IGNORED

Confused, Geneve emulator...

Nick99

I realise that I need a Geneve emulator, I´ve searched the forum to get information, but is it Mess or Mame that I shall use?

I downloaded from WHTech but I never got it to find the Geneve rom, it´s really confusing and frustrating. :mad:

My purpose is to start learning and hopefully make something in C for the Geneve.

Is there anyone that can help me to point me to all necessary files needed to get the emulation working (on a windows computer)?

Or maybe link to a zip-file with the needed files..

Thanks,

Niklas

As I always recommend, please ask *before* getting frustrated. :)

1. There is no MESS anymore, it is all MAME. MESS was an emulation framework for computer systems based on the MAME core, but since about four years, all systems of MESS are included in MAME.

2. Please have a look at my pages on www.ninerpedia.org concerning MAME usage. Particularly, please check https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/Installing_MAME_on_Windows

3. In order to create a boot disk, I suggest to use my TIImageTool.

Please drop me a note when you need more assistance.

• Like 3

As I always recommend, please ask *before* getting frustrated. :)

1. There is no MESS anymore, it is all MAME. MESS was an emulation framework for computer systems based on the MAME core, but since about four years, all systems of MESS are included in MAME.

2. Please have a look at my pages on www.ninerpedia.org concerning MAME usage. Particularly, please check https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/Installing_MAME_on_Windows

3. In order to create a boot disk, I suggest to use my TIImageTool.

Please drop me a note when you need more assistance.

Thanks, I´ll have a look at it. :) :thumbsup:

Hey,

I do not have time this very minute, but I can decrease your setup time with MAME and a Geneve setup as I have everything all in one spot.

Shoot me a private message on here as a reminder, and if I have time tonight, I will put together a complete zip archive for you. I'm assuming you have a Windows system.

Beery

• Like 1

Hey,

I do not have time this very minute, but I can decrease your setup time with MAME and a Geneve setup as I have everything all in one spot.

Shoot me a private message on here as a reminder, and if I have time tonight, I will put together a complete zip archive for you. I'm assuming you have a Windows system.

Beery

Thanks Beery!

PM sent...

Concerning mouse usage in the Geneve emulation:

The mouse is immediately active in the MAME emulation, but it may not be synchronized with the desktop pointer. I recommend to let the mouse be "captured" by running MAME with the flag "-mouse". In that case, your desktop mouse pointer is captured inside the emulation, and you have to stop MAME to get it back. (Remember this is possible without the mouse by switching to Partial mode with ScrollLock, then pressing ESC.)

If the mouse buttons do not work, you have to adjust the input source. Get into the OSD menu, select "Input (this machine)" and scroll to the section [root:colorbus:busmouse]. The mouse buttons should read like "Mouse B1" etc. If not, particularly when there are key names like LCONTROL, highlight the option, press DEL (→"None"), press Return (→"< >"), press the desired mouse button.

If "Mouse X 3 Analog" does not say "Mouse X", do the same here, i.e. remove the entry, press Return, and move the mouse horizontally. The same holds for the Y direction.

The thing about capturing is yet another problem with emulations. You may know tools like VirtualBox or VMWare which allow for seamless mouse integration. Please remember that you typically run a graphical operating system in that virtual environment with similar properties as your host system. In turn, MAME cannot know how to translate a desktop mouse movement into impulses that make the emulated mouse run at the same speed as the desktop mouse, since this is ultimately controlled by the TI or Geneve program running inside.

The mouse works in Mame but still not when the Geneve emulation is started.

I have this configuration:

mame64 geneve -peb:slot4 memex -peb:slot5 tirs232 -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:h2 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:f4 525dd -hard1 Bootdisk1.HD -hard2 Bootdisk2.HD -hard3 Bootdisk3.HD -flop1 DSDD1.dsk -flop2 DSDD2.hfe -flop3 DSDD3.dsk -flop4 DSDD4.dsk -serl1 socket.localhost:10000 -mouse

I added the -mouse to see if it changed anything, but still no mouse inside the emulation.

I use a laptop with Windows 10.

Here is a test program I once wrote for my Fractals program; you will find it on this practical disk image. After booting, insert it in drive A: and run it as TGMAUS. Move the mouse and press the mouse buttons. I used this program to verify my instructions in the last post.

mouse.dsk

• Like 1

Concerning mouse usage in the Geneve emulation:

The mouse is immediately active in the MAME emulation, but it may not be synchronized with the desktop pointer. I recommend to let the mouse be "captured" by running MAME with the flag "-mouse". In that case, your desktop mouse pointer is captured inside the emulation, and you have to stop MAME to get it back. (Remember this is possible without the mouse by switching to Partial mode with ScrollLock, then pressing ESC.)

Speaking of mouse usage, on my system MAME captures (and holds hostage) the mouse and I have to use CTRL-ESC to get back to the host OS (Windows). I do not have "-mouse" in my startup batch. Is there another flag or setting that can be used to completely inhibit mouse interaction/capture?

In the meantime I am going to try the -mouse option and your test programs, as I had the same issue with my mouse not working in Geneve emulation.

I added a small C program that shows raw mouse and joystick input values. Start it with MAUS.

At last, I got the time to test the mouse.dsk.

The program it self starts just fine, but there are no mouse activated.

I also checked my name.ini and the mouse was set to 0, tried it set to 1 but nothing happened.

The setting in mame.ini should be 0 so that the mouse is only captured with the explicit "-mouse" command line parameter.

Just checked, I cannot get any mouse input when running MAME in Windows. Running in Linux, everything is working right from the start. I'll have to ask our MAME forum, stand by.

• Like 2

OK, I got it. Have a look here. This is the OSD menu from "Input (This machine)". Please scroll forward to the shown section and make sure that the entries are the same.

If not (you have some keyboard keys or other input), select the line, press DEL to remove everything. Should read "None" then. Press Return, you get two triangles like "< >". Press the respective mouse button. For the motion, do the same and move the mouse in the direction.

At the end you should have it as shown in the screenshot.

Concerning the capture, I confirm that the -mouse switch seems to be ineffective. In Linux, things are reacting very differently. I'll ask the fellow devs what to do. You can release the mouse by pressing the Windows key on your keyboard.

post-35000-0-08835000-1553370902.png

Thanks!

This could work, but I can´t get to the menu...

I start Mame - Select New Maschine - Geneve 9640 - Geneve Boot Rom 1.00.

The emulation starts and it search for a dos disk, there are only two keys that work, space bar and the windows key.

Space bar takes me to Geneve boot menu and the windows key opens windows 10 start menu.

If I don´t load the Geneve emulation I can get to Input (this machine), but there is only the choice to return yo previous menu.

And this time when I start up Mame I get a few errors about 'version table' (1 - unsupported file format) and

LUA ERROR in execute_function: plugin/data/load_dat.lua:37: attempt to index a nil value (local 'stmt')

After I pressed ok three times Mame will start.

Made a try to install Mame again, but no luck.

aaahhh!!! :mad: :?

I'm not sure what you did to your installation; these lua errors look like you really broke something. I'd recommend that you take a new, clean directory, download the latest MAME release 0.207 from www.mamedev.org, install it in that new directory (or rename your old directory). Copy or move your ROMs to that new directory, and try again.

The described menu can be found when you press ScrlLock, then TAB. (You did press ScrlLock to get to the Partial Keyboard mode?)

Finally!!!! :D :D :D

Your mouse program works!

Reinstalled everything in a new new folder and managed to get the menu to show up and followed your instructions. :D :thumbsup:

But (I really wished I didn't had to write that), the mouse does not function in Myart.

I will se if I can find Y.A.P.P. and try.

Thanks allot Michael for your help!

• Like 1

But (I really wished I didn't had to write that), the mouse does not function in Myart.

I will se if I can find Y.A.P.P. and try.

Oh, you are right. Myart obviously does not recognize the mouse. That is interesting, especially because other programs (my test programs, a C program, my Fractals program) are perfectly working. This may be a bug in the 9938 emulation, but I cannot really tell how hard it is to find.

Edit: I have YAPP, but it exits right after trying to read DSK1.CHARA1. I copied the file to a disk, but it still does not work. The MAME Geneve reacts identically.

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Hey, Mr. Beery or someone, can I get the files Ill need for running GENEVE in MAME?

I know nothing about MAME. sorry, but I guess it needs a ROM file and prob o

ther stuff..

ive already installed MAME.

thanks!!!

I have a file at http://www.USWingNuts.com/Files/MAME.zip that you can download that has everything.  It's got some hard drive images, floppy images, all the roms, etc.  It is for a slightly older version of MAME, but all should work.  In the MAME folder, I start it up from a Windows CMD.exe prompt and I believe I use geneve2.bat.  If that BAT file does not work, try one of the others.

The hard drive images also have a bunch of source code on it that should get you started.  Typically, any directory that has source code files, I have a batch file (ASS DIS/VAR 80) that launches the assembly process.

Beery

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Hey, Mr. Beery or someone, can I get the files Ill need for running GENEVE in MAME?

I know nothing about MAME. sorry, but I guess it needs a ROM file and prob o

ther stuff..

ive already installed MAME.

thanks!!!

if you want to be a beta tester for OoeyGUI then you can use OoeyGUI to install and configure the latest version of MAME for you.  The installer will download the cartridges, system roms, some disk images and a HD image for use with the HFDC and Geneve emulation.

You just need to click a couple of places to start the install.  Works on Windows, Linux, OSX and Rpi4.

PM me if you want to be added to the list and I can send a link.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 2