IGNORED

Arcade/MAME HSC 2018 Round 16: Jungle Hunt / The Legend of Kage

Leto27

Arcade/MAME HSC 2018

Round 1: Time Pilot '84

Round 2: Toki / Moon Patrol

Round 3: Sunset Riders ( 2 player version)

Round 4: Golden Axe/Hippodrome

Round 5: Gravitar/Xybots

Round 6: Time Tunnel / Super Pac- Man

Round 7: Ghould’n Ghosts / Mystic Riders

Round 8: Into the sea

Round 9: Prehistoric Isle in 1930 / Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

Round 10 Tetris Plus / Puyo Puyo

Round 11: X-Men / Captain Commando

Round 12: UN squadron / Galaga 88

Round 13: Bad Dudes vs Dragonninja / Mario Bros

Round 14: Nibbler / Ninja Baseball Bat Man

Round 15: Mr Do / Popeye

Round 16: Jungle Hunt / The Legend of Kage

Round 17: SHMUPS 2

Round 18: Polish your armor 2

Standings after: : Mr. Do / Popeye

Round 16

Jungle Hunt

post-62867-0-31752800-1552351846.png

jungleh.zipjunglek.zip

Jungle Hunt by Taito, 1982

MAME ROMset: junglek, jungleh
Dip Switches: Default: ( lives 3 )

Number of credits: 1 credits

Remember to play with the recommended settings, and do not use cheats or any kind of enhancements to take advantage

Round ends March 24th @ midnight MDT

Jungle Hunt

Scoring will be as follows:

10 Points for 1st

9 for 2nd

8 for 3rd and so forth

Round 16

The Legend of Kage

post-62867-0-86316400-1552351863.png

lkage.zip

The Legend of Kage by Taito,1984

MAME ROMset: lkage
Dip Switches: Default (Bonus; 200k, 700k, 500k / lives 3 / Difficulty; Easy / initial season; Spring )

Number of credits: 1 credits

Remember to play with the recommended settings, and do not use cheats or any kind of enhancements to take advantage

Round ends March 24th @ midnight MDT

The Legend of Kage

Scoring will be as follows:

10 Points for 1st

9 for 2nd

8 for 3rd and so forth

Edited by Leto27

Jungle Hunt 10,350. 14,000. Always a tricky game. It seems so easy in the early rounds, which lulls you into a false sense of security and causes you to mess up.

Legend of Kage 85,000. My first impression is that Legend of Kage is very, very good, but I'll save any excessive praise for now because I have the feeling this game is going to cause me great grief over the next couple of weeks.

post-47871-0-44848000-1552526333.png

post-47871-0-96191600-1552531153.png

Edited by AtariWarlord

Jungle Hunt - 9,100

Legend of Kage 101,000

I only played LoK on 8 bit micros before and it was pretty awful. Arcade version is quite good though, now it all makes sense. The free-flying gameplay can be quite fun. Curiously though, is there no timer in the first stage? You can sort of cheese off the score by hanging in the first forest and killing heaps of enemies.

Jungle Hunt is a chore. I didn't like some of the games this season but it was mostly due to controls, their gameplay was fine. This is just tedious.

Jungle Hunt - 9,100

Legend of Kage 101,000

I only played LoK on 8 bit micros before and it was pretty awful. Arcade version is quite good though, now it all makes sense. The free-flying gameplay can be quite fun. Curiously though, is there no timer in the first stage? You can sort of cheese off the score by hanging in the first forest and killing heaps of enemies.

Jungle Hunt is a chore. I didn't like some of the games this season but it was mostly due to controls, their gameplay was fine. This is just tedious.

I was never really good at Jungle Hunt. I like playing it from time to time and I find the music theme catchy, but it's not something I can play over and over. After about three attempts, I'm bored. Part of it I think is due to the wait times on some of the vine swinging. I just want to speed through it!

• Like 1

The nice thing about Jungle Hunt is that you can practice on the higher levels with the infinite lives (cheat) option accessed through the dip switches. Just be sure to set it back to tournament requirements and hit "reset" before returning to competitive gameplay.

I personally would have preferred the variation where your remaining time is tallied up in points -- it offers more of an incentive to finish the four levels as quickly as possible. Plus it makes it more like the 2600 port, which I still prefer.

• Like 1

I'm snowed in with work, no time to play as much as in the summer. Then, any time I start on Jungle Hunt I just get depressed real quick :)

Luckily LoK is quite amazing. Probably one of the better games in this HSC. Problem is it's really demanding concentration wise and also you need to spam both buttons non stop in order to survive. Wears me out...yeah, I'm old.

Will post some scr$ by deadline, coincidentially this is when I get a free afternoon and some time to play. For now:

LoK- 375,000

JH - 12,200

• Like 1

Damn, I played these games and got some screenshots but I procrastinated posting them because it's a pain to do from my phone. I thought I had until the end of today MDT time but since the thread for the next round is posted I guess that means this one is closed...?

Yes, technically "midnight" is when the calendar day rolls over to the next one but to me this makes the deadline kind of ambiguous. If I see the deadline stated as "March 24 at midnight," in my mind that means that I have all day on March 24 to play, with the competition ending at midnight. Am I the only one who thinks this makes it a bit confusing?

Anyway, on the odd chance that this one isn't closed, I'll post my scores just in case. If it's too late, so be it.

Jungle Hunt - 10,200

post-27528-0-08513700-1553449934_thumb.jpg

LoK - 144,000

post-27528-0-33719200-1553450002_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cynicaster

Damn, I played these games and got some screenshots but I procrastinated posting them because it's a pain to do from my phone. I thought I had until the end of today MDT time but since the thread for the next round is posted I guess that means this one is closed...?

Yes, technically "midnight" is when the calendar day rolls over to the next one but to me this makes the deadline kind of ambiguous. If I see the deadline stated as "March 24 at midnight," in my mind that means that I have all day on March 24 to play, with the competition ending at midnight. Am I the only one who thinks this makes it a bit confusing?

Anyway, on the odd chance that this one isn't closed, I'll post my scores just in case. If it's too late, so be it.

Jungle Hunt - 10,200

attachicon.gif20190320_025356741_iOS.jpg

LoK - 144,000

attachicon.gif20190320_032309234_iOS.jpg

At midnight still is today, at 00:00:01 is the another day.

Jungle Hunt: 12,500

Legend of Kage: 373,500

Made one pass through Jungle Hunt. I think humming along with the theme helped me persevere. It was my first time ever encountering the monkeys. I'm assuming they push you off the vine after a few seconds? I clipped one, but nothing happened.

I was hoping to get to the snow level in Legend of Kage, but that's not happening. The balls thrown by the red ninjas are the most difficult aspect of this game. I dread the wall climb level!

post-37527-0-33169100-1553484791.png

post-37527-0-65302800-1553484948.png

Edited by Ramses