IGNORED

Someone paid $750 for a NOS 1200XL on eBay

ACML

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-ATARI-1200XL-HOME-COMPUTER-/233131266772?hash=item3647b4d2d4%3Ag%3ANOwAAOSwAE9cYx3w&nma=true&si=lajCtSFHuy2%252F5YlM9HDWTsxEGQ8%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Wow! Someone knew exactly what they wanted. No comment other than someone really wanted a new old stock 1200XL really bad. Congratulations!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-ATARI-1200XL-HOME-COMPUTER-/233131266772?hash=item3647b4d2d4%3Ag%3ANOwAAOSwAE9cYx3w&nma=true&si=lajCtSFHuy2%252F5YlM9HDWTsxEGQ8%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Wow! Someone knew exactly what they wanted. No comment other than someone really wanted a new old stock 1200XL really bad. Congratulations!

"Crikey!!!"

That's coming from someone who has 5 fully-boxed 1200XLs sitting here among all the others.

Maybe I should sell some off-- it'd be a fantastic return on my investment, no question there. :-o

--Tim

• Like 5

"Crikey!!!"

That's coming from someone who has 5 fully-boxed 1200XLs sitting here among all the others.

Maybe I should sell some off-- it'd be a fantastic return on my investment, no question there. :-o

--Tim

I'm just glad I got my 1200XL's before all this craziness started and that you were able to give me a few spare parts I needed to have 2 out of 3 complete 1200XL's. Just missing a case for the third, but I'm still planning on making a custom case instead of trying to find one for it, especially with these crazy prices! I've never even seen a boxed 1200XL in person! I say sell those boxed ones off Tim!!! Except maybe one for collector's purposes.

I’m happy to have my three. One needs a keyboard Mylar fix, but the other two are great. :) The restoration and repair of my “Ugly Duckling” 1200XL in the summer of 2017 is one of my personal highlights as an adult A8 hobbyist. :)

• Like 4

I’m happy to have my three. One needs a keyboard Mylar fix, but the other two are great. :) The restoration and repair of my “Ugly Duckling” 1200XL in the summer of 2017 is one of my personal highlights as an adult A8 hobbyist. :)

Ditto here, in both happy with and as a highlight, as seen in my "poor man's 1400XL" reveal thread I did not too long ago, though it was a two-year process, and I used it after initial repairs in the first few months and in-between each upgrade or mod for a while. Though since I also was gifted my 800 from Tim, I'm now planning on giving one of my 1200XL's to someone who has wanted one for 35 years and hasn't been able to obtain one for various reasons at various times.

Edited by Gunstar

You have no clue what you are talking about and the situation, so frankly, please refrain from absurd comments about my friend. If you can't imagine someone being in a position not to be able to obtain one for decades, then I pity you. I love my imagination, personally.

I on the other hand, I am on serious drugs, often. :P

Edited by Gunstar

Item description says it was sealed (i.e. NOS) or new dead stock. If true, rare to find and yes, there is a 99% chance the keyboard won't work correctly.

You can clearly tell it's not NOS. I have three is great condition, boxed (one with plastic on the keys still) and look considerably better than that one. It doesn't matter that the auction states NEW, they also clearly don't know anything about what it is.

The cable clearly has been re-wrapped. Look at the plastic around the 1200. Where is the plastic protectors on the keys? The TV switch box has been opened. Where's the basic cart? Notice now the inserts aren't shown as they are used.

Remember, people that don't collect see something in a box and then think "NEW". Doesn't make it so. And I see 800XL's covered with plastic and posted as NEW all the time on eBay.

If that was a new NOS unopened 1200XL that would have gone for $1000+ easily.

When does an Auctioneer "open" a box, ripping it up. And what kind of auction house doesn't understand collectibles enough to not damage the box.

All I can say is poor sucker that bought it. Used go for ~<$125

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk, just mad that people are still buying things not correctly listed.

• Like 2

I don't believe for an instant it's a legit sale. Just the typical either it gets retracted or not paid for later, or refunded, or the person selling it had someone buy it to get the curve up on terapeak and such trackings. The only thing lost is some fees if it wasn't posted using a freebie from ebay. Since they really give the money back from whoever 'bought' it, nothing really changes hands and they might lose the fees only to really ramp up some prices. Later on when they offer the same thing at a still ridiculously high price, they hope folks will jump on the super deal. This already played out on so many other areas... ever wonder why there is so little to choose from on ebay these days and they are always begging you to sell stuff and offering you all this swag and money back and coupons and on and on? If it weren't for the diarrhea of stuff from china there wouldn't be much left to buy on ebay anymore....

There is always the chance hard drugs are involved, and the unit gets delivered with a little bonus material cooked up by the local chemist or something from south of the boarder, perhaps Afghanistan or china though... that's already been done a bit. Why did the fake Gucci purse sell for a grand or two? It was packed with some goodies... they have caught a few of those sorts of deals these days... sad really

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

:-o Damn! You've discovered how I get my drugs! I've got a closet full of fake Gucci bags! I give them out to all the women in my life at holidays and birthdays!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

"Do you have my OxyContin? I want my drugs." - Carter Pewterschmidt

"What are drugs?" - Peter Griffin

"I don't think this is the call I was expecting" - Carter Pewterschmidt

A 'Like' goes to the first person who can accurately identify this episode.

:)

Family Guy, Big Man on Hippocampus S08E10. Richard Dawson knocks him out.

Sort of back on topic. I'm wishing I had bought a few of those 1200XL keyboards when they were being sold by Radio Shack. I saw several collecting dust at my local shack for over a year, but decades ago. They would be worth something today I think.

Family Guy, Big Man on Hippocampus S08E10. Richard Dawson knocks him out.

Sort of back on topic. I'm wishing I had bought a few of those 1200XL keyboards when they were being sold by Radio Shack. I saw several collecting dust at my local shack for over a year, but decades ago. They would be worth something today I think.

I dunno. They’d be clean but the Mylars would still need to be fixed. My most recent 1200XL came to me with a missing key. A very kind soul here on AA sold me one of those keyboards for $10. I still need to fix the Mylar on it but it sure is pretty and new. :)