IGNORED

Consoles you wouldn't take even if given for free

That is a strange question...

First, I would refuse if I was given a common console; I would say "dude, give it to a fellow collector that doesn't have one, not me who already have 3 of them".

But that aside....

If we say that we can't sell or give the consoles to someone else, I wouldn't take a Jaguar. Unless it was a Jaguar + CD, because the Jeguar is that console where the games are stupidly expensive for the fun provided. Now, with the CD, you can burn games so I'd see some use out of it.

Une the same logic, I would refuse a Neo Geo (Choosing Beggar!) I don't see the point of a free console when 90% of the games are in the hallmark of 500€ each?

Else...

V-smile consoles, from what I've seen, are just trash. I've looked at them and read tests and analysis of them, and they even fail at being educational games.

They are clumsy, poorly made and they have zero educational value.

Now I'm the kind of person who likes oddball consoles, I have the unfamous and obscure Hanimex HMG 7900

(which is probably a clone of the Epoch Cassette Vision, but both consoles are so rare that there isn't any comparison available)

There are several systems I have no interest into because I must stop hoarding :D but none that I wouldn't pass on if offered. So... Meh.

I supper some other answers I've seen here would fit : Atari 5200 (I already have a machine of the 8 bit line) R-zone, Hyperscan... Many portable consoles because I have little interest in them.

This is an interesting question. I'm actually looking at my own choices in my collection history to try to answer it.

Fairchild Channel F. I was holding one, bagged with some accessories, in my hand at Urban Ore in Oakland, CA about 7 years ago. It was marked $20. I put it back on the shelf.

I find this ironic, since my original purpose of opening an eBay account was to find and buy a Channel F.

I was kind of obsessed with it... The idea that it was a console for "retro-masochists". This was also 19 years ago when it was only emulated by MESS and there were just a few carts dumped. A console before Atari that was a struggle to enjoy? I was ceaselessly intrigued.

My friend had a Channel F that he would sometimes fire up instead of his 2600. We found ways to enjoy it in our own way, mostly by making up our own narratives to go along with the really primitive games. The 3 games he had wouldn't have been much fun otherwise.

I'd be hard presses to turn down any working system. Heck, I own many of the ones listed here that other people have said they'd turn down including the educational ones. And es, I do play them from time to time.

(Maybe I'm just strange that way...)

• Like 1

This really is the wrong site for this type of question. :)

That being said, I received a Gameboy (original) in a lot fifteen years ago...and it's sat in a drawer since that time. I have zero interest in collecting or playing it, and would give it away, but it doesn't have a charger, and don't want to pass it on to someone without knowing it works.

Something with bugs in it. I'd terminate that thing with fire. Otherwise, I can't think of a piece of clean, working video game hardware I wouldn't take for free.

This C64 still works after being left outside for over 10 years and full of ants.

I'd turn down a system that I don't have if it didn't come with games and those games were expensive to buy. Otherwise, I'm open to having it in my collection.

I like that answer. I feel the same way about that too. Convenience of use or price are solid reasons not to want to get anywhere near something. I felt that way for years trying to find a VIrtual Boy until I could get one cheap, then I was all about a flash kit for it (another deciding factor) but then dumb luck put a lot of the library or parts of it at least in my hands cheap so you never know what can happen.

CD-I I think is the only one I would outright refuse, its software library is just not interesting to me at all. It's not even something I wanted but couldn't afford back in the day; when it was out, I realized it just was not for me.

I'd PROBABLY refuse any systems that are RF only, simply because I'd have to mod them to even work here, since the channels are different. If the mod was easy enough and the system had a ROM cart, I'd probably take it. (I did buy a 7800 on Ebay even though it's RF only, because of extreme nostalgia and due to the composite video mod being so simple.)

I would definitely refuse pre-VCS/2600 systems. They are just too primitive for me to get any enjoyment out of them.

I'd refuse anything from the PS2 era and later I've already got a Dreamcast (my fav console from that era), and PS2 consoles tend to me iffy (many seem to have problem playing blue discs) plus PS2 emulation is solid enought at this point that I'd rather just emulate. I have a very capable gaming PC and have zero interest in Xbox 360/ONE and PS4.

I'd refuse a lot of the "lesser" handhelds (for lack of a better term). Between the Game Boy (basically a handheld NES experience) and Lynx (kind of like a handheld Amiga plus lots of great arcade ports), all my handheld needs are covered.

Finally, I'd refuse a Master System/Mark III as the Mega Everdrive allows you to play those games on the Megadrive just fine.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 2

It'd be pointless giving the likes of the 7800, C64GS, 2600, GX4000 , NES, Master System etc to myself as i long abandoned actual gaming on 8 bit systems.

16 and 32 bit consoles..would be plugged into a 4K TV and i would imagine would suffer image wise?.

I'd dread to return to early 3D games on CD32, Jaguar, Playstation or Saturn.

If someone were to throw in a free SD TV as well though, i wouldn't say no to a free Jaguar, just to play Tempest 2000 and try the fantastic Jaguar homebrew releases that are being put out these days. .