IGNORED

Atari Lynx Programmer Pi Hat Orders

Igor

You can get the usage of all the tools online at this page - https://atarigamer.com/pages/atari-lynx-cartridge-reader-writer-board-software

The -vv will make it slower in some cases. I'm surprised it is taking you so long to write a cart, what Rapsberry Pi are you using? I've got a Model 2b and a Model 3+ and it only takes me a couple of minutes to write a 512k ROM...

I'm going to benchmark a few different RPi models and modes for writing carts and will write up an article on it next week.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've got around 30 brand new connectors sitting at home now, I'm just waiting for some free time now ?

Removing connectors from existing consoles will be difficult and annoying so I don't want to go down that route.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 1:22 PM, Igor said:

I've done some tests using various Raspberry Pi models and here are the results...

https://atarigamer.com/articles/testing-the-atari-lynx-cartridge-reader-writer-with-different-raspberrypi-models

Here the time for writing a 256K game:

real    49m58,028s
user    0m0,046s
sys     0m0,077s

Wonder why so long? Well, I used the Lynx to write it and the triple jump for each byte takes some time ?

• Haha 1

Congrats! This is an amazing feat!

Is this the end of the Atari Lynx Pi Programmer HAT? Now as the Lynx can program the cart by itself?

This also opens up the hardware for new games like "Mission Impossible".

"The mission, should you choose to take it, bla, bla, bla.. This cart will self destruct in 30 seconds"

lda #30

jsr sleep

jsr EraseCart

• Haha 1

Hen / egg problem: One needs a card with BLL on it to program the card ?

Or a modified Lynx which does not switch off when switching the cards.

So, I doubt it's the end of the HAT *lol*

To bad FRAM chips are soooo expensive: 25USD:
https://www.newark.com/cypress-semiconductor/fm28v100-tg/ic-fram-1mb-128kx8-60ns-tsop32/dp/08R5668

Or this: 4MB, but you need to buy 500 *cough*

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/fujitsu-electronics-america-inc/MB85R4001ANC-GE1/865-1254-ND/4022679

Edited by 42bs

3 hours ago, Igor said:

49 minutes?! ??

When I saw the timing at first I thought it said 4 minutes, and now I'm just sad ?

Yepp, nothing more than a prove of concept.

Now I thought of using one of those many eval board I have and connected a Lynx connector to a STM32F7 mapping the card directly into memory.

I can read the Batman card, but ? the chips has only 3V3 signals, which does not work with the SST39SF.

But adding 3v3<->5V level shifters for _all_ signals is not worth the try.

It could have been the quickest programmer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, great news, I've finally got my office workspace set up enough to start making more of these boards. I'll be contacting people on the wait list for payments in the next day or two.

IMG_6175.thumb.jpg.3cfa383eaeffe3480b44bf7a8e065e0e.jpg

21 minutes ago, Igor said:

I've also completed the design for the Raspberry Pi case now too. These will be available to purchase with the Pi-Hat.

Now someone needs to modify Handy (or the based on emulators) to directly load games from card ;-)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Igor said:

I've also completed the design for the Raspberry Pi case now too. These will be available to purchase with the Pi-Hat.

IMG_6245.thumb.jpg.021ff7aed6aee866bb16f35094b9f3b5.jpg

Looks nice, Looks like it will work with the pi4 with that design. Are you able to access the sd card without opening it?

Have you been working on updating the new features of the software yet?

20 hours ago, thefred said:

Looks nice, Looks like it will work with the pi4 with that design. Are you able to access the sd card without opening it?

Have you been working on updating the new features of the software yet?

Cheers. It should work with a pi4, though I don't have one so can't confirm it. I believe that the dimensions of the pi haven't changed.

I played around with a design that you could access the SD card without opening the case but it didn't print very well, so decided that this design will not have an accessible SD card slot.

Haven't had time for the software yet.

• 4 weeks later...

The 'Xmas present for my cart programmer is a 3.5'' LCD with HDMI input (the HDMI is to not have to deal with the hat connection).

20191218_085635.thumb.jpg.92b43ec13fb2ab9b7b3d2cd5a691149e.jpg

I want assemble it as an handheld in a Lynx II case. But at the moment my 3 broken Lynx have some hopes to come back to life, so still looking for a case at a good price.

Last 4 "broken lynx for parts" I bought turned out to have only problems with the power suppy connector. What an unlucky man ?

• Like 3