IGNORED

Bottom line for PS1 Classic?

Sticking firm to $58 locally here at Wal-Mart, which is the only place in town for videogame hardware. It surprises me since I figured when I bought mine a few months ago that it would soon be slashed even further. Not as good as some of these online prices obviously, but it still felt like a solid deal for two nice USB controllers and a machine that can be easily hacked to play hundreds of PS1 iso's.

I haven't spent much time with mine so far (Basically just three hours or so of Ridge Racer Type 4 before my Super NT drew me back to it), but like the controllers and feel of the system. I did notice that it seems very picky about power requirements. I first tried powering it by my PC since I was hooking it up to a HDTV within easy reach of it, but no luck. Then I tried a USB port on my HDTV and still no action.

Finally had to get a SNES Classic power supply and plug the cable into that to get it work (Probably didn't even need to swap USB cables, but didn't think to check the style of plug on them until after it was all setup). Was starting to think that I had a dud and foolish me had waited several months after buying it to test fire it.

Anyone know the specifications for this so I can get a dedicated USB power adapter for it? Didn't notice it in the manual anywhere before I boxed it back up.

Edited by Atariboy

I work in a electronics department in a Walmart. We price match with walmart.com. There are a few qualifiers here. The item has to be sold by Walmart themselves and not a third party. When you look up something on walmart.com it will say who it is sold by - either Walmart themselves or a third party seller. Amazon.com is the same way. Just noticed recently Newegg has third party sellers.

Anyway, as long as it is sold by walmart.com and is in stock (can be added to your cart), you can price match. As far as I know it's corporate policy. If they don't want to do that, cause a stink up at the service desk because they don't know what they are doing.

*Oops! Forgot to quote...*

Edited by vandymachine
  • Like 1

My local Wal-Mart didn't, at least for a time. Was even an excuse in the online terms and conditions for price matching on their main website that I'm sure was the loophole being used to not do it (And signs posted such as at the service desk saying they wouldn't).

That said, I can't find that now on Walmart.com, so I'm curious if I again price match.

Edited by Atariboy

I just paid $28 for a PlayStation Classic from antonline. If you search Google Shopping you'll find it for $35 and then there's a promo code if you've not bought anything in April from Google Shopping good for 20% off - APRSAVE19

Now I need to get the 8bitdo adapter which I'll pair a Dual Shock 3 to, and prep one of my spare 64 GB flash drives with games. I'll sell my modded PS1, since that system isn't important to me.

You mean with an adaptor you can use analog sticks on the PS1 Classic? If so...that's awesome!

For everything pre-PlayStation I agree, but I feel like the OG Xbox runs PS1 games slower than original hardware. Maybe if you've got a souped-up Xbox with the 1.4 GHz CPU and 128 MB of RAM it does better with it.

A guy named marty is working on an open GL version of pcsx reloaded for the xbox and it runs several games full speed that did not before. Plus it looks really nice. However I still think the PSC is the way to go for PSX goodness.

Xbox also has the advantage of a more consistent and reliable interface for older systems ( Pre PS1 ) as well as better computer system emulation support.

Best Buy Canada had the PlayStation Classic for $29.99 CDN for one day only last Thursday. They are now back up to $49.99.

For $29.99, I couldn't say no. I reserved online and picked it up later in the day. I didn't see any out on display - but might have missed them.

I'll probably mod the PSC for giggles. I have plenty of other systems that I can use for retrogaming already - RPi 3, modded Wii, modded PSP not to mention a modchipped PS1 from back in the day. It might make a good "impulse play" system to keep hooked up in my home office.

• Like 1

I just picked up another one, now it's ten bucks less than my first one. I paid $39 CDN for the second one. I can't imagine it'll drop further but these are definitely moving at these prices, although still about a dozen left at the Walmart I saw.

They were $19.99 at The Source on the 18th.

Regarding emulation - using AutoBleem is a snap. RetroArch on this runs N64 really good. Also PSP pretty good. Most systems before N64 (except Saturn and Jaguar) are running pretty decent. RetroArch can support PS3 controllers without any extra configuration when plugged into USB port. PS3 controller does not work with the original PCSX emulation unless I am missing something - couldn't get it to work at all.

Switching games to hi-res mode (PCSX) has not caused any issues with performance so far, but boy some of them do look a lot better! Hydro Thunder, Rayman 2 and Gran Turismo 2 look great in hi-res mode.

I paid $40 CDN for it 2 weeks ago and will call it worth it - I had originally pre-ordered and never even took it home from the store.

• Like 2

Well now I can send the 8bitdo receiver and flash drive I bought for the PSOne Classic back, since either Google Express or AntOnline canceled my order. Oof.

Just talking to myself here, but I managed to snag one for $28 with free shipping from Target. That's entirely because Google Express gave me a $15 promo code to try shopping with them again. Since Target is a reputable retailer I hope this time works.

I got like 90 games on a 64 GB thumb drive (The Sandisk Cruzer Blade recommended on the AutoBleem wiki). Just need something to plug it into. :lol:

Edited by derFunkenstein

These still haven't been cheap enough to warrant a pickup yet.

My main issue is my "all in one" PS1 HDMI solution is my PS3. I think for me it was just "too soon" for a PS classic.

Also the no analog sticks on the pads grinds my gears. But if I stumble across one for $20 someday.... and I would probably open it and mod it.

My concern is the price but also how stable the hardware is for adding your own stuff and if youre stuck using annoying side loading of retroarch which I want nothing to do with. Can it boot using its own emulator or something else thats stable?

Boots almost as fast off the USB as the original config. I have about 50 Playstation games loaded and it doesn't even hiccup. I think once I have a USB hub, there will be very little (if any) tweaking left to do on the Playstation side. But, as you probably know, once you start fiddling with the Retroarch side it never ends....

I strongly dislike nearly loathe retroarch due to problems it repeatedly gave me with both the android and pc version for arcade stuff and a few others so Ive sworn off dealing with it

If youre saying the core emulator isnt crap and just incompetently tuned by Sony foolishness and it can run USB stored ISOs without speed or bug problems Id buy that for the HD alone. I wouldnt abuse it much but Id get at the least ISOs of the discs I own to have fun on my TV with. Id still use my one+lcd combo due to memory card saved games though.

If youre saying the core emulator isnt crap and just incompetently tuned by Sony foolishness and it can run USB stored ISOs without speed or bug problems Id buy that for the HD alone. I wouldnt abuse it much but Id get at the least ISOs of the discs I own to have fun on my TV with. Id still use my one+lcd combo due to memory card saved games though.

Crappy USB will get crappy results. I bought a $15 Sandisk 64gb Blade and it works flawlessly. The inbuilt emulator can be reconfigured using the control pad (no need for keypad). You can completely "fix" Tekken 3 by just changing the region and then upgrade it by switching to hi-res mode. The latest AutoBleem incorporates the pre-loaded games with the games on your USB in one scrolling menu and loads artwork and data for each title as well. It is a nice package.

The only big improvement I would like to see is getting support for DS3's in the native emu.

• Like 1

Crappy USB will get crappy results. I bought a $15 Sandisk 64gb Blade and it works flawlessly. The inbuilt emulator can be reconfigured using the control pad (no need for keypad). You can completely "fix" Tekken 3 by just changing the region and then upgrade it by switching to hi-res mode. The latest AutoBleem incorporates the pre-loaded games with the games on your USB in one scrolling menu and loads artwork and data for each title as well. It is a nice package.

The only big improvement I would like to see is getting support for DS3's in the native emu.

Well that’s encouraging the core itself isn’t flawed as much as out of the box seems to be. I’ve got a 32GB Sandisk usb stock around somewhere I could use for something like this I stored away years ago.

I wasn’t really concerned about tekken as I’m no fan of 3D button mashers like that but I was thinking of added games that may get unstable quality or speed.

• 2 weeks later...

This thing is awesome when it boots directly into RetroArch. It's like a Pi but more attractive and (despite the requirement for a thumb drive) cheaper since it has decent controllers in the box. I did the power limit mod with a conductive pen (MGChemical carbon conductive ink) and don't even need a powered USB hub now. A 128 GB thumb drive has all the PS1 ISOs I need plus SNES, Genesis, GB, GBC, GBA, PCE and Super CD ROMs I can stand and still have 35 GB free. It's pretty wild. I don't have audio sync issues like I've had with R-Pi. Presumably it's because it's booting the core OS from the system and just launching the app from the folder with the GUID name, and further presumably, that core OS is tuned for low latency, compared to a Pi.

• Like 1

I guess it wasn't entirely clear to me the answer from a couple weeks back, but this Autobleem hack to fix/add to the system, it doesn't use retroarch does it?

It's still using its own emulator but just opening the back door right?

And that emulator actually when properly configured in its own menu isn't trash and actually can run the games properly?

I just want some clean yes or no on this as I'd consider popping for one of them if I saw it cheap enough to my liking locally.

Autobleem uses it's own interface to allow you to run your own PSX games on the PSC. It uses the emulator that comes with the PSC.

It also has the ability to load retroarch separately so you can run games using the retroarch interface. But if retroarch is not your thing then you don't even need to go anywhere near retroarch.

The method derFunkestein uses is to simply bypass the internal menu and go straight into Retroarch ( most likely he is using Bleemsync ).

So to answer your question. Yes. If you want to add your own PSX games autobleem would probably be the one for you. The interface is actually pretty nice and in my opinion better than the built in interface of the PSC. Whereas on Bleemsync if you go straight PSX ( no Retroarch ) it uses the yucky interface that comes with the PSC.