IGNORED

Bad game party

For years I've been wanting to host a Bad Game Party. Basically I would have all my nerd friends over and we would have a tournament of sorts, but only using shitty games. The point would be to force those who inexplicably call me a friend to put in some time on terrible games, giving us a few laughs at the expense of said shitty games, and each other. Of course alcohol would be involved. I want to stick to consoles, so unfortunately that Big Rigs Racing game with the embarrasing clipping is out. I also want to avoid emulation. I have no problem spending money on a few new bad games - after all, I have a complete Jaguar collection. I have most mainstream consoles and lots of 2nd tier ones, so just about anything is fair game.

I haven't put much thought into it beyond that. The games don't actually have to be bad, just easy to make fun of. Cheesy dialogue, goofy premise, etc. I'm considering incorporating a few from this list:

E.T. (Atari 2600)

Mickey's Safari in Letterland (NES)

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (Genesis)

Shaq Fu (Genesis)

Wirehead (Sega CD)

Night Trap (Sega CD or PS4)

Steam Hearts (PC Engine)

Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon (CDI)

Club Drive (Jaguar)

Checkered Flag (Jaguar)

Kasumi Ninja (Jaguar)

Highlander (Jaguar CD)

Superman 64 (N64)

Tomb Raider: the Angel of Darkness (PS2)

Castle Shikigami II (PS2)

Ninjabread Man (Wii)

Deadly Premonition (PS3)

Burger King trilogy (Xbox 360)

Ride to Hell: Retribution (Xbox 360)

Has anybody here done anything similar? Or can you recommend some truly terrible games? Can you think up of a format for a challenge from any bad games (for example, "fly through as many rings as possible in the first stage of Superman 64")?

• Like 2

Bubsy 3D is an easy target too.

Doom on 3DO would make people react too on how poor the port it (but don't get Wolfeinstein 3D because it is an excellent port - well, get it to play it, but don't display it :D )

The BTTF games of the 8/16 bits era are ridiculous. Even the Super Famicom one, while it is enjoyable and has a certain charm with those cartoony graphics is a hellfest of slowdown and the gameplay get very repetitive (Marty is on his hoverboard in all levels, which all share the same basic design).

I'd get rid of all the Jag titles except Club Drive, which would make a great party game. You could also add Cypbermorph for its grating Skylarisms, even though the game itself doesn't suck.

Also consider: Hypnotic Land for the A8, which is tragic for a commerical release (and really, you can pick most LindaSoft releases for this). But I bet booze would make it better!

Bubsy 3D is an easy target too.

Doom on 3DO would make people react too on how poor the port it (but don't get Wolfeinstein 3D because it is an excellent port - well, get it to play it, but don't display it :D )

The BTTF games of the 8/16 bits era are ridiculous. Even the Super Famicom one, while it is enjoyable and has a certain charm with those cartoony graphics is a hellfest of slowdown and the gameplay get very repetitive (Marty is on his hoverboard in all levels, which all share the same basic design).

Good suggestions! I do have Doom on the 3DO...but no 3DO to play it on. Yet. It's the last of the "2nd tier" consoles I have to get yet, from my totally subjective list. I did play Back to the Future 2/3 on the NES as a kid, and I couldn't figure out how to do anything. But that was the same Me who played Simon's Quest and didn't recognize it for the masterpiece it is.

Some other bad games (some might be played on emulators due to price)

Awesome Possum (Genesis)

Action Fighter (Sega Master System)

Action 52 (NES)

Impossamole (TG-16)

Clash at Demonhead (NES) (noted for its quirky dialog)

Action 52 is a perfect game for this. I haven't played the others, but I'll give them a shot. Thanks for the recommendations.

I'd add Fight For Life for the Jaguar to the list. Much worse and less interesting than Kasumi Ninja IMO.

And if you want to keep your "friends" around for a loooooong time, pop in Desert Bus for the Genesis. :lol:

Fight for Life really is terrible. I thought about adding it to the list, but I already had a bunch of Jag games on there. But the framerate alone is good laughable material.

I hadn't thought about Desert Bus. I will find myself a copy of Smoke and Mirrors and give it a shot. That's actually a fantastic idea for this party. Thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...