IGNORED

WTB: PS3 KEM410CCA CECHL01 Mobo to Blu-Ray Cable

blainelocklair

Hello everyone!

This is a tough one, I know, but I really need one. Can't find one on eBay nor Amazon nor Google. I am looking for the ribbon cable for a PS3 that fits the CECHL01 model with a KEM410CCA drive. It's not the 60-pin variety, it's the mini cable. My son's PS3 Blu-Ray Drive died and I've replaced it, but now the ribbon cable end broke while reinstalling. If you have one to sell, or even can help me find one, please let me know. It's for a PS3 80GB Fat model.

Thanks!
Blaine

Hello everyone!

This is a tough one, I know, but I really need one. Can't find one on eBay nor Amazon nor Google. I am looking for the ribbon cable for a PS3 that fits the CECHL01 model with a KEM410CCA drive. It's not the 60-pin variety, it's the mini cable. My son's PS3 Blu-Ray Drive died and I've replaced it, but now the ribbon cable end broke while reinstalling. If you have one to sell, or even can help me find one, please let me know. It's for a PS3 80GB Fat model.

Thanks!

Blaine

Hey, I have a junkyard of fat PS3, but none of them are 80GB versions. Do you know if they used that drive/ribbon cable on any of the 60gb or later revisions Is it a flat ribbon cable?

• Like 1

Hi chue!

Thanks for helping out. I really appreciate it. The ribbon in the auction is from the laser lens to the controller board. I will need the one from the controller board to the motherboard. These things are a bag of hurt to fix compared to the classic consoles. I just can't see chunking a console from any era that can be saved, though.

Thanks!

Blaine

Hey, I have a junkyard of fat PS3, but none of them are 80GB versions. Do you know if they used that drive/ribbon cable on any of the 60gb or later revisions Is it a flat ribbon cable?

Hi Jeremy!

I think they are the same. I am fixing my first (and hopefully only) PS3 console, and I've found there are many variants for these things. I'm floored at how much work is involved in what is seemingly a simple swap. I had it all working last night, and then the ribbon cable end frayed when I put it back on the mobo.

Here are two pics of the cable I need. This cable looks shorter because it is connected to the daughter board inside the Blu-Ray player and the frayed end has been cut off. But that's the exact type of cable. It's very rigid and metallic, as opposed to the usual flexible type of ribbon cable.

Thanks for your help!

- Blaine

post-65909-0-20027200-1552317595_thumb.jpg

post-65909-0-62981600-1552317609_thumb.jpg

I guess you are looking for the flex flat cable connected to the unit on the left of this picture, isn't it?

40384657813_5986fe6d1b_c.jpg

There is another different model yet, with the large flex cable, but shorter than the one on the right. If any of these is what you need, please send a PM, I have some I can part with for free.

Edited by deepfb

Hi Jeremy!

I think they are the same. I am fixing my first (and hopefully only) PS3 console, and I've found there are many variants for these things. I'm floored at how much work is involved in what is seemingly a simple swap. I had it all working last night, and then the ribbon cable end frayed when I put it back on the mobo.

Here are two pics of the cable I need. This cable looks shorter because it is connected to the daughter board inside the Blu-Ray player and the frayed end has been cut off. But that's the exact type of cable. It's very rigid and metallic, as opposed to the usual flexible type of ribbon cable.

Thanks for your help!

- Blaine

I'll see what I have tonight (I'm at work right now) and get back with you. That does look familiar, and I know what you mean about the endless minor variations. If I have one, it'll be really cheap. Presumably, you kept the daughter board from your old disc drive right? That laser assembly daughter board is "married" to the primary motherboard, so you always want to keep it when swapping the rest of the drive/laser.

I'll see what I have tonight (I'm at work right now) and get back with you. That does look familiar, and I know what you mean about the endless minor variations. If I have one, it'll be really cheap. Presumably, you kept the daughter board from your old disc drive right? That laser assembly daughter board is "married" to the primary motherboard, so you always want to keep it when swapping the rest of the drive/laser.

Yes, I believe that's the one! I did swap the daughter card from the defective drive to the new one. It actually read a game and was working fine. When I went to button it all up, the end frayed on the ribbon cord when I tried to put it back into the mobo. I guess age and constant heat just did it in over the years. My son bought the PS3 with his own money he earned working at my wife's shop (he's 13) and was heartbroken when it died two months later. A GameStop console, probably par for the course. I replaced it for him with a Super Slim, which has performed admirably. I just can't do what one repair center told me to do and "just throw it away and buy another one on eBay". I can do better, and the PS3 deserves better.

Thanks again for your help!

Blaine

Yes, I believe that's the one! I did swap the daughter card from the defective drive to the new one. It actually read a game and was working fine. When I went to button it all up, the end frayed on the ribbon cord when I tried to put it back into the mobo. I guess age and constant heat just did it in over the years. My son bought the PS3 with his own money he earned working at my wife's shop (he's 13) and was heartbroken when it died two months later. A GameStop console, probably par for the course. I replaced it for him with a Super Slim, which has performed admirably. I just can't do what one repair center told me to do and "just throw it away and buy another one on eBay". I can do better, and the PS3 deserves better.

Thanks again for your help!

Blaine

Sorry to say, but I don't have one. I have 12 broken fat PS3s, and they all have the wide fat cable. I wouldn't give up though, i'm sure one will pop up on ebay eventually. I restore and repair stuff all the time, and sometimes I just have to put it aside and wait for the part to come along. One ebayer i've delt with before has the user name squeept:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/squeept?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

You may be able to send him a message because I know he has a large parts inventory.

Thanks for looking and for the recommendation on eBay. Don't worry, I won't give up on it. My son already has a replacement, and the part for the fat will pop up eventually. I just can't kill off a console. Someone, somewhere, wants one of these right now, if for no other reason than to play NCAA '14. That's exactly why my son wanted one. He has played that game for months and I've helped him download the updated rosters to it for his enjoyment. The fat will be primed and ready when the cable appears.

Thanks again for looking!

Blaine

• 2 weeks later...

If you can determine the length, number of conductors, and pitch (the distance between conductors) you could try either of the sites below. Learn to calculate pitch here if you don't already know: https://www.microcontrollertips.com/accurately-measure-headerconnector-pitch/

https://www.mouser.com/Wire-Cable/FFC-FPC-Jumper-Cables/_/N-ad930/

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/cable-assemblies/flat-flex-ribbon-jumper-cables/457

• 2 weeks later...