the input to the SIO2PC box.

This meant I could use the SIO2PC but also join the cable back together when I wanted to use the 1050.

I decided to use this cable and put a 25 way (I have loads of components, so no purchase needed) on the SDrive

cable, I also didn't really want to mount the board with the 7407 in the Arduino, so I put the circuit board in a small

box between the plug and the SDrive.

All working fine now, only tested with 130XE, but will try on the 800 later.

I've added a diagram of the circuit I used, I wasn't happy with the ones I've seen before where the Atari +5V is connected to

the Arduino +5V (a recipe for disaster).

All I have to do now is find a suitable case

post-66729-0-45532900-1552060340_thumb.jpg

post-66729-0-51501200-1552060356_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now completed build, thought I would show you what I did as I couldn't use the SIO Cable from an old 410 Cassette, I couldn't

get the pins out to move the motor control to Command line as Command signal not used in Cassette.

Some years ago I built a SIO2PC and didn't have a spare SIO Cable so I cut one of my 1050 SIO cables in half, then soldered

a 25pin male/female to each half, I used a 25 way on the input to the SIO2PC box.

This meant I could use the SIO2PC but also join the cable back together when I wanted to use the 1050.

I decided to use this cable and put a 25 way (I have loads of components, so no purchase needed) on the SDrive

cable, I also didn't really want to mount the board with the 7407 in the Arduino, so I put the circuit board in a small

box between the plug and the SDrive.

All working fine now, only tested with 130XE, but will try on the 800 later.

I've added a diagram of the circuit I used, I wasn't happy with the ones I've seen before where the Atari +5V is connected to

the Arduino +5V (a recipe for disaster).

Can you please tell us the screen you DID order?

Also I see from you post above you loaded files onto the SD memory? Where you able to do this with a card reader and your PC?

I am brand new to these devices so sorry for the dumb questions.

Hi, this is a link to the screen I used on Amazon:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C3RDFN6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

More info here on installing the software:-http://www.kbrnet.de/projekte/sdrive-max/index.html

and loads of help from this forum:- http://atariage.com/forums/topic/275629-sdrive-max-atx-support/

hope this helps

• Like 2

Hi, this is a link to the screen I used on Amazon:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C3RDFN6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

More info here on installing the software:-http://www.kbrnet.de/projekte/sdrive-max/index.html

and loads of help from this forum:- http://atariage.com/forums/topic/275629-sdrive-max-atx-support/

hope this helps

Thanks can't seem to find that one in the US. But here it is one eBay. Or seems like it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-8-TFT-LCD-Touch-Screen-w-SD-Card-Socket-UNO-R3-Arduino-Board-Module-Practice/291980078051?epid=2254351946&hash=item43fb5e6be3:g:D2QAAOSw5cNYXJHm

They also have the 3.5". Are there any advantages to a larger screen? It is about the same price.

Please start recommending people use Xloader, at least for Windows as I haven't tried a Linux version if one is available. It is a simple point and click wrapper that takes care of all the CLI and installation programs people are having. The download I got even had AVRDude distributed within the zip so it doesn't have any trouble finding files.

The LCD screen that failed looks a lot like a MCUFriend. The reason why it won't work is the pins for the touch screen interface use different pins. You will never get the interface to work while the touchscreen is inoperative. No matter where you touch the screen, it will return the wrong info to the program.

A simple default to the software i.e. load named files like disk1.atr on the as the default. Ditto for the whole screen nags. Just do something like ~no user response after 1 minute to the screen calibration, just assume there is a problem and load defaults. That way you wouldn't even need a screen.

Edited by ricortes

Please start recommending people use Xloader, at least for Windows as I haven't tried a Linux version if one is available. It is a simple point and click wrapper that takes care of all the CLI and installation programs people are having. The download I got even had AVRDude distributed within the zip so it doesn't have any trouble finding files.

The LCD screen that failed looks a lot like a MCUFriend. The reason why it won't work is the pins for the touch screen interface use different pins. You will never get the interface to work while the touchscreen is inoperative. No matter where you touch the screen, it will return the wrong info to the program.

A simple default to the software i.e. load named files like disk1.atr on the as the default. Ditto for the whole screen nags. Just do something like ~no user response after 1 minute to the screen calibration, just assume there is a problem and load defaults. That way you wouldn't even need a screen.

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/arduino-xloader

If you are in the US, I can print you one of the cases that look like 1050 Drives. (I mean, I can print you one if you are not in the US, but I will need you to help with the shipping cost.)