IGNORED

Consoles you wouldn't take even if given for free

I would not refuse ANY system. I am a TRUE classic gamer. Don't believe me? Try me? What do you want to give me? I have seen 3DO, CD-i, Atari XEGS and Virtual Boy listed in this thread. Who has some they want to donate?

Edited by scotty
  • Like 7

I wouldnt turn down a system. I have a soft spot for the underdog/failed consoles. I really like my cd-I it has the biggest library of games after my 2600 collection. I love my gx4000, because our first home computer was the cpc464.

Amiga cd32 love it. Videopac yes.

• Like 1

Finally, I'd refuse a Master System/Mark III as the Mega Everdrive allows you to play those games on the Megadrive just fine.

I thought about it and this is my answer too. I actually already have an SMS and I usually like to have 2 of each console in my collection, but with the SMS, I'm not sure what the point is if you have an Everdrive. I would definitely refuse another SMS. I might even get rid of the one I have because of this thread.

In a world with an ever growing population and sometimes housing problems, it is good to hear that the AtariAge community in general doesn't have space issues. As long as you get stuff for free, several of you are willing to pile and hoard stuff infinitely. Yes, I've got a little more stuff than I need as well, but even for free I wouldn't hoard more than I had an interest and use of, in particular if we play with the "no trade" rule.

• Like 3

Double post so here's a picture of a homemade ice cream cake FTW:

attachicon.gifMochaWhale2.png

I AM AN ATTORNEY REPRESENTING THE LEGAL INTERESTS OF CARVEL ICE CREAM ® AND I DEMAND THAT YOU IMMEDIATELY CEASE AND DESIST POSTING PHOTOGRAPHS OF ICE CREAM CAKES WHICH INFRINGE ON OUR TRADEMARK "FUDGIE THE WHALE" FORTHWITH AND WITHOUT DELAY OR CONDITIONS

not really, I'm just an idiot who fondly remembers TV commercials like this

• Like 5

I AM AN ATTORNEY REPRESENTING THE LEGAL INTERESTS OF CARVEL ICE CREAM ® AND I DEMAND THAT YOU IMMEDIATELY CEASE AND DESIST POSTING PHOTOGRAPHS OF ICE CREAM CAKES WHICH INFRINGE ON OUR TRADEMARK "FUDGIE THE WHALE" FORTHWITH AND WITHOUT DELAY OR CONDITIONS

not really, I'm just an idiot who fondly remembers TV commercials like this

LOL

We called this one "Mocha the Whale." He was a coffee and vanilla ice cream mix.

I'd almost refuse an R-Zone, but I still can't get over the word "free."

I don't think I'll play by the no trade/selling rule. It just doesn't make sense. I understand the purpose, but the future isn't a given; I cannot guarantee I'll keep anything forever. Even museums don't do that!

Hmmm... That gives me an idea. Anyone want to take an R-Zone as a long term loan? ;)

• Like 1

I don't think I'll play by the no trade/selling rule. It just doesn't make sense.

Perhaps not, but without it I find the whole thread pointless. If you can receive anything for free and then "flip" it tomorrow, even if it turns out to be broken and only worth $2, only people with very high income and lots of more important things to do than deal in old video games would resist from doing it.

It reminds me I rescued a whole box of NOS serial mice for old PC's. They once were donated under the condition they must not be sold, only given away to people who need one. In a buy and sales group on Facebook, I offered a fellow a free mouse, and was contacted by another fellow asking how many mice he could get for free, so he could resell them in his turn... Yeah, just like I could not sell those for $4 each or something like that on my own? After all we were both in a group mostly about vintage computing trading and I've been known for selling stuff before.

I'd almost refuse an R-Zone, but I still can't get over the word "free."

I don't think I'll play by the no trade/selling rule. It just doesn't make sense. I understand the purpose, but the future isn't a given; I cannot guarantee I'll keep anything forever. Even museums don't do that!

Perhaps not, but without it I find the whole thread pointless. If you can receive anything for free and then "flip" it tomorrow, even if it turns out to be broken and only worth $2, only people with very high income and lots of more important things to do than deal in old video games would resist from doing it.

I'm playing by the Moocher's Honor rule- basically, that if one has been offered for free an item of known value, one only accepts with the intent to keep and use said item- to take for the sole purpose of making a profit for yourself is bad form. If later on it becomes apparent that you no longer want to keep this item, depending on the length of time passed, it's preferable to either a) offer to return the item to the original owner so they can sell it if they'd like, or b) give it away yourself.

• Like 3

I'm playing by the Moocher's Honor rule- basically, that if one has been offered for free an item of known value, one only accepts with the intent to keep and use said item- to take for the sole purpose of making a profit for yourself is bad form. If later on it becomes apparent that you no longer want to keep this item, depending on the length of time passed, it's preferable to either a) offer to return the item to the original owner so they can sell it if they'd like, or b) give it away yourself.

^^^ you have our into words the feeling which keeps me from selling the boxed and perfect Turbo Grafx 16 that my neighbor gave to me, no strings attached. I haven't opened, played, or tested it (emulation of TG16 is sufficient for me).

Or maybe it's just laziness, because eBay selling is a hassle.

Not too long ago, (well, by my standards... Realistically 14 years ago might be long ago), the only gear one could reliably find in California thrift stores and Goodwills was piles of Mac LCs, Performas and Quadras.

Calling these "consoles" is probably a stretch... A case could be made for it by enthusiasts maybe. But the fact is no one really wanted them then. I have doubts the demand has increased significantly, but I haven't checked.

I tried to give them a little love and bought a few back then, just for kicks, since I don't think they were ever marked more than $20. Personally I got a little enjoyment from them from a purely old Apple geek standpoint. They never gave me the satisfaction of tinkering with DOS machines from the same era tho. And games were... very macish.

None of the "Mac Stack" made my downsizing cut when I moved in '14, so in a sense I felt it was worth a mention in the thread.