IGNORED

SEGA 8Bitdo dongle test out...

gorfcadet

Well good news and bad news. :)

I got my 8bitdo SEGA adapter. My bluetooth SEGA pad was delayed. :( But it did give me a chance to test out the adapter with my other bluetooth controllers. Plugged directly into my 7800 it gets no power, or at least the blue light doesn't light up. If I connect it through my SEGA to 7800 adapter cable, the light powers up and it WILL connect to a Wii Mote, N30 arcade stick, Wii U Pro Controller, but it will not register ANY button presses. It appears that the bluetooth dongle for the 7800 use will be a bust. It also fails to register on the Retron77. I also tried getting it power through its usb while connected, but it made no difference.

It does do what its advertised for; it works great on a Genesis, but the button mapping on their own arcade stick the N30 is all kinds of botched. Fierce Kick/C button is mapped to L1 but R2 is in the Fierce Kick/C position which is a "dead" button on the layout. Makes Street Fighter and MK a pain in the but. :*( They say holding X and Start will boot the stick into a mode that gives you ABC/XYZ layout, but no matter what I do, I get the weird X-input mode.

The mapping on a Wii Tatsunoku Vs. Capcom Fightstick makes a little more sense, but still needs adjustment. They really should have a software map feature in the firmware update kit.

Just wanted to share my Atari results since I though some of you might be thinking the same thing. It would be nice to have a wireless 2 button solution for the 7800. Someday.

• Like 7

The 8BitDo works great with my 7800. I use it with an adapter I built many years ago using the instructions in the FAQ from the 90s.

It works better than the Krikkz Joyzz, which I hadn't had an issue with until the Ricki and Vicki game. When playing that game with the Krikkz Joyzz (wireless Genesis pad), the controller works fine until you have to continue a game, then it will combine the button presses for some reason (so when touch a block, you cannot grab it -- it throws it as the same time instead). The 8BitDo Genesis controller doesn't have this problem. It's also quite comfortable. I haven't had any issues with other games so far using the Krikkz Joyzz though, so it does make for 2 wireless controllers for my 7800 with all-but-one game so far.

On separate note, neither the 8BitDo nor the Krikkz Joyzz work with the Genesis Flashback HD, 2017 or 2018.

edit: just realized you said "bluetooth" dongle. The 8BitDo wireless pad I bought came with the 2.4g dongle.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 2

The 8BitDo works great with my 7800. I use it with an adapter I built many years ago using the instructions in the FAQ from the 90s.

It works better than the Krikkz Joyzz, which I hadn't had an issue with until the Ricki and Vicki game. When playing that game with the Krikkz Joyzz (wireless Genesis pad), the controller works fine until you have to continue a game, then it will combine the button presses for some reason (so when touch a block, you cannot grab it -- it throws it as the same time instead). The 8BitDo Genesis controller doesn't have this problem. It's also quite comfortable. I haven't had any issues with other games so far using the Krikkz Joyzz though, so it does make for 2 wireless controllers for my 7800 with all-but-one game so far.

On separate note, neither the 8BitDo nor the Krikkz Joyzz work with the Genesis Flashback HD, 2017 or 2018.

edit: just realized you said "bluetooth" dongle. The 8BitDo wireless pad I bought came with the 2.4g dongle.

Thanks for the post.. I just picked up the same controllers you did and haven't tested them yet. I have the seagull78 adapter and I'm hoping for good results. I'll come back and update if my experience is any different than yours.

I believe it is still available in the AtariAge store.

Mitch

I forgot to look at Edladdin's website. Just ordered one! :) Can't wait. I already had an adapter, but if Ed's works with the 8bitdo bluetooth then I can definitely have another in my collection! I'll post results and button mappings once I get to road test it with the Seagull adapter. I wonder what keeps mine from working when it does work as a SEGA to two button adapter. Meh. As long as the Seagull gets the job done, I can live with an unsolved mystery.

• Like 2

...I wonder what keeps mine from working when it does work as a SEGA to two button adapter...

Just curious... where did you get the parts you used to build your adapter? Also, what schematic did you use?

I originally built mine in the mid-to-late nineties using parts from Radio Shack. It never worked quite right and it wasn't until years later that I realized the PNP transistors I bought from Radio Shack were not the values on the package label. The Shack used to just package random valued components together and assume whatever application you were using them for wouldn't make a difference. Once I finally realized it, I ordered correct parts from Mouser and my adapters worked great after that.

The old FAQ moved to AtariAge many years ago, but here's an archive link to the one I used. I remember printing this out in the old high school library consisting of beige Power Macintosh computers, (back in the earlier days of the internet, when I used to visit JaguDome for Jaguar news nearly every day). :)

http://web.archive.org/web/20010204000200/http://www.cs.colostate.edu:80/~dzubera/2600faq.html#sega

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

Just curious... where did you get the parts you used to build your adapter? Also, what schematic did you use?

I originally built mine in the mid-to-late nineties using parts from Radio Shack. It never worked quite right and it wasn't until years later that I realized the PNP transistors I bought from Radio Shack were not the values on the package label. The Shack used to just package random valued components together and assume whatever application you were using them for wouldn't make a difference. Once I finally realized it, I ordered correct parts from Mouser and my adapters worked great after that.

The old FAQ moved to AtariAge many years ago, but here's an archive link to the one I used. I remember printing this out in the old high school library consisting of beige Power Macintosh computers, (back in the earlier days of the internet, when I used to visit JaguDome for Jaguar news nearly every day). :)

http://web.archive.org/web/20010204000200/http://www.cs.colostate.edu:80/~dzubera/2600faq.html#sega

Well, I've got a Seagull coming in the mail, so I'll leave that one alone (I would die if I messed it up futzing around with it) and just leave it alone as a player 2 connector. I want to see if the 2.4g works the same as the bluetooth with it as well. The bluetooth was a no go with the Retron 77 as well with or without the 7800/SEGA adapter. So the Bluetooth dongle may be considerably different than what comes with the 2.4g controller.

My adapter was built by grips03 here on the forums. It has always worked great for me, but I don't know what schematic he used. I'll see if the 2.4g behaves with it when it comes in.

Ok. So I got my Seagull 78 adapter in yesterday and BOTH the 2.4g controller and dongle work and the bluetooth adapter as well! I was playing Commando and Xevious with my 8bitdo N30 arcade stick and played some Rikki & Vikki with my WiiMote! The WiiMote thankfully is mapped well in this case to buttons 1 and 2. It is so nice to play without worrying about my kids knocking my system onto the floor or damaging my controller ports. I ONLY get function with the 7800 using the Seagull adapter to this point, so if you don't have one, don't order this gear for use on an Atari.

• Like 8

Ok. So I got my Seagull 78 adapter in yesterday and BOTH the 2.4g controller and dongle work and the bluetooth adapter as well! I was playing Commando and Xevious with my 8bitdo N30 arcade stick and played some Rikki & Vikki with my WiiMote! The WiiMote thankfully is mapped well in this case to buttons 1 and 2. It is so nice to play without worrying about my kids knocking my system onto the floor or damaging my controller ports. I ONLY get function with the 7800 using the Seagull adapter to this point, so if you don't have one, don't order this gear for use on an Atari.

ooo that n30 looks pretty nice. Hadn't heard of it before.

• Like 2

ooo that n30 looks pretty nice. Hadn't heard of it before.

It is, BUT... if you want it for retro systems like the Genesis and SNES the buttons are mapped waaaay off. It says it has two modes, x input and d input, and the online instructions tell you how to boot into either one, but no matter what, it connects in x input mode which is borked for Street Fighter. You can rewire the insides physically, but for the 7800 at least button 1 and 2 are side by side.

The Retron 77 still doesn't read the bluetooth or 2.4g devices with or without the Seagull.

• Like 1

It is, BUT... if you want it for retro systems like the Genesis and SNES the buttons are mapped waaaay off. It says it has two modes, x input and d input, and the online instructions tell you how to boot into either one, but no matter what, it connects in x input mode which is borked for Street Fighter. You can rewire the insides physically, but for the 7800 at least button 1 and 2 are side by side.

The Retron 77 still doesn't read the bluetooth or 2.4g devices with or without the Seagull.

Just to be clear regarding the R77: both of the devices that you are talking about are Sega compatible with db9 connectors and are being plugged into the front ports of the Retron with Sega to Atari adapters, correct?

That being the case, I'm not surprised, as I also have not been able to get anything other than basic Atari joysticks to work 100% without being connected somehow via USB.

• Like 1

Just to be clear regarding the R77: both of the devices that you are talking about are Sega compatible with db9 connectors and are being plugged into the front ports of the Retron with Sega to Atari adapters, correct?

That being the case, I'm not surprised, as I also have not been able to get anything other than basic Atari joysticks to work 100% without being connected somehow via USB.

Yep, that is the case as I have seen it. Now I have used my SEGA wired pads using the 7800 adapter. That does work. No wireless at all with any of my different solutions.

Yep, that is the case as I have seen it. Now I have used my SEGA wired pads using the 7800 adapter. That does work. No wireless at all with any of my different solutions.

I did a bit of 8bitdo bluetooth testing to complement yours.

The only 8bitdo receiver that I have is the NES version. The only bluetooth input devices that I have are Wiimotes AFAICR.

Attempt 1: On the Retron 77, I tried plugging the receiver through a famiclone adapter, into my 2600-daptor D9. The receiver did not power up, and was not detected. Note that the current firmware of the D9 requires a button to be pressed on the attached controller(most types) during detection. This wasn't possible with the bluetooth receiver, as there was no way to sync my Wiimote with the receiver unpowered, in order to press a button.

Attempt 2: I tried my (wired)NES Advantage through the famiclone adapter into the D9 with a button pressed on the Advantage. This worked fine with the R77. I tried unplugging the Advantage and then hot-plugging the 8bitdo receiver into the D9. The receiver powered up, but with the led flashing green and red. It would not allow syncing with the Wiimote, and the Wiimote did not work. I tried a few times, but always the red and green flashing occurred. I replugged the Advantage without resetting the D9, and it still worked fine with the R77.

Attempt 3: I tried plugging the 8bitdo receiver into the R77 using the receiver's usb port. I was able to sync my Wiimote, but the R77 ignored inputs from the Wiimote, and would not allow inputs from the Wiimote to be mapped using Stella's configuration.

I decided to see what data I could gather on my PC about the situation. Plugging the 8bitdo receiver into my Mint Linux PC, I saw that the receiver was detected as an XBox 360 controller, and was apparently using xinput(or is it direct input, I get those confused.) Stella would allow me to navigate its directory listing with the Wiimote's dpad, but wouldn't allow me to map the dpad to a controller.

MAME showed that the 8bitdo was mapping the dpad as a HAT, which Stella apparently wont allow you to use as a joystick. I plugged in a Wii Classic Controller, and Stella then allowed me to use the left analog stick as a joystick.

Back on the Retron 77, the Wii Classic Controller did not make a difference in Stella, however. The problem may be that the 8bitdo receivers are being seen as Xbox360 controllers, as opposed to 'generic' USB controllers, and that the current R77 community build firmware(or the antiquated Stella version) still doesn't support Xbox360 controller type input.

-edit- Note that my 8bitdo NES receiver's firmware is probably a couple of years out of date, though I doubt that affected my testing on the Retron 77.

Edited by fluxit

I'll add that the 8bitdo Mega Drive pad works wonderfully with the Edladdin adaptor. It's just about the perfect gamepad controller as is, and it makes playing the 7800 a joy. Way better than the painlines and euro pads.

• Like 1

I'll add that the 8bitdo Mega Drive pad works wonderfully with the Edladdin adaptor. It's just about the perfect gamepad controller as is, and it makes playing the 7800 a joy. Way better than the painlines and euro pads.

I tried the Genesis 8bitdo bluetooth dongle on my Edladdin Seagull 78 controller with my NES30 Pro controller, and it works BRILLIANTLY!

Thanks for sharing the information and results, gents! Not the cheapest controller option out there; however, considering the cross platform compatibility and bluetooth enabled, it may be very appealing to some more, if not many more, individuals.

Thread should be renamed to "Bluetooth Controllers For The 7800". ;)

8Bitdo Retro Receiver for the Original Sega Genesis and Mega Drive - Bluetooth - Sega Genesis

$19.99 Amazon

&

Seagull 78 Controller Adapter

$25.00 AtariAge or Edladdin Direct

Coupled with...(Confirmed compatibility)

8Bitdo M30 Bluetooth Gamepad - Sega Genesis & Mega Drive Style

$29.99 Amazon

Or/And

8BITDO N30 Pro Wireless Bluetooth Controller

$49.99 Amazon

Or/And

8Bitdo N30 Arcade Stick

$59.99 Amazon

• Like 4

I can also confirm that The 8Bitdo M30 2.4G receiver non-Bluetooth version and receiver ($5 cheaper) also works with the Seagull 78 Controller Adapter. This will be the only way I will ever play 7800 games from here on out. This is absolutely the best way to play 7800 games.The M30 controller is the best retro wireless controller on the market IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Wireless-Gamepad-Original-Genesis-Drive/dp/B07HB1XFQW/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=8bitdo%2Bsega&qid=1553808677&s=gateway&sr=8-2&th=1

• Like 2