AkashicRecord

I second E.T!

If we can include homebrews/hacks, then I would also add:

Evil Magician Returns

Evil Magician Returns II

Ature

I also love:

Anguna

Cave In (No one talks about how great this game is)

Epic Adventure

Adventure & Adventure II

Another Adventure

Adventure Plus

Pitfall II

I will also add Mountain King, Tunnel Runner & Solar Fox!

• Like 1

For me, Raiders, SwordQuest and Riddle of the Sphinx were the 'deep' games back then.

And Escape from the Mindmaster fascinated me, but unfortunately I didn't own a Supercharger.

Space Shuttle seemed the most complex game for me back then.

Played it a lot.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Mines:

Haunted House (very immersive)...

pitfall 2

Star Master

enduro

Space shuttle

Raiders of the lost arc (the deepest Action Adventure imho for the 2600 - ok not knowing Adventure or Quest series)

Ok... as more as I think of... Raiders of the lost arc is it...

For me, Raiders, SwordQuest and Riddle of the Sphinx were the 'deep' games back then.

And Escape from the Mindmaster fascinated me, but unfortunately I didn't own a Supercharger.

Space Shuttle seemed the most complex game for me back then.

Played it a lot.

8)

I just watched a playthrough of Riddle of the Sphinx on YouTube the other day. I could never pass it as a kid. Not sure why I even bothered. Man, what a boring game. And absolutely no payoff.

Ah yes, Enduro! Glad to see that at the top for driving games. We'd need something like a Cannonball Run game to do better... :)

there was only one game i knew that satisfied that 'cannonball' urge....Great American Cross-Country Road Race for c64......i wish they had made some version for Atari, could have been same basic engine as Enduro but with route selection and more diverse traffic layout (more congestion near cities, rush hour traffic, cops....etc)...could make interesting Homebrew!

What about Gravitar?

That game had quite a bit going on for a space game on the 2600.

I love the backstory for that game. They make Gravitar into a villain. Even though the game came out in 1988, I can see Gravitar being a villain in an early 80s The New Teen Titans issue.

Edited by Syzygy1

I'm very surprised that atwong's Haunted Adventure 2 / Haunted Adventure games have not been mentioned.

The second one is by far the biggest, most complex game on the 2600 to date. It's a completely overhauled hack of Nukey's 8k adventure rom, that totally converts it to a Haunted House sequel. There are outdoors areas with animated objects, crypts, graveyards, caves, basements, portals to the underworld, and other areas, as well as the titular haunted house proper. Tons of items, enemies and secrets too, some of which are REALLY hard to find.

For original 'back in the day' games, the supercharger-only Dragonstomper and Survival Island are pretty massive.

• Like 3

wow, no one mentioned the original Adventure cartridge yet? It was never one of my favorites, but looking back now, it was quite a large map for the amount of space on those old chips...

for an early game, Superman had a rather large city layout, once again not my favorite game, but you could fly around in what seemed to be an endless wrap around map

I did however think Krull was pretty interesting with several different screens each with different gameplay....

I was totally enamored with Adventure! That game was so fun, and my friends and I would see how fast you could beat it. On the easy level, I think our best times were around 1 min flat. The first easter egg that many gamers (including myself) ever heard about in a game. Also created the graphic adventure videogame genre.

I fired up Dragonstomper under Stella and was immediately impressed to see an RPG on the 2600, and that was less than 5 minutes into the game. I would have gone apeshit over that game back in the day!

Adventure certainly qualifies, and might have been one of the earliest of the "deep" games on the VCS.

That said, Adventure went over very well just last weekend, even. I brought my light-sixer and 37 games to a family / friends out-of-town trip and set up a TV in the hotel lobby on a table. Within minutes, there was a sizeable crowd flocking around the TV and more than one person asked if I had Adventure, and the answer was an obvious, "of course!" The parents all seemed to enjoy re-living a little bit of their childhood...

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 3/12/2019 at 10:50 AM, AkashicRecord said:

Wow, I've never even seen the Starpath Supercharger. Looks like something worth keeping an eye out for.

Every now and then I play the Supercharger games on actual hardware. 

For me the 'deep' games consist of both 'Shuttle' games and Raiders of the Lost Ark.  @AkashicRecord nice thread:thumbsup:

Supercharger.jpg

• Like 1

I was just thinking about this thread again, and I think the rarest find I have in my collection is Steeplechase and maybe Private Eye a close 2nd. I think I have seen multiple copies of every game I own "in the wild" except for these two.

Steeplechase is an odd duck; it was a Sears-only cartridge and I cannot imagine it sold well for them. It's a good game and can play 4 players.

Private Eye, for an Activision game, is incredibly rare to find in the wild and the instruction booklet is a must.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keithbk said:

Steeplechase is an odd duck; it was a Sears-only cartridge and I cannot imagine it sold well for them. It's a good game and can play 4 players

Steeplechase would be excellent on game night and you can never have too many paddle games.