ChildOfCv

ColecoVision diagnostics shield

Yeah, for the PAL SCART board I only had a chance to do the video part in the schematic.  I don't have an actual board to measure placements, so I couldn't update the PCB.  I was using another user's pictures to trace the connections, and not all components had their references visible.  I don't know what happened to him though, I haven't noticed any more posts in a while.  Hopefully nothing bad.

It's likely that what's left outside of the video part is similarly numbered though, but of course, the component layout is shifted.  So while I'd hate to throw away the PCB part entirely, I admit that it's not a good reference.

12 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

Yeah, for the PAL SCART board I only had a chance to do the video part in the schematic.  I don't have an actual board to measure placements, so I couldn't update the PCB.  I was using another user's pictures to trace the connections, and not all components had their references visible.  I don't know what happened to him though, I haven't noticed any more posts in a while.  Hopefully nothing bad.

It's likely that what's left outside of the video part is similarly numbered though, but of course, the component layout is shifted.  So while I'd hate to throw away the PCB part entirely, I admit that it's not a good reference.

i may be able to help with that if interested, i do have a pal / pal scart / ntsc board so i can provide reference, i also dont mind removing the odd component if the wording is under a chip or whatnot to find out the correct references

On 8/26/2020 at 5:49 AM, ChildOfCv said:

It might be.  I have checksums for about 5 variations of ROM, including aftermarket patches, but... like Pokemon, gotta collect em all!

ok, there are the Colecovision "Kenia Fueguina" (Argentina)  BIOS.   Tnks to Alejandro Smukler @Alesmukler who took the trouble to unsolder the BIOS and assemble the necessary wiring to be able to read it. 

index2.thumb.jpeg.5d4246a29fd7eb2ea586274c1c5571ec.jpeg

index.thumb.jpeg.dfc51cd8431ce154002b6cf196334fe4.jpeg

COLECO_KENIA_ROM.ZIP

2 hours ago, Zak said:

ok, there are the Colecovision "Kenia Fueguina" (Argentina)  BIOS.   Tnks to Alejandro Smukler @Alesmukler who took the trouble to unsolder the BIOS and assemble the necessary wiring to be able to read it. 

I can confirm that the Colecovision "Kenia Fueguina" (Argentina) BIOS is 100% identical to the UK/European CBS ColecoVision PAL/SECAM BIOS.

1187628649_BIOSComparison.png.c258f7f8aa124e3d8fbc21895dc9df6e.png

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2020 at 5:13 AM, omf said:

i may be able to help with that if interested, i do have a pal / pal scart / ntsc board so i can provide reference, i also dont mind removing the odd component if the wording is under a chip or whatnot to find out the correct references

That would be useful.  At the moment I'm working on the PAL board though, so I'm not ready to take on another project *yet*.  I'll try to finish that up quickly.

On 8/30/2020 at 11:55 AM, ChildOfCv said:

That would be useful.  At the moment I'm working on the PAL board though, so I'm not ready to take on another project *yet*.  I'll try to finish that up quickly.

1673758923_ColecoSCARTboard.thumb.jpg.22b7ab1c5a78039ac3edf2375377a14c.jpg

Here's what @Mister Fab was working on.  Most of the component references are readily visible, but there are a few that will need to be peeked at.  For the image he was working on, he was using Paint.NET, which seems to be a fairly competent graphics platform, though with limited file format support.

Anyway, if you are interested in finishing the work, that would be helpful.  Also, getting an exact measurement of the PCB dimensions would help.

16 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

1673758923_ColecoSCARTboard.thumb.jpg.22b7ab1c5a78039ac3edf2375377a14c.jpg

Here's what @Mister Fab was working on.  Most of the component references are readily visible, but there are a few that will need to be peeked at.  For the image he was working on, he was using Paint.NET, which seems to be a fairly competent graphics platform, though with limited file format support.

Anyway, if you are interested in finishing the work, that would be helpful.  Also, getting an exact measurement of the PCB dimensions would help.

im not too sure what you need here, are we consentrting on the yellow outlines or the non yellowd components?

i can see an issue with the picture already however,  some of the transistors near the rgb out socket have verticle resistors on some of the transistor base pins,  this is not highlighted  as having anything so that will need documenting.

i wont have access to my scart colecovision for 1.5 weeks but after that i should be able to do something if i know what is needed

2 hours ago, omf said:

im not too sure what you need here, are we consentrting on the yellow outlines or the non yellowd components?

Every component needs a designator, such as R158, so that it can be matched with the component on the board and on the schematic.  It may be hard to notice at first, but there are several components that do not have their designations "in the open" where they are easy to read.  For instance, you see one diagonal resistor, R158.  Just below it, there is a capacitor straddling another resistor.  Neither designator is visible there.  What are those two?  At the top, there is a row of resistors and one diode.  R174, R170, R175, R172, and then a diode whose designator seems to be printed underneath.

Those are the first problems, because it's much easier to position the components when you can find them by the designator.

ok ill look for those when im able.

in the meantime i sourced a cartridge connector 3d model, unfrtunately its not the right colour's, but i guess you cant have everything

image.thumb.png.5406b855077a6caeae8b0030313706ea.pngimage.thumb.png.9b3ce5b9480939a0d6e8a33f82fc4fbc.png

ENG_CVM_CVM_5530841-2_B.3d_stp.zip

datasheet:  https://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=srchrtrv&DocNm=5530841&DocType=Customer+Drawing&DocLang=English

mfg's part number: 5530841-2

Update:  Currently building 5 diag board sets.

I started by soldering on the Atmel, oscillator, ICSP components, FTDI, and power filtering components.  Then made sure it would accept USB connection and program through the Atmel programmer.  Loaded up boot loader and a simple diag program that checks for shorts between adjacent pins.  So far so good.

Next is to add the remaining components, load in the Coleco diag program, and make sure it works on my CV.

• Like 3

On 9/2/2020 at 12:27 AM, ChildOfCv said:

there is a row of resistors and one diode.  R174, R170, R175, R172, and then a diode whose designator seems to be printed underneath.

VR3

On 9/2/2020 at 12:27 AM, ChildOfCv said:

you see one diagonal resistor, R158.  Just below it, there is a capacitor straddling another resistor.  Neither designator is visible there.  What are those two?

there appears to be no designator for these along with the resistors attached to the base pin of the transistors

ill look for some more later