IGNORED

SDrive-Max Installation HELP!

TGB1718

Hi,

You use avrdude to program the Arduino firmware (e.g. the memory built in to the Arduino). You need a micro-sd card to store ATR disk images (and possibly XEX files, but I am not 100% sure of this). You will need to use a PC to load up files onto the micro-SD card, you might also need an adaptor to put the micro-SD card in, as most PCs have SD card readers, not micro-SD card readers.

A question I can't seem to get anyone to answer. So how do I get files on the CD in the first place? Do I load them on with a card reader? Can I load them with the USB interface to the Arduino? Or do I also need an SIO2PC?

You mean the SD card or microSD card? Yes, you need to write them to your card from whatever other computer or device you have and your card reader.

• Like 1

Now completed build, thought I would show you what I did as I couldn't use the SIO Cable from an old 410 Cassette, I couldn't

get the pins out to move the motor control to Command line as Command signal not used in Cassette.

Some years ago I built a SIO2PC and didn't have a spare SIO Cable so I cut one of my 1050 SIO cables in half, then soldered

a 25pin male/female to each half, I used a 25 way on the input to the SIO2PC box.

This meant I could use the SIO2PC but also join the cable back together when I wanted to use the 1050.

I decided to use this cable and put a 25 way (I have loads of components, so no purchase needed) on the SDrive

cable, I also didn't really want to mount the board with the 7407 in the Arduino, so I put the circuit board in a small

box between the plug and the SDrive.

All working fine now, only tested with 130XE, but will try on the 800 later.

I've added a diagram of the circuit I used, I wasn't happy with the ones I've seen before where the Atari +5V is connected to

the Arduino +5V (a recipe for disaster).

All I have to do now is find a suitable case

What did you use for the cable from the Arduino? Sort of looks like one of those modular phone cables.

This post from me near the end of that same thread has the version 1.1beta files already compiled.

The zip has folders for each of 4 or 5 supported touchscreens. Basically you’ll copy the .hex files for your model display out of the sub folder into the main folder, then you can run the batch file in the post I linked to first.

You say "this post" but I don't see a link. Am I missing something?

• 2 weeks later...

Ive purchased an r3 and screen that are supposed to be compatible... are there detailed instructions on hooking up the SIO cable? I saw a reference to having a diode and I cant seem to find a proper tutorial with schematic.

You may need to use Google Translate or something, but there are instructions on the ABBUC page below:

http://www.abbuc.de/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9451

There are only a handful of wires you need to connect: +5V (which can come from the Arduino’s power input or the SIO bus BUT NEVER BOTH AT THE SAME TIME!), GND, Command, Data In, and Data Out.

The instructions about the diode are frankly outdated - initially people believed a diode on the Arduino Tx pin would sufficiently isolate the device and prevent it from “taking over” the SIO bus, so you can use the SDrive-MAX with other SIO devices at the same time. Unfortunately, further investigation reveals that the diode doesn’t really do the job properly. Post 13 above from the OP shows how he wired up a 74-series buffer chip and a few resistors to provide proper SIO isolation. But if you don’t use the SDrive-MAX alongside real floppy drives this is unnecessary.

Looks very interesting...

Any chance the SDrive-MAX is somewhere available as a kit?? (No experience with Arduino here)

There are units listed on eBay out of UK complete with 3d printed case/SIO connector. No experience with seller.

Edited by telmnstr

Looks very interesting...

Any chance the SDrive-MAX is somewhere available as a kit?? (No experience with Arduino here)

You need zero Arduino experience to do this. You plug the screen module (shield) into the Arduino board (almost impossible to plug it in the wrong way round) and f you make the version that monopolizes the SIO bus, you need to solder five wires to points on the Arduino (a bit easier if you get one with extra contacts next to the connectors, but if it has connectors only, you can solder to the underside. Either before or after assembly you connect it to a PC using USB and run two programs to flash the firmware. It's a case of "just follow the instructions".

IMHO the only two reasons not to do it yourself are not being able to solder or not wanting to care about a housing.