IGNORED

1541-III and Copying Files

I am getting my ass kicked by this thing. All of the copiers I have tried to use seize the machine up. Presumably, this is become the 1541-III is not an actual 1541 emulator (no 6502), but rather a drive protocol emulator. In any event, I can find a way to copy files off the thing and onto a drive. Anyone have success with this? Recommendations?

Not bad. It helped me zero in on where its all going pear-shaped. Any program that tries to get a directory from the 1541-III, with or without an image mounted, hangs the machine. I was, however, able to LOAD some proggies and then immediately SAVE them to the CMD FD2000. This will at least get me to the point where I can also format and test the 1581 as well.

Almost any copier will use enhancements (fast loaders/savers) or direct track reading/writing. Unfortunately, the 1541-III does not support any type of such software:

"Because the circuit is based on a PIC microcontroller and not a fancy FPGA or 65xx processor it will never act 100% the same as a 1541. This is the main reason why fastloaders will not work as on a real 1541."

Let's face it, the 1541-III is quite old and obsolete, there's better things around, like SD2IEC, which is very affordable, more compatible and brings a bunch of software with it.