IGNORED

Lynx I Horizontal Black Lines

Izen

Hi All,

I recently pulled out my Lynx I which I haven't used in several months (worked fine before) and now there are horizontal black lines running along the bottom of the screen. I read a post from a while back about a Lynx II that had a black line issue and the guy replaced the capacitors and problem solved (https://www.igorkromin.net/index.php/2017/09/11/atari-lynx-repair-part-1-introduction-and-case-disassembly/). I was wondering if this is the same solution for a Lynx I?

If this is the fix for it, are there any recommended capacitors that I should get?

Thanks for your help!

post-64605-0-97307300-1552237083_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I recently pulled out my Lynx I which I haven't used in several months (worked fine before) and now there are horizontal black lines running along the bottom of the screen. I read a post from a while back about a Lynx II that had a black line issue and the guy replaced the capacitors and problem solved (https://www.igorkromin.net/index.php/2017/09/11/atari-lynx-repair-part-1-introduction-and-case-disassembly/). I was wondering if this is the same solution for a Lynx I?

If this is the fix for it, are there any recommended capacitors that I should get?

Thanks for your help!

If you aren’t comfortable replacing the capacitors yourself, send it to a modder who can install a McWill screen just in case that doesn’t work. It’s expensive but, well, the value is much higher too.

Ben Venn is supposedly going to release a replacement screen too. Maybe that’ll be cheaper.

If you aren’t comfortable replacing the capacitors yourself, send it to a modder who can install a McWill screen just in case that doesn’t work. It’s expensive but, well, the value is much higher too.

Ben Venn is supposedly going to release a replacement screen too. Maybe that’ll be cheaper.

Ben's LCD solution is only for the Lynx II at this point in time as he doesn't or at least didn't have a Lynx 1 to test with. He is also trying to make it so that you just plug his kit into the LCD connector on the lynx 2.

• Like 1

Ben's LCD solution is only for the Lynx II at this point in time as he doesn't or at least didn't have a Lynx 1 to test with. He is also trying to make it so that you just plug his kit into the LCD connector on the lynx 2.

Thanks. I recall a recent RetroRGB was talking about it as if he might be considering other options (solder with more features/flexibility vs no-solder with less flexibility). Wasn’t sure if that was set in stone or not.

Thanks! Wound up putting in a McWill. Works great now!

Awesome! McWill probably makes it like a whole new experience. :) Enjoy!