IGNORED

Couple of ATR-8000 pics

Subby

I was working on my ATR-8000s today at the AHCS meeting, and took a couple of pics of them.

Got a couple more if anyone is interested.

you have copower-88!

I'm jealous :(

My ATR8000 still works but the only upgrade it's ever seen is a move from 180K drives to 360K drives (about 7 years ago)

• Like 2

I think he recently acquired this...

Yes. I have had a “regular”64k for a while. Showed it at a couple VCFSEs with an 8” drive and running Dbase II.

Fellow club member and all around great guy Kyle found another one rotting away in some guy’s barn or something and thought i might be interested.

Opened it up and after brushing aside the bug remains, lo-and-behold, Copower!

Now I’m hoping to have that running by this VCFSE.

• Like 1

You get it working?

I dont have any of the Copower software yet, so today after transplanting, I did some quick testing to make sure the Copower wasnt impeding the normal operation. So far, so good.

Edited by Subby

it won't impede anything and with the proper stuff the Atari can access a hard drive through it.

What does “proper stuff” entail?

I’ve got several 5 1/4” and the 8” floppy drives going. But hard drive might be an interesting challenge.

That said, my challenge capacity has been rather low lately :(

I do have a couple of old 5.25” hard drives, but since I’ve never tested them, I bet they’re all dead.

I still want to see the Indus-GT UltraSpeed ROM applied to the ATR-8000. They're both bit bangers so the code should transplant nicely.

A creative programmer could make both the Indus and the ATR-8000 act as a Happy, or other copy-busting drive.

Z80 is powerful. All we need are good programmers.

:)

• Like 5

IDK, I still haven't fixed & hooked up an 8" drive to my ATR8000. Had it for years now. I get in a ground loop when thinking about things ATR. I just watched a video where another 8 bit was talking about how he has changed to the point where the old rotating media is just to much of a PIA to use anymore. Most modern hardware like Raspberry Pi relies on SD & WiFi. There's also the sentiment that has merit ~anything that you can't bang on directly with the 6502 isn't an 8 bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Only way you’ll not see it is have your eyes closed.

Which actually might be a good idea! I’ll keep watch on your 1088 then. ;)

BTW, do you have a way of creating non-Atari 51/4 floppies from images?

I’m still trying to find MS-DOS disks for the ATR, but if I do, I don’t have a way to create them.

Grew up with a friend who is now a BIG TIME security geek for Cisco (Micah Newsom(e)? - Plano TX) who had an ATR8000 with a couple of percomms attached to it i believe...

When he found out I was doing phreaking related stuff he put a fake letter from the Secret Service in my mailbox... I pooped myself.

Love the pics as well as the device itself.

• Like 2

Gotta love the simplicity of TTL. But, Years later, I would think the ATR (or even an IMPROVED) ATR could be put on a single chip these days. Maybe a faster Z80, faster Disk I/O. The possibilities are almost endless.

This has possibilities.

Atari functions, + fast Z80 and a video chip?

A Word Processor would really perform fast if the terminal was at a high baud rate.

I ran WordStar at 19.2 and it was smooth on the TeleVideo system.

Run high baud rate (38.4+) to ATR device will feel the same as if it's running locally on the 65xxx chip. In other words, it will seem fast to the user.

Explore every option. :)

• 1 month later...