IGNORED

Bottom line for PS1 Classic?

So it's dropped to 50 CDN, meaning it just may be worth buying. Is there a way to mod it and add games so that the original issues (PAL games, etc) aren't present? I realize the controllers aren't Dualshock so lots of driving games are out, but there's lots of fun games that don't require the analog sticks.

What's the bottom line, worth it for modding? Esoecially at this clearance price? Or is the emulator itself garbage (who knows, is there a way to replace even that?) Or do I just stay far, far away regardless of price?

Thanks guys.

So it's dropped to 50 CDN, meaning it just may be worth buying. Is there a way to mod it and add games so that the original issues (PAL games, etc) aren't present? I realize the controllers aren't Dualshock so lots of driving games are out, but there's lots of fun games that don't require the analog sticks.

What's the bottom line, worth it for modding? Esoecially at this clearance price? Or is the emulator itself garbage (who knows, is there a way to replace even that?) Or do I just stay far, far away regardless of price?

Thanks guys.

Yes, it's worth getting.

Yes, you can mod it, and it's easy. https://modmyclassic.com

You can use other controllers, too.

Yes, it's worth it for modding, especially at this clearance price.

The emulator itself is OK, and there are ways to replace it.

• Like 4

It works but is very (annoyingly) unstable, like all RetroArch "solutions".

I wish they could all work as well as the XPORT emulators on XBOX. Even though the box is clunky, still nothing beats it for emulation on a TV for the old systems.

• Like 1

The bottom line is for me this, it was too expensive and we're waiting for someone to do a nice simple mod.

Once it's got a decent mod going for it it will be a nice little system. Current mods aren't bad, they're just not as useful as the Hackchi mod for the NES/SNES classics.

I'm looking forward to playing some nice PS1 games on the system.

Edited by power

It works but is very (annoyingly) unstable, like all RetroArch "solutions".

I wish they could all work as well as the XPORT emulators on XBOX. Even though the box is clunky, still nothing beats it for emulation on a TV for the old systems.

For everything pre-PlayStation I agree, but I feel like the OG Xbox runs PS1 games slower than original hardware. Maybe if you've got a souped-up Xbox with the 1.4 GHz CPU and 128 MB of RAM it does better with it.

For everything pre-PlayStation I agree, but I feel like the OG Xbox runs PS1 games slower than original hardware. Maybe if you've got a souped-up Xbox with the 1.4 GHz CPU and 128 MB of RAM it does better with it.

Agree, I should have qualified my view of "old systems" to be 16-bit or older. :)

Edited by R.Cade

Not only that you would need one of those

Pelican brand controllers that also had the black and white buttons on the shoulders just to have R1 and L1.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

Where are they all being sold for $50 CDN? That is a price I might bite at just for the controllers. I checked Walmart Canada and they are sold out online :(

As of yesterday afternoon, my local Wal-Mart had many, many units sitting on the shelf, but they were still priced about at about Cdn$76.

I too would buy one for Cdn$50, if only I knew where...

I picked one up for around $35USD a few months back with the Target app exploit where they double-discounted them. I basically played it for a half hour and put it back in the box. I feel like it's more of a novelty/collector's item than a good game console. Some thoughts:

-Presentation and packaging are top notch. They NAILED this aspect of it. It really looks like a small Playstation!

-Controllers are not Dual Shock, but they are convincing replicas of the originals. And since they are USB, they work on other stuff.
-Game selection is just OK, as many people have communicated. Some run slow because they are PAL releases.
-I haven't hacked mine yet, but I will eventually since there are tons of options for this now.

Before I bought this, I put Retropie on a 128GB SD card and loaded it with PS1 titles for my RPI 3. I used the same emulator that runs on the Classic, and it works very well, if not better than the Classic does.

• Like 2

Where are they all being sold for $50 CDN? That is a price I might bite at just for the controllers. I checked Walmart Canada and they are sold out online :(

They are all over the place in Ontario. At 150, they shelfwarmed like nothing else...and they had walls of them. At this discounted price, it seems they are moving...still, the included games aren't my cup of tea, so while I'm not 100% happy with it I will buy one for modding. There's plenty of PS1 gaming awesomeness that doesn't require analog sticks, but the rumble feature is something I'll miss in the games that featured cool gimmicks for them.

Some of the included titles interest me, but mostly I think that it is an interesting-looking collectible piece. Cdn$50 is my price point.

I won't be going to the GTA this year, so I will just have to wait for my local store management to get tired of seeing the piles of unsold stock.

Is Wal-Mart internally consistent on prices? In other words, is it worth the effort to try a different store elsewhere in the city in hopes of landing a lower price?

Some of the included titles interest me, but mostly I think that it is an interesting-looking collectible piece. Cdn$50 is my price point.

I won't be going to the GTA this year, so I will just have to wait for my local store management to get tired of seeing the piles of unsold stock.

Is Wal-Mart internally consistent on prices? In other words, is it worth the effort to try a different store elsewhere in the city in hopes of landing a lower price?

Hard to say but I would assume yes. Im going to pick one up tomorrow.