IGNORED

Google set to announce next-gen console. Rumored partnership with SEGA

Due to their deepness into Android and their googleplay shop, along with some weird interworkings to do preferred setups like the Nvidia one with its Tegra only titles, there's a range of opportunity here they really could stake a claim to. But do we really need another microsoft sized cold beast to enter the room?

Ubisoft, Capcom, and Square Enix like to put their stuff on every available platform. I noted that the Onlive lineup was very much the same as PSNow/Plus, as well as Nvidia streaming. If this is in fact a streaming service/box, it will have those software players again.

I believe Google is in a position to make their own hardware without white labeling something from ASUS as they've done before.

I'm pretty saturated with platforms and things to play as it is, but it's always fun to hear about new entries. Hard to believe they'd pour the resources into making it a success to the extent that Microsoft and Sony have.

• Like 2

Just wait until Bezos announces the Amazon Ataribox.

Amazon Game Studios was founded in August 2012. I don't know how much they've put into it, but the output has failed to shake the world. I have similarly low expectations for the Google effort, and I understand why Apple hasn't gotten into games. It's all risk and little reward -- especially when they can just take 30% from App Store/Play Store sales.

• Like 1

But do we really need another microsoft sized cold beast to enter the room?

This is where I'm at.

I like the idea of an Android gaming console, generally speaking. There are a lot of great Android games that could be "ported" and benefit from standard hardware and controllers. FWIW I bought in when Ouya tried it. (and subsequently failed on the controller part)

Google can probably pull it off, but I really don't want another behemoth in gaming, and I don't like Google's current level of reach. I'll stay at the sidelines.

• Like 2

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/03/all-signs-point-to-a-google-game-console-announcement-at-gdc/?amp=1

hmmmm

I think it will be a console but pretty sure it will be streaming only. Just a guess.

A very safe bet to take! I agree with you, that would be the most likely approach. It would be cooler to do everything in a browser or mobile device though.

I think it would be neat to have access to high-end, high-storage games without having to install or patch them. Think MMOs that patch every couple of days.

I wonder what I did with my OnLive micro console? That thing was really cool for what it was, at the time, in my location. I didn't want to feed and care for a big PC games collection and I had the bandwidth for it. Now I've got decent gaming hardware, but even less time for that style of game.

• Like 2

Just wait until Bezos announces the Amazon Ataribox.

Over at the big Ataribox thread (the one with tacos, not the one in this part of the forum), Max Ivi believes it is Atari that Google will partner with. Perhaps both Atari and Sega at the same time, just like AtGames have done it with the mini consoles for a couple of years? The more the merrier.

Sega's about as relevant as Disney in the early 80's; still a large well-recognized company with beloved characters, but the market's changed & they haven't adapted.

Atari's about as relevant as Cinerama; they're gone, but someone keeps insisting on using the name.

If Google wants to make a console they'll need to commit 100 million+ in marketing alone. They have the money, but I'm not sure they have the commitment. A few years ago they tried partering with someone to produce an Android TV system, which made it to the market but went no where.

• Like 1

Yep, they're total dabblers at this. Unless it has something to do with their advertising business ...

I would be astonished if this box wasn't some backside way of getting data on people's gaming habits. Voice chat data in particular would probably be very valuable to google's advertisers.

• Like 4

Well, today's the day the thing's slated to be announced. Frankly, I'm not certain that Google will find much success here. Making a game console generally requires a pretty large commitment that Google rarely demonstrates with their products. Game streaming probably won't pick up much steam unless internet latency gets much better.

Ultimately, though, a system lives and dies based off of the games it has. They already have a couple of big name publishers on board (Ubisoft, Sega), though to what extent they're supporting the system is yet to be seen. I doubt Google themselves are making games for it, given their only game-related output has been a bunch of Google Doodles...

I have to go read about it (not going to watch the propaganda video just yet), but this is the kind of thing that OnLive was doing in 2012. Sony bought up their patents, trademarks, and technology. I'm curious if they'll do anything to bother Google's plans here.

It's the natural evolution IMHO. We have been watching broadcast TV for ages, streaming for a long time. Mainframe computing is the dino precursor to this. Makes sense to me -- though if they have an outage or discontinue service, it's lights out.

• Like 1